Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 16:36   #1

Boat: 2008 Jeanneau 42 DS
Desperately Seeking Dinghy in the USVI

Hello Everyone,

We are Ace and Tammy from Los Angeles, CA. We bought a Sailboat in St Johns USVI.
Our problem other than having Zero experience in sailing is that the boat we bought does not come with a dinghy.

Our dilemma, after searching the internet I found no one selling a used dinghy on the island. We need to get to our boat...

Are there any water taxis in Great Cruz Bay that can take us to our boat or should we bother other boaters to give us rides from and to the pier?

We are schedule to move onboard in the next two weeks and we are stressing out because we are flying from Los Angeles and do not have transportation to the boat. What should we do? Any ideas or leads for used dinghies please. Buying a new one is out of our budget.

Thank you

Ace & Tammy
Sailing Baylana
www.youtube.com/fastlink
Sailing Baylana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 16:57   #2
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40
Re: Desperately Seeking Dinghy in the USVI

Swim?

No dink?........

Seriously, I would think it's easier to do while there..........
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 17:07   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ace, you're flying from LA. Go to WM and buy a roll-up dinghy with a carry bag, repair kit, and a pump, and paddle/ row to and from the boat, it's good for you!

You may be able to pick up a small o/b, or not, and if not, it will limit you. If you can locate an old Avon Redcrest with its oars, on e-bay or craigslist, try that, [take a repair kit with you]. You really need the dink, and never leave the boat without making sure you can row into the wind you have at the time; pay attention to the forecasts, better to leave the boat when wind is diminishing. (fwiw, Jim and I sit side by side to row, when we row. My job is to row steady, even strokes; his, to row with me, but adding force when we need to turn.)

You will find yourself stopping early in the day, to anchor as close in as possible. Do try to get hold of a reliable motor for it at some point, it will make life easier. We knew some folks with a Redcrest, and they found a way to manage through some years of cruising, always without a motor, so it's doable, to go without one, when you're fit.

Ann
Old 23-01-2017, 17:07   #4

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Perhaps the seller or the broker can give you direction. How did you get to the boat when you looked at it.

But, in reality, you are going to need to buy a dinghy right away. Why not pick up a new pvc inflate able from westmarine, the go on sale for $600, try and negotiate price then take it as baggage on your flight. At least you'll have some means of going ashore. It may be a real challenge without a motor though.

Good luck and congratulations on your purchase.
Old 23-01-2017, 17:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Perhaps the seller or the broker can give you direction. How did you get to the boat when you looked at it.

But, in reality, you are going to need to buy a dinghy right away. Why not pick up a new pvc inflate able from westmarine, the go on sale for $600, try and negotiate price then take it as baggage on your flight. At least you'll have some means of going ashore. It may be a real challenge without a motor though.

Good luck and congratulations on your purchase.
Carl on Craigslist in USVA has a 10ft inflatable for 55 Call him757/912-1131 You bought a 42 Benny with not enough for a good dinghy!!! Brave souls.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 18:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Baylana View Post
Hello Everyone,

We are Ace and Tammy from Los Angeles, CA. We bought a Sailboat in St Johns USVI.
Our problem other than having Zero experience in sailing is that the boat we bought does not come with a dinghy.

Our dilemma, after searching the internet I found no one selling a used dinghy on the island. We need to get to our boat...

Are there any water taxis in Great Cruz Bay that can take us to our boat or should we bother other boaters to give us rides from and to the pier?

We are schedule to move onboard in the next two weeks and we are stressing out because we are flying from Los Angeles and do not have transportation to the boat. What should we do? Any ideas or leads for used dinghies please. Buying a new one is out of our budget.

Thank you

Ace & Tammy
Sailing Baylana
www.youtube.com/fastlink
DUH! SEveral on Craigslist!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 18:29   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Umm...

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you can't afford a dinghy, what will happen when you find that your "new"boat needs a sail, or rigging, or whatever. You know, the kind of things that boats frequently require?

When folks approach CF with budget questions associated with buying a boat when inexperienced, the usual advice is to hold out something like 25% or more of one's capital for expenditures AFTER the purchase. Your situation is a great example of why!

I do not know if the advice to buy one and hand carry as luggage is doable on your air carrier(s), but it is one way to attack the problem. In desperation, you could buy one of the very light duty inflatables like Seyvlor (sp?). They are barely usable, but would allow you to get out to your boat. They are both cheap and light, making the transportation easier for you.

Or you could take the optimistic approach and count on finding a local yottie with a spare dink and a kind heart. If there is a group of real cruisers around, that is almost likely, and they tend to be helpful folks. I'm not familiar with the USVI scene, so don't know what to expect along those lines...

Honestly, I feel a bit worried about your situation, but you have demonstrated courage so far and I hope that it works out for you.

Jim
Old 23-01-2017, 18:38   #8

Boat: Boatless

Over the years we have helped many cruisers with rides to and from their boat and tows and I am sure that someone at the dock will help you.

However, patience runs thin with people who become dependent, buy the cheapest ride you can row! The nearest chandlery is in Red Hook, a 15 min ferry ride away but not cheap, cheaper to buy in the US and pay the excess baggage.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 18:39   #9

Have you considered a kayak short-term?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 18:44   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ace & Tammy,

I would not assume availability there of all the kit in addition to the dinghy that you need that goes with the dinghy: pump to inflate it, line for the painter (the line you will tie it up with), and a repair kit for the type of inflatable. Or, once there, look for any dinghy you can handle, you might be able to get a cast-off from a charter company, but expect to be fixing it -- A LOT.

Considering the size of boat you have bought, I made an error of judgment, I thought you meant your budget did not extend to a $5,000 RIB and $2,000 outboard. I did not "get it" that a small WM dinghy would be "too much".

If the Sevylor is available where you are, it is quite light weight, but not very tough. If you get one of them, do not expect it to last very many years in constant use.

However you solve the problem, good luck with it.....

Ann
Old 23-01-2017, 19:10   #11
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Baylana View Post
Hello Everyone,

Thank you

Ace & Tammy
Sailing Baylana
www.youtube.com/fastlink
Sad story.
You guys may not be ready for what you are trying to do if you have to scream for help on the internet about a used dink.
Get down there and solve it.
The first day or two some cruiser will give you a ride to your anchored boat.
After that you fix the problem and buy dinner and drinks to your water taxi guys that helped you out.
A good dink is a must, budget $1-2k for a used one or $3-4K for a new dink and motor.
Minimum 310 with a minimum 4HP motor, but many ways to skin a cat.
A 310 can take up to 15hp,
For full time cruising most folks prefer a RIB and a 15hp Yamaha.

Hard to find a good used dink/motor combo, because if it is good, nobody is selling.
Used rubber dinks will in many cases have a slow leak and a used motor may run, but may have been dunked in salt water and that is a slow death, corroding electrics, etc.
Been there, done that.
Buy new with a warranty and with discount from Defender or similar.
That being said, having a new rig in the islands may invite theft.
Make it look rough and paint the new motor bright yellow.
Been there done that and lived on a sailboat in the USVI.
The saying back then was to have 2 of everything, one for you, and one for the natives to steal and keep.
Old 23-01-2017, 19:38   #12

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

What is with these people buying big boats, knowing nothing about what they are doing, going for the big adventure. Is it becoming a scam for a "Go Fund Me"? Wish this scam was around when I had $50k in medical bills for my late wife, 20% out of network, or when my inflatable died after 18 years, or two years ago when I had an emergency haul out when the hose on my rudder post burst, and I was taking on water, only 5 miles out. This used to be a cruisers forum, not a wannabe forum. Sailed most my life, cruised for 10, and I am still on the learning curve. Might be time to take a break from here. I like following cruisers helping cruisers, but not this nonsense.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 20:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
What is with these people buying big boats, knowing nothing about what they are doing, going for the big adventure. Is it becoming a scam for a "Go Fund Me"? Wish this scam was around when I had $50k in medical bills for my late wife, 20% out of network, or when my inflatable died after 18 years, or two years ago when I had an emergency haul out when the hose on my rudder post burst, and I was taking on water, only 5 miles out. This used to be a cruisers forum, not a wannabe forum. Sailed most my life, cruised for 10, and I am still on the learning curve. Might be time to take a break from here. I like following cruisers helping cruisers, but not this nonsense.
I think the answers are in the posted advertising link...
Old 23-01-2017, 20:39   #14
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:

What he said..........

Question Stupidty..........
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 20:40   #15

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
I think you might like to try sugar in your tea for a change. WAY too much lemon juice !!
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy