Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 13:19   #1

Dengvaxia - First approval of a vaccine for Dengue

Finally, a vaccine for Dengue has been approved. Initially in Mexico, but 19 countries are pending. Will be a beneficial addition to protection from this mosquito vectored disease in the tropical climates. Cruisers take note.

I extend my congratulations and thanks to Sanofi for their tremendous effort.

The first vaccine against dengue fever won clearance in Mexico, an initial step toward preventing a mosquito-borne infection that puts half of the world’s population at risk.
Sanofi expects more approvals in “upcoming weeks” for the product, called Dengvaxia, in Latin America and Asia, Olivier Charmeil, who heads the Paris-based company’s vaccines unit, said in a telephone interview. The injection can thwart all four types of the virus, which has appeared in Portugal, France, Florida and Japan recently and increased the risk of “explosive outbreaks,” according to the World Health Organization.

QUICKTAKE

Vilifying Vaccines

Outbreaks are on the rise. Unlike malaria, another disease spread by mosquitoes, dengue affects wealthier urban populations in middle-income countries in Latin America and Asia in addition to poorer African nations. A water shortage in Sao Paulo prompted residents to store drinking supplies in pots and tanks, creating breeding grounds for mosquitoes and a dengue epidemic involving thousands of cases this year. In Hawaii, 139 cases have been confirmed in an ongoing outbreak, most of them in local residents.
Dengvaxia, developed over the past 20 years at a cost of 1.5 billion euros ($1.65 billion), including manufacturing investments, awaits approval in at least 19 other countries. Mexico’s regulator endorsed it for people between the ages of 9 and 45 living in areas where the disease is endemic.

Dengvaxia’s sales may reach $1.4 billion by 2020, according to analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Sanofi said Dengvaxia “will be priced at a fair, affordable, equitable and sustainable price.” Some countries may distribute it for free, said Guillaume Leroy, vice president of the dengue vaccine team at Sanofi. The shot isn’t recommended for children under 9 years old because clinical studies suggest it protects them less well.

“We are making dengue a preventable disease, which makes us incredibly proud,” Charmeil said in the interview.

Dengue infection causes flu-like illness that can develop into potentially fatal complications. Warning signs include bleeding gums, vomiting, rapid breathing and severe abdominal pain. One recent estimate indicates about 390 million dengue infections per year, according to the WHO. It kills less than 1 percent of those infected.

Other companies are developing alternative approaches to frustrate the virus. Oxitec Ltd. developed a way to genetically modify male mosquitoes so that their offspring die as late larvae or pupae.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:27   #2

Boat: Boereal 44
Re: Dengvaxia - First approval of a vaccine for Dengue

Thanks Montanan, Great and promising news. Dengue has become a major problem for world wide cruisers. We have seen many many cruisers get very sick with Dengue in countries like Tonga, Western Samoa, American Samoa and all of the Carib. Some have had to quit their dream, sell their boat because they could not go on after being bit by the Dengue Mosquito.

We will be looking into this wonderful vaccine.

Cheers
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 17:04   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

While I surely agree that the vaccine sounds hopeful, I wonder (as an old fart) why folks over 45 are not included in the approval? They are equally exposed and perhaps more at risk than persons in the prime of life.

Jim
Old 09-12-2015, 17:29   #4

Boat: Boereal 44

Hi Jim,

After posting I googled the vaccine. We are old farts also and my wife is a doctor. Kind of disappointing from what little info out on the vaccine. I guess 60 % good results is better than none. And seeing that in most countries that get dengue the majority of people are in that age group that it has had some success.

Not sure it is worth it yet even if us old folks can get it. But we will consider looking into it more when we get to Panama next month. Panama should be one of the central American countries that will have the vaccine at the start of the new year.

It really is a serious virus that cruisers should take great pains not to catch. Mosquito comes out around dark for a few hours. Ware long sleave shirts at that time of evening and use screens in all your hatches and companionway. Plenty of strong bug juice.

Cheers
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 18:22   #5

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I hope they devise a speedball combo of Dengue vaccine plus Chikungunya vaccine. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 18:38   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post
Hi Jim,

After posting I googled the vaccine. We are old farts also and my wife is a doctor. Kind of disappointing from what little info out on the vaccine. I guess 60 % good results is better than none. And seeing that in most countries that get dengue the majority of people are in that age group that it has had some success.

Not sure it is worth it yet even if us old folks can get it. But we will consider looking into it more when we get to Panama next month. Panama should be one of the central American countries that will have the vaccine at the start of the new year.

It really is a serious virus that cruisers should take great pains not to catch. Mosquito comes out around dark for a few hours. Ware long sleave shirts at that time of evening and use screens in all your hatches and companionway. Plenty of strong bug juice.

Cheers

Thanks for that, Steve. I too believe that mechanical prophylaxis (ie not getting bitten) is the best preventative. That's been our approach to malaria for years, and the same practice works for Dengue mozzies in general. Know a few cruisers who have contracted the Dengue... actually more of them than those who have gotten Malaria... and it isn't a nice sickness to have!

But as visiting yotties, we have much more control over our exposure than the indigenous populations, so I sure hope that the vaccine proves effective. It would be good to remove even one of the perils that threaten third world tropical populations (and first world chaps as well!)

Jim
Old 10-12-2015, 03:11   #7

Great News
I had the misfortune of contracting Dengue on a land trip to
Merida, Mexico. For sure the worst week of my life.
Canceled trip and flew home.
Took about 3 weeks for total recovery.
There would have been absolutely no way I could have operated anything on a yacht.
Imagine a bad flu times 3
This is truly great news especially for the local populations
I really really hope that this works and is made affordable to all
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:39   #8

Boat: Passport 40

I wonder if it protects against both kinds of dengue. I have had the African dengue but have been warned against getting the Asian strain as that could lead to hemorrhagic dengue... I don't know if this is African folklore or not but I sure don't want to try it out!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:38   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

this is a good start.
works on all 4 types--awesome news.
i hope this is effective, as this is a growing problem
now for chikingunya.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:14   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Unfortunately the drug will have to pass the Fed's approval process. Wouldn't expect to see it available in the US for decades.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 21:53   #11

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

I had a severe case of dengue haemoragic fever in Indonesia - locals called it "break bone" fever - that is what it felt like - for every bone in my body. Air evac and 10 days in Singapore hospital. It took at least 3 months after release to get back to a weak, skinny normal fitness. When a vaccine is available in your area I suggest you take it asap - preferably before you are exposed to the risk.
Other precautions for high risk areas - wash clothes and rinse in anti-malarial product then air dry, spray clothes with DEET or similar product (but be aware of anti DEET advisories), in local restaurants ask for a COBRA or similar coil to burn under the table, moz net is essential, keep air moving in the boat or room with fans and ask everyone who has had it for their suggestions on how to avoid it.
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:22   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian NAMT View Post
I had a severe case of dengue haemoragic fever in Indonesia - locals called it "break bone" fever - that is what it felt like - for every bone in my body. ....
Interesting, thats the local name for it in Belize too.

Ive been lucky, over a decade in the tropics and no tropical diseases. Some people seem more prone than others. Ive known several cruisers/tourists who were just passing thru and got dengue or other tropical maladies.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:06   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

THE alternative name for dengue IS breakbone fever. has been that forever.
i knew it as that before i knew breakbone fever was dengue.
the fact there is a vaccine is a good thing. i hope folks actually use it.
now for them to develop one against chikingunya.....
7000 cases now in mexico.
be careful and make sure you use screens and netting liberally, same repellant.
for the sneak attacks, a tennis racket shaped zapper is fun. pop they gone.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:48   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
now for them to develop one against chikingunya.....
7000 cases now in mexico.
Though, chikingunya does not have a potentially fatal variant like dengue does it?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:06   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Very good news. Now that we have both had Chikungunya we are only worried with malaria.

I know they are working on Chikungunya too but it all takes time.

Great job and thanks for sharing!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote