Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 21:22   #31

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler
Re: derelict boats -not Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Don...Is that a steel boat rusting or a cement boat with it's internal wire gassing off?
I see what you did there.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 21:31   #32

Re: Derelict Boats - Not Florida

Last I heard you can't even haul a boat anymore (even here in the Caribbean), without insurance. Imagine trying to get insurance on THAT steely, no matter how beautiful.
sailorchick34; if that boat has been sitting for at least 4 years, I can guaranty you that that is not surface rust. She has scale of some depth and the inside could actually be worse. Have you thought of tanks, electrical, plumbing, etc.?
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 21:31   #33

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
HA had my Eye on that tug too. Pitty it went aground by the sugar mill. Saw it then too.. Its on a sand bar in the photo, its not quite as bad as it looked

There was a fella liveaboard it when it was anchored in the napa river across from mare Island.

Not enough sails for my taste though....
Is this the same tug here shown along the east side of Mare Island Strait?

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 21:32   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

If it is FC which is hard to tell in the photo's then OK its an eyesore... Another dream squashed... thank god!
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 21:33   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Is this the same tug here shown along the east side of Mare Island Strait?

Yes it is. It was there for over a year. The other anchor out down stream from there now has the waterline going up and down with the tide. Though at least the decks get washed now...
Old 09-09-2012, 21:36   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Last I heard you can't even haul a boat anymore (even here in the Caribbean), without insurance. Imagine trying to get insurance on THAT steely, no matter how beautiful.
sailorchick34; if that boat has been sitting for at least 4 years, I can guaranty you that that is not surface rust. She has scale of some depth and the inside could actually be worse. Have you thought of tanks, electrical, plumbing, etc.?
Your right, I sort of figured the inside would be a gut and go. Tanks, electrical and plumbing I can do. Welding, not really. I'm good at making sparks but thats about it...

AH insurance, That would be fun to get....
Old 09-09-2012, 21:40   #37

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

So, SailorChic, presumably you've been following the slow, southward drifting of this hulk (WWII boat hull with motor home) in the MI Stait. Lately, the waterline has depended on the tidal height. The deck was nearly awash the last time observed (within a week).

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 21:41   #38
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

I was in Provincetown in 1991 and there was a large commercial ship of some kind on the beach near a pier. It was old and rusting but beautiful in its way.

Is it still there? It struck me at the time how tolerant (or maybe just cheap?) the city was to leave it there.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 21:45   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Least the insides gets a good cleaning now. That boat was a bit rough even for me... Ah motorhome, I was trying to figure what that was every time I saw it..

There's a lovely houseboat off china camp too. Been there oh 4-5 months now or more. I'm sure the home owners on the hill, love that guy..
Old 09-09-2012, 22:24   #40

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
I see what you did there.
uhg???

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I believe it is liability insurance protecting the yard. You're not insuring the boat but that in case it or you become a liability through damage. I just received a quote for my boat as I am going into a new harbor in SF bay. It was only $100.
Quote:
If it is FC which is hard to tell in the photo's then OK its an eyesore... Another dream squashed... thank god!
Ferro Cement...One rock looking for another...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 22:58   #41
cruiser

Don Lucas... I feel your pain.

I can't understand how anyone can defend those rotting seagull toilets, usually just eyesores put in place to either hold a mooring in someones name or house a bum.

Newport Beach, California is also home to at least 100 of them.... Sausalito, CA, the same. Why do the cities put up with it??
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:54   #42
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Yep, for oh $15k and a ton of sweat its would be a sweet boat. Lots of potential. Good lines, looks like the rig is there. A few good used sails, paint and it would be a boat to sail about anywhere. Bet it could be had cheap if you could find the owner.

There in lies the problem, one mans Derelict is anothers field of dreams.

Maybe if everyone on CF chipped in a dollar, The board as a whole could offer a future charter boat for members and good for nothing layabouts like me.

I've got a $1 for it...

Now see what you started Don....
I guess the photos didn't do a good job of showing the boat! I wouldn't pay $1 TOTAL for the boat.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:01   #43

Boat: contessa 32

Hey com'n, It is axiomatic in the the Real Estate appraisal business and just about every other human endeavor that what you see on the outside is an indicator of what you cannot see in the inside;not to mention that steel boats rust from the inside out.Does any experienced boat owner here believe that this craft has a salvageable interior?
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:23   #44

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Hi all,

Here in DK we also have a derelict boat problem. Just how do you solve it in the US? Please note that boats here do not have a registry number, so ownership is frequently a problem.

Who does what with the derelicts? If we want to dispose of the boat, first we have to derig it gut the interior, pull the engine/gearbox etc, sort all this stuff into separate piles of metal, wood etc and then we can take a chain saw to the fiberglass.

Are there companies in Florida/USA that do this fro a living? Does anyone have a link?

Any help will be appreciated

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42   #45

Boat: hunter 376

Years ago, a large derelict wooden boat showed up tied to an abandoned piling on the Fraser River with a family of four living aboard. They had just been given the boat, then towed to the piling. They created a bit of local controversy, but in the end, they had no where else to go, so the city decided to allow them to stay, provided they enroll the 2 kids in the local school. That was ok for a couple months until they abandoned the ship and let it sink, leaving the city a huge clean-up bill for the boat and the fuel/garbage/sewage ect.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida