Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 13:32   #46

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I think that maybe the best way to determine which is best dinghy is to first determine which outboard is best. Or if you want a dinghy that you're just going to row. Basic choice is 6 horsepower or less so you can get it on and off your boat without tackle. Or larger and then you would want a dinghy that can plane.
Well, this is hand in hand decision. 6 hp makes a RIB a tug but an inflatable floor dinghy a speedboat with 2 aboard.

15 hp makes a RIB fast even loaded, but would make an inflatable floor dinghy into a kite.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 15:06   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Dinghies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
What do you folks with aluminum RIBs use for bottom paint?
We don't use bottom paint on ours, but you would have to use an aluminum compatible paint (often known as Vigoro...)

Jim
Old 01-07-2014, 16:32   #48

This comes up so often we should all pitch in and just make a flow chart for deciding what dingy to get.
Then refer askers to that.
Something like:

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:15   #49

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
This comes up so often we should all pitch in and just make a flow chart for deciding what dingy to get.
Then refer askers to that.
Something like:

Another early question is about whether the motor stays on the dinghy, or get's installed before each use and removed afterwards. And then maybe a follow-up about whether a lifting mechanism (halyard, etc.) is available.

Speaks to motor weight.

-Chris
Old 02-07-2014, 08:29   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

Another early question is about whether the motor stays on the dinghy, or get's installed before each use and removed afterwards. And then maybe a follow-up about whether a lifting mechanism (halyard, etc.) is available.

Speaks to motor weight.

-Chris
Yeah, we need to list all the variables to make the decision tree!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:10   #51

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Has anyone checked out the inflatable cat dinghies @ boatstogo.com?
Very reasonably priced and they seem to be frequently "sold out".
Old 02-07-2014, 10:31   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I've always thought the porta botes were jokes, but some people seem to really love them. I thinking of maybe trying one if I can find a good deal on one. I would cross an air floor of 10-11 feet as I have had two and they are just to floppy to run with a decent sized motor.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:33   #53

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I've always thought the porta botes were jokes, but some people seem to really love them. I thinking of maybe trying one if I can find a good deal on one. I would cross an air floor of 10-11 feet as I have had two and they are just to floppy to run with a decent sized motor.

If you think the air floor is floppy you may want to avoid a portabote. I have one and it serves it's purpose so far but I'm still trying to iron out a few kinks. I have had a Hypalon Avon rib with a 9.9hp engine, an air floor Zodiac PVC/4hp that came with a bought I bought and now a folding boat. Right now the jury is out on the portabote for me but I wanted to give it a try. One thing to note is that it is one of the ugliest boats on the water. If it serves the purpose I need (durable) then I'm ok with that. We were able to get it to plane with a 4hp 2 stroke Evinrude with 2 adults and large dog after some adjusting of the motor trim.

Issues I've had :
No obvious way to attach a lifting bridle
One dock line at the bow
Hot seats
Need to cover foam protecting it from UV

Most of these are manageable with some time and patience. I have yet to find a perfect dink.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:23   #54

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Not serious CRUISERS, but seriously in a hurry..
I plan to have a 50hp dinghy myself..
50hp electric RIB......I can see it now.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 13:18   #55

Boat: Bristol 41.1

We currently use a 10 ft. Achilles inflatable-floor hypalon dinghy with a 6hp Evinrude 2-stroke. It will easily plane with one person aboard, and usually with two as well, conditions permitting. As we are typically cruising as a couple, when we have an additional passenger or two, we just motor a bit more sedately and enjoy the scenery.

All things being equal, I would have preferred a fiberglass RIB (primarily for the improved abrasion resistance), and with a couple more hp. However, the current motor weighs only a bit more than 50 lbs., the dinghy itself is easy to handle, whether carried, stowed inflated on the foredeck, or lashed in its stowage bag to the cabin top. For our needs, it works well and the compromises are worthwhile. Plus, the ability to pack it up and store belowdecks is useful in some locales.

Large diameter tubes are another detail worth consideration in any inflatable.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 13:26   #56

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

I would cross an air floor of 10-11 feet as I have had two and they are just to floppy to run with a decent sized motor.

For OP's benefit, you might hum a few more bars about that.

I think from his post that he's looking for a light enough boat to lift aboard, small enough footprint aboard (as in, perhaps deflated) to fit his boat, and presumably a motor he can lift on and off (mount, dismount) as requirements demand.

I suspect that argues against a "decent sized motor" and the idea of planing, but you could maybe help by adding some example numbers (boat weight, motor weight and horsepower, etc.).

I would probably agree an 11' air floor inflatable with a 90-lb 15-hp outboard could be a bit much to handle... might not plane well or comfortably... but maybe that's not what OP has to focus on first, maybe still considering which criteria to emphasize, which to avoid, where to compromise....

-Chris
Old 02-07-2014, 14:47   #57

Boat: Bristol 41.1

This is similar to the dinghy we currently use, and here is the linky:

Achilles Inflatable Crafts

Photo courtesy of Achilles.

For overall utility this type of choice works well, and I suspect, for the size of the mother boat intended, may be worthy of consideration.

Is it as seaworthy at speed as a rigid bottom, of course not. But it gets pretty close
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Achilles dinghy pic.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	84333  
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 15:08   #58

Boat: Little Harbor 38

We currently have a Achilles LSI88 with a Yamaha 6hp on a 38 footer. It's a high pressure bottom inflatable. The boat is small and light enough to flip up on the foredeck by hand when we day sail. I hate towing - it's noisy and slow. For offshore passages we deflate and stow in an aft locker. The inflatable plans easily with two and when family is aboard we can carry five - it's tight but ok. It's easy to carry up beaches with two people.

We use to have a bigger AB RIB and 15 hp. Both very heavy and always hard to deal with plus what do you do with it offshore? It's been three years and we are still happy with the change

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 15:47   #59

I used a 10' Portabote for 6 months in the Carib. It was a used one that looked little used. The hull was very good, folded up into a 4-6 inch panel, 24 wide. strapped to deck. It towed ok but not great without motor on. With a 6hp tohatsu it moved quite briskly. The weakness of the boat is the other components, oars were junk, seats became punctured by the seat supports from underneath. We ran into another Portabote owner on Water Island, USVI and he asked if our seats gave out yet. Three months later yes they gave out. My wife weighs 115 lb and the owner claims they are rated 300#, new ones even more?The owner if the company is combative and doesn't seam to understand he could make the product so much better with some relatively small changes. For insight signup for the "portabote forum" in Yahoo. There were many complaints about the transoms also. I have been off that site for 18 months. Try to find a used one on Craig's list if you bite.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 16:09   #60

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

porta-bote foldup boat.

Here is a 10ft portabote for $600. Seems like it would be a wet ride in a chop.

Hey look, a 'foldaboat' for $500, aluminum, and has nice rubrails.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4550041044.html