Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2017, 10:37   #16

Boat: cal29
Re: Depth gauge vs fish finder

I'm not sure about the advantage of a depth gauge vs fish finder but I do have a concern about the transducer location. I have been looking also for either of these two items for my Cal 29. In my research, I have been told that mounting the thru-hull style of transducer in a sail boat isn't recommended because a sailboat hull is usually thicker than a power boat hull and this could affect the efficiency of the unit. Has anyone experienced any kind of issue with this set-up?
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 10:57   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Mine shoots thru the hull great.
I believe if I'm not mistaken that the great majority of transducers are made by one company and re branded by Garmin, Lowrance and others
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 11:41   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ddiesel.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 13:34   #19

Boat: Lots of boats.

Don't think all transducers are the same. I have a thru-hull that looks like this but does not have the CHIRP and other features. Airmar makes these for Garmin, etc. Cost over $700. You will be shocked by the price of the CHIRP broadband version. Airmar R599 Chirp - Broadband Chirp-2-3kW In-Hull Transducer - Star Marine Depot

I have seen CHIRP based fish finders for under $200 (Garmin Striker). But at that price the screens are small. But if mounted at the helm, I would think still viewable. I too like the idea of having multiple sources for depth information and as mentioned, seeing a picture even if it doesn't look like a photo (CHIRP) provides situational awareness a number by itself on a small screen can't provide.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 14:27   #20

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

I received a fish finder/chart plotter for Christmas. I mounted mine similar to the picture with the beverage holder. I was looking for something easy and non-permanent just in case it did not work. Which, by the way it is not... I am trying to use the transom mount transducer as a shot-thru, but haven't got it right yet. I have the Dragonfly 5 Pro. Once it is running, it should be sweet. It will provide a great look at the bottom structure in one of its many modes.

I used a piece of marine plywood that I had lying around and the existing crib board as a form. Easy peasy! I can remove it when I am not using it. I have it attached directly to a small 12volt battery for now. That was only $15 from Amazon.

I also attached another easy mounting option if you want a more permanent solution.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bevholder01.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	140066   Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS mount 2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	140067  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS mount 3.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	140068  
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 14:29   #21

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I had the Dragonfly on a boat we dove out of for finding dive sites, it was outstanding.
If the water was calm it gave a TV like image of the actual bottom, but if their was wave action, it didn't know if the boat was moving up and down or the bottom was changing depth, so it was way less precise.
But run over a sunken wreck or bridge span and you would get an almost photo of the wreck or bridge span in calm water, it was also my back-up plotter.
Downside is you have an almost foot long funny looking transducer that transom mounts and being so long it could be damaged I guess.
Attached image is not mine, but it is this good, the almost smoke like stuff you see above the wreck is fish
I have the Dragonfly also. How did you get the transducer to work thru the hull? I am trying to avoid drilling a hole in the hull and buying a new transducer that is for a thru-hull fitting.

Thanks!
Kevin
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 14:50   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I would have thought for a 28ft yacht a little Eagle/Lowrance colour fish finder is the solution at $88. Glue the transducer in with sealant and away you go.

Lowrance HOOK-3x Fishfinder with Skimmer Transducer
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 15:15   #23

Yup mount the 88$ one in the boat with toilet ring wax and away you go. Simple, reliable and cheap!
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 15:42   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I'll go with the cheap fishfinder. Yes, it shows water temperature, but more to the point it gives some idea of the type of bottom, shows the trend over a short period of time, and has operator selectable depth alarms. Serves as an anchor OMG alarm as well. Cheap, does the job, good down to 600 feet.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 16:03   #25

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaTider View Post
I thought the OP wants to know which is better, fish finder OR depth only gauge.

Anyone?
I've had both and prefer a fish finder as it more easiiy shows contours and depth trends. more information than just a number.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 16:07   #26

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

One difference in the depth sounder and fish finder is operating frequency. Most depth sounders send out a signal at 10 KHz, and fish finders use 100 KHz (which is the frequency used by many sidescan sonars. The higher frequency shows much more detail. I have a Garmin that has a dual frequency transducer which is selectable.
Mine is mounted inside the hull, and shoots through it. This will only work if the hull is solid (it loses signal if the hull is cored). One way to determine if it will work is place the transducer in a baggie of water, and press it against the hull where you want to mount it and turn it on to see if it works. To permanently mount it, I cut a section of 4in. PVC pipe joint glued to the hull with sealant, then poured expoxy in the "dam" created by the PVC, Carefully ease the transducer into the epoxy to avoid any bubbles. Tape it in place until the epoxy sets. Mine works perfectly thus mounted.
jessehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 06:43   #27
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiesel View Post
Good Morning, I have a 28' fin keel sailboat with no working depth gauge. I am wondering what would be the best choice depth gauge like Faria or a fish finder chart plotter? I like the way the Faria type would mount. I really don't see how to mount the fish finder type in a way the could be easily removed and stored when I'm not on the boat.

I would appreciate any input. Thank you
If you don't have a chartplotter I recommend an MFD with sonar. Ray E7D or es78 would be a good choice for your boat.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 07:08   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclancy View Post
I have the Dragonfly also. How did you get the transducer to work thru the hull? I am trying to avoid drilling a hole in the hull and buying a new transducer that is for a thru-hull fitting.

Thanks!
Kevin
I did not get the Xducer to work thru the hull for the Dragonfly, I don't think you can. I transom mounted it.
I did get the Garmin 740S xducer to shoot thru the hull, I bought the one intended to be a shoot thru Xducer, also on my current boat I have a depth gauge that came with the boat and also mounted the shoot thru for my Zeus.
I am sure that on both the Gamin and the B&G that both xducers are identical, I believe the only difference is the plug.

However I feel sure that rather than being a dual freq Xducer, the Dragonfly is I believe a sweep frequency device, covering a rather large frequency band, I assume that a solid hull would attenuate some of those frequencies
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 21:31   #29

Sounds like you are looking for a Humminbird Helix 5
Lefty_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 04:21   #30

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

I have a Lowrance fish finder/GPS and a stand alone depth sounder. I like having both. I am not a fisherman so have not bothered with the finder display, but I do have the depth number on the screen at all times. 99% of the time both numbers display to within a foot. The other 1% of the time one or the other won't work. It is unclear as to why this is, but I think it is usually in depths > 10 feet, so usually not critical.

Another small factor is electricity consumption. If the battery is getting low, I have the option of turning the GPS off saving half or 1 amp in favor of keeping the depth sounder on at 50 or 100mA.

Total cost for both about $800 Canadian. Amortized over even as little as 5 years and I think there is good value here.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, fish