Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 08:03   #46

Re: Depressing Day for New Sailor

Ok, here goes! I've been sailing over 40 years, crewed on offshore races, taught at a sailing school! Nonetheless, a couple of weeks ago, I had a fiasco when trying to get into my slip with the wind on the beam. I didn't think I'd have such a problem since my boat is way down the dock and thought the wind wouldn't be such a factor and misjudged everything! I was humlbed, once again!

Don't worry about it, like other's have siad you got back in, nothing broken, and no damage, you done good!
decatur1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:15   #47
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
One can also become fixated. Ther are a lot of things to watch and keep track of while sailling. You can't watch two things at once so you scan, moving from item to item.

It's like when you first learned to drive, especially a stick. You couldn't mulit-task. Over time clutching and shifting and steering become second nature. Then you have time for the bad stuff, phoning, texting, putting on make up, eating, dialing the radio, programming the gps...

In a race I had been distracted by some fishing nets, some squalls and a few other things, but we were ahead so once we got establish on the long close haul back I relaxed and popped a beer and forgot the scan.

The second place boat overhauled us and passed us to windward. We weren't pointing for crap and had been under performing for like ten minutes. Like a deer in the headlights I just let them cruise on by. Then I notice the outhaul had not been hardended for the upwind run.

Too late, I fixed it but we lost the plot. Not only did I feel stupid but let the whole race team down.

Grounding, knockdowns, halyard wraps, accidental gybe in front of a ship, running out of gas, turning the batt to "off" with engine running and frying a $100 alternator.

Yes, mistakse were made...

BTW - you said the main did not have a vang, but a cunningham. That doesn't sound right, there should be some control to control the boom but maybe you are right...

I know someone who doesn't have a vang on his boom. Makes no sense but he says he's going to get to it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:16   #48
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Sailboats are complex and if you had a check list it would be VERY long. Over time things become second nature... but in the beginning you have to focus on LOTS of things.

I notice that each Spring I go through a bit of a re learning... or oiling of the cob webs of my mind. Case in point.

First sail I left the topping lift tensioned when sailing. This is of course because when I drop the sail I tension the topping lift which makes the dutchman sail flaking work properly.... and keeps the boom high enough to walk/stand under it in the cockpit without getting a head ache. A tight topping lift also facilitates raising the main for obvious reasons. So when we arrived at the destination and I went to tighten the topping lift to drop the main I realized it WAS taut and I had forgotten to ease it when sailing (and it was raining so I was tucked in under the dodger most of the time as well and didn't see it!). This is the sort of thing I NEVER would forget... but did for some reason.

After time with your boat you will get into the groove and won't miss a beat. That takes time.

Beginners should have a long checklist. After a while some things become automatic but checklists are important.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:04   #49

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Re: Depressing day for new sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I feel you had a GREAT day of sailing. You went, came back, learned something and didn't break anything. What more do you expect?
Exactly!! What more did you expect?
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:06   #50

Boat: Island Packet 380

I would tend to lump these...let's call them, irregularities...into one of two buckets. 1) those that occur in private and were you not to bring them up, no one would know that they in fact occurred
2) those that occur in full public view for the purpose of providing dockside/shoreside/on the water entertainment

Most of mine seem to fall into bucket # 2

Picture this...we have landed our dinghy on a nice beach, took the time to tie her up to a large dead tree branch nearby, went about enjoying the beach. Come time to leave, we realize the surf has come up considerably since arriving. We have 6 of us traveling in the dinghy back to the boat. We discuss our strategy...count the timing of the waves, one person assigned to start the motor and drop deeper when we are in deeper water, everyone else pushing the bow out timed with the waves and we have agreed to the order of who is jumping in the dinghy when, etc. We consider that we have a flawless plan and we should get out of here, no problem. This, of course, is within full view of all the beach combers. Time to execute our strategy...let's go. Next thing I hear is someone yelling to us from the beach....as we are now dragging the large dead tree branch swiftly down the beach firmly attached to the dinghy and nearly taking out a few beach combers along the way.

Ooopppss....
Old 05-06-2012, 09:34   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

BTW - you said the main did not have a vang, but a cunningham. That doesn't sound right, there should be some control to control the boom but maybe you are right...

My first "big" boat had a kind of a downhaul on the boom at the gooseneck, the gooseneck sat in the same track as the main sail cars, maybe PT had the same.

BTW, welcome Navy PT, think my biggest mistake to date single handing was leaving the dock in a hurry to make it to the lock, held on to the back spring, slow astern, bow swings out, slow ahead, let go spring and recover, turn wheel to swing stern out, sh#t, left the lashing on the other wheel (twin helm). Only gets done once
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:39   #52

Welcome to the world of sailing...as everyone else has confirmed, there are many things that can, and will, happen-you went out and came back safely and with the boat intact, thats a good day!

At least that's what I've heard...spent much time on boats when young, but not really 'sailing' myself until just past year so did similar, learned via basic class to recall the textbook way, and then sailing with and without others on as many different boats as possible. With old time sailors racing, cruising and many levels of 'experience'.

And you know what? Old or new, things happen.
When I have taken out boat solo (currently also a 22') have had motor issues several times, including a stall and couple of moments of near panic trying to figure out as drifting towards rocks; getting the mainsail stuck in the lazyjack just before sunset with no lights...couple of less than graceful dockings in front of a crowd, etc. And the great ole timers at the dock have just told me "Dont worry about it, you arent doing anything that every one of us havent done too!"

Oh, and yes they still have those moments too...was out for a local (ie low key) race one evening, well experienced Captain on board, half way down first leg when realized outboard motor was never pulled up. Oops

Keep going, alone or with others, its a new adventure and lesson every time!

Laffangurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:01   #53

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I second Zeehag. Airline pilot's say a good flight ends with a landing you walk away from. It's hard to get in tune with a boat after having walked on land all those years. When you go to the store you get in your car or walk. What do you do to go to the store in a boat. How do you refuel it? Turn left(port) right (starboard), put on the brake. Hahaha, it aint easy. Keep plugging.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:49   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe
I second Zeehag. Airline pilot's say a good flight ends with a landing you walk away from. It's hard to get in tune with a boat after having walked on land all those years. When you go to the store you get in your car or walk. What do you do to go to the store in a boat. How do you refuel it? Turn left(port) right (starboard), put on the brake. Hahaha, it aint easy. Keep plugging.
And in great landings the airplane is reusable...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 14:37   #55

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Beginners should have a long checklist. After a while some things become automatic but checklists are important.
1. Find check list.....
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 14:40   #56

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
1. Find check list.....
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 14:44   #57

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
1. Find check list.....
1. Backout of the slip
2. Exit Marina
3. Point into the wind
4. Set sail
5. Have fun

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 17:08   #58

Boat: PETERSON 44
Not saying what I did but. From early spring till now I had to remount a solar panel, untangled a mooring pendant, replaced a vetus water muffler. Just thinking that I have a lot of sea time and can so botch up when I'm not vigilant.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:52   #59

Boat: Cibert, Titán 25

you didn't make so many mistakes! I know a lot of people who never learn, I mean they always make the same mistakes, over and over again...
I feel kind of lucky as I made only a few mistakes (and none very terrible) when I began to sail, but from time to time everyone forgets something, or makes some mistake. It's natural.
Keep sailing and in another year you'll be writing about your sailing days and not about your mistakes.
best wishes
kumgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:51   #60

Boat: Bristol 34

If we honestly chronicled our mistakes we sailors could fill the Library of Congress. Two things come to mind when reading your post: First is that a bad day sailing is better than a good day at work. The second I recall from my aviation days - that any landing you walk away from is a perfect landing. Don't be so hard on yourself and remember this is all about having fun - mistakes included.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote