Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2015, 17:48   #76

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1
Re: Difference Between Coastal And Blue Water Cruising

Go to a strictly sail show like Miami. You'll quickly see the difference between blue water and coastal. It was surprisingly clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
KeepInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 19:05   #77

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepInTune View Post
Go to a strictly sail show like Miami. You'll quickly see the difference between blue water and coastal. It was surprisingly clear.

seeing many of us here can't do that perhaps you can share some of the insights.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 23:18   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepInTune View Post

Been there in the past. Didn't see anything surprising related to BW vs Coastal. Care to enlighten us?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 05:19   #79
cruiser

Heavy duty vs light duty. On the boats most would consider blue water capable, you'll see that everything from the rigging, deck cleats, windlass are upgraded and overbuilt. At the show three days ago we were in a lovely Beneteau, where my wife pointed out to me the fact that there was no way to brace yourself or hold onto anything while cooking in the galley. Not ideal if you plan on ever cooking a meal while underway or at a rolly anchorage, but certainly very nice for entertaining dockside in a marina or in a calm, protected cove. Also, I pointed out to the salesman that I'd almost cut my knuckles twice on the sharp wooden edges beneath the grab bars leading up through the companionway... Certainly not an idea design element, but he assured me that most people considering the boat wouldn't be too worried about that.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 05:54   #80

Boat: Scout 30

I wanted to say I appreciate Kenomac's point before this thread devolves into: it's not the boat, it's the sailor, there are plenty of people sailing around the world in Hu... & then finally it's sad conclusion that a family of 4 can safely sail around the world in a MacGregor 26 if they just know what they are doing. Too often the lack of hand holds in some new boats is discounted as trivial but it is an indication of the intended purpose of the boat. If the market doesn't understand the difference between boats designed & built for coastal cruising as opposed to boats designed for offshore sailing it cannot react properly & only the cheapest boats/builders are rewarded.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:39   #81
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
At the show three days ago we were in a lovely Beneteau, where my wife pointed out to me the fact that there was no way to brace yourself or hold onto anything while cooking in the galley. Not ideal if you plan on ever cooking a meal while underway or at a rolly anchorage, but certainly very nice for entertaining dockside in a marina or in a calm, protected cove. .
My point is demonstrated in the video below. The couple purchased a coastal cruiser and is currently attempting to circumnavigate on the Beneteau. They've had multiple problems so far including the rudder coming loose. At the seven minute point, she will demonstrate the difficulty in preparing a simple sandwich onboard a boat lacking hand handholds, bracing and counter holds. Enjoy, I love watching their videos:

Old 20-02-2015, 12:26   #82

Quote:
My point is demonstrated in the video below. The couple purchased a coastal cruiser and is currently attempting to circumnavigate on the Beneteau. They've had multiple problems so far including the rudder coming loose. At the seven minute point, she will demonstrate the difficulty in preparing a simple sandwich onboard a boat lacking hand handholds, bracing and counter holds. Enjoy, I love watching their videos:

Her hand eye coordination is pretty damn good, watching her catch those jars. Yes these interior layouts are really poorly laid out for offshore but 99% of these boats are used for charter and are great dock/at anchor boats.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 12:45   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Her hand eye coordination is pretty damn good, watching her catch those jars. Yes these interior layouts are really poorly laid out for offshore but 99% of these boats are used for charter and are great dock/at anchor boats.
She's lucky to still have all her fingers. If the same girl was preparing a sandwich on our boat which has a galley style kitchen, or on a boat with a U shaped galley, she would wedge herself in behind the counter top which has high molding surrounds to secure the plates and veggies and creates a handhold. She wouldn't be moving around and neither would the pickles, tomatoes and knives, and she'd still have her hands free. Like the fellows in this video:

Buy hey... what do I know?

Here's a picture of an Oyster 53 galley
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oyster galley.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	97537  
Old 20-02-2015, 13:58   #84

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I loved the video. And whilst she is really cute and endearing ( as all Aussies are) she is either really stupid or was making the sandwiches like that on purpose. I suspect the latter. That's not how you make sandwitches in a roll even doing costals.

The lack of sufficient power was the most rediculous aspect to me. On any boat there should be enough power that you don't need candles and head lamps at night.

I can't see it, but gally should either have a bum strap or the ability to wedge yourself in. This is not just a need for blue water, it's also necessary for costal on any mono sail boat.

Looking around that cabin there certainly did seem to be a distinct lack of hand holds. But they are necessary not just for blue water, there necessary for costal trips on any mono hull sailing vessel.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 14:09   #85

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Been there in the past. Didn't see anything surprising related to BW vs Coastal. Care to enlighten us?
Sure. I went two days to the Miami show and it was very clear to me which boats had a tough/quality/strong feel and the boats that didn't. I'm a novice on the difference but even I could spot a clear divide. On each boat I would ask my wife: "does this boat feel like it is strong enough to sail the Atlantic?". After walking both above and below deck she could just tell. While we couldn't see or access hull shape, keel style, or displacement the rest of the build reeked of quality, longevity, and "thickness". She could feel or sense it. I could also, as well as see it in the build and components.

I'm not critiquing or saying any particular boat "couldn't" manage crossing or Manage blue water work, as I'm sure they could. I'm just saying there is a clear difference in appropriateness.
KeepInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 14:11   #86
cruiser

That's not the boat's problem, that's her lack of experience. (Not all of it, but most of it. The boat looks like it's missing a few things.) She could probably be taught a great deal of what she doesn't know. The skipper looks like he's in his twenties, which means he hasn't been at sea long enough to know how to teach. He hasn't been alive long enough to know. He threw her down there and decided she'd figure it out.

If she wanted to come aboard and make sandwiches for me, I'd teach her.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 14:28   #87
cruiser

Nearly all the modern sailboats are being sold to the women, where if the woman likes the boat... the male gets permission to buy. The manufacturers know that the female half of the couple wants a galley and/or interior layout that looks like the kitchen they have at home. The women also want a deck and cockpit which looks like a land-based patio complete with a grill... for the guy.

If you only plan make short passages and pre-prepare all your meals, and plan to stay in calm anchorage coves and in marinas, these boats should work out just fine. Actually, they do a great job at their intended purpose.

In the short video with the two fellows cooking, watch how the two of them move around whilst using the many well-placed, built in and incorporated hand holds. The cook has something to grab onto all the way from the stove up to the helm. Then notice how the Beneteau is completely missing any well-placed hand holds in the video with the attractive Aussie. Only one vertical handhold to the left of the counter in the entire saloon.
Old 20-02-2015, 14:33   #88

Quote:
Nearly all the modern sailboats are being sold to the women, where if the woman likes the boat... the male gets permission to buy. The manufacturers know that the female half of the couple wants a galley and/or interior layout that looks like the kitchen they have at home. The women also want a deck and cockpit which looks like a land-based patio complete with a grill.

If you only plan make short passages and pre-prepare all your meals, and plan to stay in calm anchorage coves and in marinas, these boats should work out just fine. Actually, they do a great job at their intended purpose.
Nice galleys and cockpits aren't just for the women. Guys like those, too.

By the way, isn't this how you use your boat? Anchoring in the Med and sailing in decent weather windows?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 14:34   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
That's not the boat's problem, that's her lack of experience. (Not all of it, but most of it. The boat looks like it's missing a few things.) She could probably be taught a great deal of what she doesn't know. The skipper looks like he's in his twenties, which means he hasn't been at sea long enough to know how to teach. He hasn't been alive long enough to know. He threw her down there and decided she'd figure it out.

If she wanted to come aboard and make sandwiches for me, I'd teach her.

I think you guys are missing the entire concept that she was making an entertaining video. I remember there was a Gilligan's Island episode with a similar scene.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 14:52   #90
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Nice galleys and cockpits aren't just for the women. Guys like those, too.

By the way, isn't this how you use your boat? Anchoring in the Med and sailing in decent weather windows?
We've also sailed the English channel, then crossed the Bay of Biscay, sailed down around Portugal and Spain. Several passages back and forth across the Med. Not every day has been calm and easy. Our original plan was to immediately bring the boat across the Atlantic from England then spend a few seasons sailing up to Canada, Newfoundland and off New England. We planned for the worst conditions, purchased a boat best suited for our expected needs, then changed our mind and decided to take a left turn into the Med. Plans changed.

We'll probably even do a Dockhead type Baltic cruise after 3-4 more years in the Med before coming across to the Americas.

When we live on a boat full-time for 5-6 months of the year on the hook, there's no such thing as only being on the boat and sailing in picture perfect weather windows. Sometimes the weather unexpectedly turns foul and once in a while we have deadlines and planes to catch.

Tags
cruising, enc, water