Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 12:34   #91
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Deplorable behaviour from Marina manager and other yachties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Having modestly contributed to that revolution I can tell you are wrong. It was in 74, not 72

It was 40 years ago and you would find hard to find someone that serve on the Police or navy that comes from those days. As many times when dictatorship falls through a revolution then comes liberty, sometimes too much liberty (great times, funny times too) and the spirit, even the ones from the authorities have changed even if the bureaucracy had taken more time to come to normal levels.

Regarding Portuguese authorities they are friendly and many times helpful. Try to be a smart ass or putting in question their authority and you will find out that there are many ways they can screw you, but I guess you have found that already by now.

Regarding the OP case to put that in perspective it is good to know that Spain and Portugal are two of the main entry points of Drug in Europe and that many come by sea using fishing boats, fast boats and Yachts. Every year several yachts are caught with huge drug shipments and they are caught not because many yachts are searched but by "intelligence" and information regarding the yachts that do that. It seems a bad case of bad information, not very usual since very few yachts are searched without a good cause.

I have been stopped some times but actually never been boarded or searched. Just the RIB alongside for the papers, identity confirmation and a final polite salute wishing us good sailing.

I have been in Bayona with my sailingboat several times, most of the time on anchor but sometimes on the marina too and i have only good things to say about the place or the treatment I got. In fact it is a favorite place, lots of good food, the Albarino wine and nice people.
I know.. I'd thought it was 72 but thought it best to check.. was told it was '74 then came back to the computor and typed in'72..
Next stop Als Hymer..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 12:56   #92

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Deplorable behaviour from Marina manager and other yachties

Over the years, we've noticed that some people routinely have difficulty with officials, while others do not. It's as if how they present themselves "sets the officials against them." When one of these types encounters an overly officious official, sparks fly.

Don't know if brighton trader is one of those folks or not, but the guy I knew who provoked the officials everywhere, projected himself as if he were the ruler of the world, and boy, no one liked it. None of us were surprised that he had difficulty with the officials, but he always was certain he had done nothing to provoke the behavior.

That said, I must agree with Boatie that if either your self or your boat has ever been involved in something where law enforcement caught either in some malfeasance, sure, you'll or your boat'll stay in their computers, and even changing its name may not help....whether or not you are in fact "innocent."

Ann
Old 18-03-2015, 13:01   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Well Im going to be in the clinic till 8 UK time. Coffee is on and I have cake and biscuits (cookies).

Have at it people.
I thought you would be a tea and biscuits man.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 13:10   #94

Boat: Ranger 33'

never heard of throw down guns in Houston, Tex? The COPS used to brag to me about the tactic! Ivory Tower
roygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 13:28   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
I thought you would be a tea and biscuits man.
Coffee all the way.

The only tea I like is Raspberry Iced tea with sugar.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 13:43   #96
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Deplorable behaviour from Marina manager and other yachties

Quote:
Coffee all the way.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 15:12   #97

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

When they ask permission to board and search, what is the best response?

Something like "I do not give permission but will happily comply under protest?"

In the US, it used to be that if a cop wanted to search your house, car, backpack, etc, they'd have to ask, and if you said no, they'd have to have probable cause. But if your back pack was open, or if they knocked on your door and asked "May we come in?" then they could search as much as they want because you ok'd it.

Disclaimer: I got nothing to hide, but I don't really want to deal with a ransacked boat, a bunch of guys in military boots marking up the decks or otherwise damaging the boat, but I don't want to make them angry either.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 15:33   #98

Quote:
Coffee all the way.

Raspberry Iced Tea is not my cup of tea. Darjaling thank you.

If I drank Raspberry tea on my boat I would be so violently ill I would throw up, dispel all my potassium and have a heart attack. Mind you since I have an AED on board I'm sure I'll be Ok
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 15:36   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post

Something like "I do not give permission but will happily comply under protest?"

In the US, it used to be that if a cop wanted to search your house, car, backpack, etc, they'd have to ask, and if you said no, they'd have to have probable cause. But if your back pack was open, or if they knocked on your door and asked "May we come in?" then they could search as much as they want because you ok'd it.

Disclaimer: I got nothing to hide, but I don't really want to deal with a ransacked boat, a bunch of guys in military boots marking up the decks or otherwise damaging the boat, but I don't want to make them angry either.
That is history now.
Boaters have no rights.

A Colt 45 beats 4 aces every time.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 22:21   #100

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post

If you don't want to make them angry and you don't want your boat ransacked or damaged, then comply voluntarily and happily. Offer them a cuppa and sandwitch. simple as that.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht