Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2016, 20:33   #1

Boat: Southcoast 36
Devonport Tasmania - Do I want to live there?

Hi all

Looks like a possible opportunity for work for me in Devonport Tassie. Visited there years ago but can't really remember much and didn't have a yacht then.

Anyone out there familiar with the area? We would want to sail there and live aboard.

Looking from afar we see a mooring area and small marina at the yacht club in the Mersey river. Anyone with experience of either as somewhere to live aboard? Any restrictions to know about?

What about the city itself? What is the general vibe, friendly, reasonable facilities and services?

Is it as cold as it looks!? General weather comments?

Surrounding coast for cruising, fishing? Lots to see and do?

The recent floods look like they have caused some damage with boats included in the losses. Is this an unusual event for the river so that every season we would be wanting to get out of Dodge?

We also see Port Sorrell to the east. Is that another option for live aboard location with a bit of a commute to Devonport?

Am going to contact the yacht club too and hopefully visit before accepting a position but wanted to get the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 20:39   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Devonport Tasmania - Do I want to live there?

Nice place. Have only spent a few days there on a boat, but I used to live in the Tamar onboard. Yes its cold in winter by aussie standards. You are going to be in the hands of the YC as far as living aboard so a lot depends on their attitude and your ability to not upset things... Port Sorrell only has drying pile berths up a creek, and a few moorings in strong tidal areas. Not ideal for living aboard.

You might also be able to live in Launceston and commute, or in Ulverstone or wynyard.

Certainly is a nice part of the world.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-07-2016, 20:43   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Devonport Tasmania - Do I want to live there?

Reasonable overnight cruising out to Deal Island, and flinders island. Allow three days to sail down to hobart. Not much daysailing except the nearby rivers. Tamar is nice for cruising. Bass straight has its moments!