Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2015, 13:48   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Deplorable behaviour from Marina manager and other yachties

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Newt, the problem is that laws (of your sovereign) apply, which can usually be searched online. But then, foreign treaties apply, and those are harder to find. Then there's the FUD that most uniforms want to apply, in order to gain more cooperation than they are entitled to.

I just wish more recreational sailors would follow USN standards. That is, when questioned about weapons or contraband, remember to declare that as you comply with US Navy standards and procedures, you can make no comment on whether you do or do not have any nuclear weapons onboard.
.(G)
So If I am about to be boarded on the high seas, I can politely refuse and say I comply with all my nations laws?
And they will understand that?
And am I compelled to go into port?
And they will honor that???
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 13:49   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post
Of course there's more to it. It would take years and many encyclopedic sized volumes to even begin to convey everything that took place in an encounter like that. But your comment implies that the OP's condensed version is not substantially correct (in fact, you guarantee it) which seems like a pretty amazing assertion for someone who not only wasn't there but who doesn't even have conflicting reports from other sources on which to base his doubts. Seems like before essentially calling someone a liar, one might wait for evidence of such.
Very well stated.

It always amazed me the level of skepticism shown by total strangers with no basis. I've been involved in and witnessed some crazy stuff and it literally proves the old adage that "the truth is often stranger than fiction."

I remember remarkable stories, like the sheriff who fell in love with a married woman and had her husband arrested and killed in jail, or the CO of Guantamo Bay who was relieved of duty after his lover's husband's body was found floating in the bay, etc.

I'm not the least bit surprised at the poor judgement and audacity of those in power, like General Patraeus using motorcades while visiting his socialite GF in FL. Really? Did he not think he was drawing undue attention to himself with a motorcade? LOL

Hell, Slick Willy popularized the whole crazy sex in inappropriate places with Monica Lewinski in the White House, then lied about it on public TV.

If that's not a big brass pair, I don't know what is! LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 13:49   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
So If I am about to be boarded on the high seas, I can politely refuse and say I comply with all my nations laws?
You will go to port.

They can use all force necessary to get you to comply.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 13:58   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Unfortunately, the authorities sometimes get misinformation. We have transited the Suez several times. A number of years ago, we were stopped mid-way to Cyprus by what turned out to be an Israeli naval vessel. We had heavy weapons pointed at us and were boarded by several armed marines. We did not appreciate having guns pointed at us and our children from one meter away. The marines were coldly polite and indifferent to our coomentary. Despite our protests we were forced to sail to Ashkelon in Israel where our boat was searched for weapons. The fact that we sailing away from Egypt toward Cyprus was lost on them. The Israeli's did not care about the issues they caused us (we forfeited our winter mooring in Cyprus and our deposit) and they offered no apologies - naturally they found nothing - they even brought sniffer dogs. They left a massive mess behind and then had the audacity to charge us marina fee's.
Maybe it was the punctuation police.
Old 17-03-2015, 14:00   #50

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
Someone deserves a god beating, or worse, for that.
I disagree, not worth the extraneous hassles of physical violence; but how about a well timed return favor?

One problem they'll have afterwards may be total destruction of all stores aboard: this happened to someone from our marina in Emeryville while in Mexico many years ago. Bayonetted all canned goods, and flour. The mess left over can be really hard to clean up well.

Ann
Old 17-03-2015, 14:01   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
With regards to the War of 1812, it was my understanding that the umbrage was taken over taking of our seamen to sail aboard the British ships.

Many years ago when I was in the Army, the MPs would run the dogs through the barracks looking for drugs and someone had sprinkled cayenne pepper on the floor and it put the dogs out of commission and really pissed off the MPs.

Hunter Army Airfield, mid 80's. Somebody got real tired of the dogs coming through the Barracks and mixed some powered Pot into the floor wax. It didn't take much, as soon as the dogs got on that floor, they alerted all the time. It was several months before the MP's figured it out, and I'm sure they were told about it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 14:04   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Hunter Army Airfield, mid 80's. Somebody got real tired of the dogs coming through the Barracks and mixed some powered Pot into the floor wax. It didn't take much, as soon as the dogs got on that floor, they alerted all the time. It was several months before the MP's figured it out, and I'm sure they were told about it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
That made me laugh.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 14:04   #53

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Great info!
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 14:09   #54

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
IN this current climate you need to be cautious with Australian zones. We have 12, 24 and 200nm zones in places. And it's quite clear that there is a significant over lap in a number of Australian Acts and that our current government is quite happy to extend the ability to board and seize right out to the 200nm regardless of where you came from.

Id be not arguing with anyone.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 14:12   #55

It's unfortunate that boats have even less privacy than someone's home, or even their RV. Considering how many people are liveaboards, it's not encouraging.
Old 17-03-2015, 14:12   #56

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

as I can see, neither a US flag nor the Red Ensign may guarantee a happy sailor.... i was wondering to name my boat... USS THIS...or HMS THAT :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 14:16   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Unfortunately, the authorities sometimes get misinformation. We have transited the Suez several times. A number of years ago, we were stopped mid-way to Cyprus by what turned out to be an Israeli naval vessel. We had heavy weapons pointed at us and were boarded by several armed marines. We did not appreciate having guns pointed at us and our children from one meter away. The marines were coldly polite and indifferent to our coomentary. Despite our protests we were forced to sail to Ashkelon in Israel where our boat was searched for weapons. The fact that we sailing away from Egypt toward Cyprus was lost on them. The Israeli's did not care about the issues they caused us (we forfeited our winter mooring in Cyprus and our deposit) and they offered no apologies - naturally they found nothing - they even brought sniffer dogs. They left a massive mess behind and then had the audacity to charge us marina fee's.

Maybe it was the punctuation police.

Would you be so kind as to clarify that statement?
Old 17-03-2015, 14:27   #58

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
pirate Re: Deplorable behaviour from Marina manager and other yachties

We bought our boat last summer way up the coast in British Columbia. We stayed in that small harbour for about a month getting ready to sail down to Washington. As word got out that we had bought "that" boat, many townspeople, including the fire chief, told us to inspect every inch of the boat for drugs, the last owner being some kind of outlaw. I had been joking that every time we opened a new hatch that "this is where we find the body" and now we had a serious, microscopic search ahead of us before we imported the boat with US Customs.

Turns out Customs just about waved us through (we arrived 10 minutes before 5pm and they wanted to close up) but we are still half-jokingly searching. We have talked to the Coast Guard Auxiliary about it, since this is a border town, they're quite impressed we are asking for a search. I want no surprises.

My main impressions after living on an international border for 8 months are that there are 3 types of Customs agents and/or Coasties: those that put in their time and go home; those that hate their jobs and wish you would go away; and those that love their jobs too well and are starring in their own movie - those last are the ones that scare me.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 14:35   #59

Boat: Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
as I can see, neither a US flag nor the Red Ensign may guarantee a happy sailor.... i was wondering to name my boat... USS THIS...or HMS THAT :-)
A White Ensign works wonders...
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 14:39   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
To me the boat "requesting" you to allow a search doesn't probably know if they really can do it. But since they asked you can say no and if they accept that answer go on your way. Otherwise it falls into the sailing vessel verse armed warship in the rule "Don't be a dumb ass" in the CONREGS.

Tags
yacht