Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-10-2011, 04:29   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Diesel in the Water Tank !

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Shazam.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:20   #17
F51

Ok, here is what worked for me. Bought some Bio-Bilge from a chemical company here in Kemah. It is designed for cleaning bilges. It claims to be non-toxic and environmentally safe, but I called the chemist and spoke with him. When I asked if it was safe to use his product in a water tank, he asked, " Got some diesel in your water tank did you?" I said yes, and he told me he has had many people use his product to emulsify the diesel in a water tank. He said to drain the tank and take the water to an oil recycle station. Put 7oz of the Bio-Bilge in the tank and fill it with fresh water. Slosh it around as much as possible. Drain again and re-fill with fresh water. Repeat until all traces of the Bio-Bilge are gone (it tastes a bit soapy). For me that was 4 flushes. Now there is no hint of diesel smell in the water and the water actually tastes better than my untreated starboard tank. I am a satisfied customer.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:39   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

warm/hot water with Joy or other dishwashing detergent, take the boat out in choppy water so it will slosh around well. Drain the tank and multi flush. May need a second go around.

If I were building a boat I would probably put the diesel fill and vent in the cockpit, I hate dealing with fuel on the side of the boat and in the water... at least in the cockpit I can contain it well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 09:35   #19

can you do heating on the tank to remove remaining water?
Old 14-12-2012, 10:02   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Of course. Water evaporates when heated. Just be patient to make sure it all gets out.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:33   #21

Has anyone converted a standard polyethylene fresh water tank into a fuel tank? I know that cross-linked polyethylene tanks are used as replacement fuel tanks in trucks. Assuming you replaced the hoses with fuel line, do you think this would work. Any issues/problems?
Old 11-01-2015, 07:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
warm/hot water with Joy or other dishwashing detergent, take the boat out in choppy water so it will slosh around well. Drain the tank and multi flush. May need a second go around.

If I were building a boat I would probably put the diesel fill and vent in the cockpit, I hate dealing with fuel on the side of the boat and in the water... at least in the cockpit I can contain it well.
It is a good location in most sailing. In our Tartan 44 the vent was in the cockpit and on a very rough sail in the SP the cockpit was filled 3 times. Had quite the engine bill when it was all over.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:33   #23

Boat: Hylas 49, 2000

Certainly, PE tanks have been used as fuel tanks for years on cars and trucks. The first problem that I would see would be that the tank would have to be well padded and strapped down very well so that it doesn't wear through anywhere. The other problem, I suspect, is that over time the diesel will saturate the PE and you will have a slight diesel odor coming through the tank wall.

The good thing about PE, compared with the price of a stainless tank, you could replace it at any hint of a problem.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:45   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't know why, but almost all water tanks I have ever seen were a translucent sort of white see through, but all fuel tanks I've seen are black. On some types of plastics color changes the properties, does it here?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
diesel, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: