Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 12:26   #1

Describe the Cruising Life / Lifestyle...

Just want to hear from people that have done it. In maybe a sentence or two describe what you feel the cruising life is and what its all about. Whether you find it amazing, boring, horrible, the best thing ever, hard work, or whatever you feel. This is for a little experiment I am doing.

And please no responses of people saying they cant describe it, I know it’s a broad question with many different and complicated answers.....either answer it how you feel or just don’t write anything.
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:43   #2

Experiencing reality instead of just taking a vacation from it - while getting to know the parts of the planet that don't make it into a travel brochure; without a carry on baggage limit, nor the ubiquitous investment in Paris Hilton's party fund.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 13:12   #3

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Being there

Exploration! what's around the next corner?
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 13:16   #4

Cruising is mostly not about sailing; it’s about playing around in Paradise on Island Time while living on a boat. There are always boat chores to do, and they usually get done sooner or later. But if it takes awhile and you’re already in paradise, maybe the next island will just have to wait - it’s always Island Time everywhere in paradise, mon.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 13:21   #5

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
the cruising life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniello View Post
Just want to hear from people that have done it. In maybe a sentence or two describe what you feel the cruising life is and what its all about. Whether you find it amazing, boring, horrible, the best thing ever, hard work, or whatever you feel. This is for a little experiment I am doing.

And please no responses of people saying they cant describe it, I know it’s a broad question with many different and complicated answers.....either answer it how you feel or just don’t write anything.
The cruising life for Sally and me is perfection we do what we like when we like and where we like and we have been in love for 20 years. Not a big record I know but when you read about the film stars of today I guess it is a record. Ah well off to bed having just stripped all the varnish just to put more on to look even better, for us. Think I will stay in bed in the morning its raining. Such is the cruising live. JUST PERFECT.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 13:40   #6

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
The wife and I, we like to travel, and our boat gets us there...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 14:29   #7

Good good post.
dniello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 16:16   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

New places, new faces...
New sights, new sounds..
New taste's, new smells...
The ability to move house without Rent a Van..
an ever changing backyard...
living outside the "Box"..
and seeing things that the masses only see on the "Box"...
And the blessing of being scared shitless once in a while...
Coz "Boy...!! you don't half appreciate your life when you come out the other side..."

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 16:32   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
taking your home(boat) with ye whilst finding new places to explore and hangout for as long as ye wishes..lol.....not being in a hurry and not having a time clock in your head telling ye what and where and how to do things.....findin gnew foods and new friends and new.....which are really actually not new lol....have fun!!! living life and loving living....what else!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 16:53   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I love to travel
I love my familiar bed
I like to choose my neighbors
I hate to commute
I hate to commute
I hate to commute
When you clear the breakwater…. The horizon is yours!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 17:03   #11

Boat: a sailing boat
Sailing - fun.

Cruising - ok.

Cruising life - boring.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 18:15   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
ogh barnakiel, so cynical. There is no doubt that long distance sailing is a drag, but its a means to get to places. what I like is the freedom, to stay or go , however money affects everything, so that usually determines what happens.

In general I like boat chores ( its way better then mowing the lawn) as they say a bad day on the water beats a good day in the office anytime
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 18:40   #13

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 20:28   #14

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
What is cruising

Cruising is:

Meeting new people who like you share the freedome of doing what you like.
Hanging out in beautiful places.
Managing your own maintenance, provisions, well life without outside interference.

But it is also:

Dealing with horrible weather.
Getting up at 3:00 AM to watch the anchor or tend to it.

Some mind numbing boredom occaisionally.

So, you are on your own with no one but yourself to look out for you. That appeals to some of us and terrifies others.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 23:38   #15

Boat: Compass 47
Cruising is:

Maintaining and repairing a complex machine on a limited budget in a corrosive environment without the benefit of the proper tools or materials or the ability speak the local language. (I may have made that up myself, but I suspect that Stuart and Casey had some input, although I wouldn’t discount the possibility that somebody else said it first.) In other words: "Nobody speaks English and everything is broken.” – Tom Waits

On first glance, this may sound like a drag, but it is actually quite a lot of fun if you let it be. You will meet new friends, learn new language, find an alternative way of doing things, and you will be forced to relax and experience life from a new perspective in beautiful surroundings.

Oh, and the highs are higher and the lows are lower. Nothing can make you cranky like three weeks of relentless rain in a lousy anchorage with a broken whatever eating surprises from cans with the labels worn off. Nothing will bring you more pleasure than meeting old or new friends in fantastic or unusual places to eat fresh Wahoo and lobstrocities and to laugh and dance and sing and generally carry on inappropriately.

And your tan lines will tend to fade.
Panaseaya is offline   Reply With Quote