Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 15:19   #31

Boat: Various
Re: Deltaville Marina Shady Dealings

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Sure, but it still doesn't make sense written elsewise: "my vessel is located at that marina. Please PM me with the name of the marina".

BTW, I don't think the original is a dangling modifier.

Mark
Wifey B: If the modifier isn't dangling, then what is?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 15:56   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Never give someone direct access to your checking or savings account. For something like this always pay with a credit card. Your credit card provides you will all kinds of protections against shady dealings....if this was actually the case.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 16:55   #33

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

It is obvious that the initial mistake was BofA's. They processed the transaction for $15,600 rather than $1560.00. However, they subsequently put the $$ in Deltaville Marine's account, so they are not going to take responsibility for it. Good luck getting BofA to take responsibility for anything. I can give you a shprt story on that in a sec. But, the resolution for the customer is to simply calculate how much is still owing to them, using the $15,600 payment, less any repayment, less all moorage charges to date. Contact the marina and tell them this is now the credit balance in their account. Discuss that matter with them, they have no basis to argue that the credit balance I other than what it is, and tell them no further payments will be forthcoming until the credit balance is exhausted by future moorage charges. Reach agreement with them on when that will be. If need be, contact a local attorney to help with negotiations.

On BofA, you will seldom ever talk to anyone there who has any authotrity to do anything, especially if it involves a cost to the bank. I was a Bof A customer for almost 25 years, the last 10 years as a private banking client. In branches, they have replaced bankers with clerks as a cost savings measure. From branch manage down, no authority to do anything without telephone consultation with higher authority. An example-in on eof my accounts, a deposit was entered incorrectly be a teller, causing 6 payments to be returned. I discovered this the next day as I, like B&B, check my accounts regularly. I went to my branch, they tracked down the deposit and corrected it. I asked that the 6 NSF charges or $35 each be reversed, the only charges I have had in 25 years. The branch manager told me she had no authority to do so, and if she did get them reversed by talking to a higher authority, it would reflect negatively in her evaluation.

I called my private banker who got them reversed but it took her 6 days. Subsequently, I quit using that account and switched funds from several other accounts to USAA Bank. I used the BofA accounts only to make local deposits and then transferred the funds to USAA. This went on for 3 months. Then, I noticed I had 4 different bank accounts being charged $14.95 per month in fees. I called my private banker and she told me since there were no longer substantial funds in the accounts, they had to start charging me for the accounts. She offered to rebate the charges and eliminate them in the future if I deposited $25,000 per account (4 accounts!) in a restricted saving account drawing 0.75% interest. I closed all my BofA accounts that afternoon. Would never deal with them again.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 17:34   #34

Boat: csy 37

jaycall - i had a similar experience with BofA. they wanted to charge me $15 a month because my checking account balance was 'too low'. i cashed out my account and closed it. they called me and told me i still owed the balance, that they had mistakenly cashed out the account without holding back the charges.

i visited the bank, explained my position, and said i wouldn't pay the fee. then i asked her if the bank was regulated by the state of florida or the comptroller of the currency. she went in to speak to her boss for a moment, came out and told me they would waive all charges.

end of story.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 17:40   #35

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I don't know, but I'd really hesitate to jump to the conclusion that they're engaging in "shady dealings" from the sparse evidence in this thread.
sorry to say the story is true. i spent quite a few hours with my italian friend discussing his problem. having had previous bad experience with BofA i'm not surprised at their actions. but, having deposited an obviously incorrect amount in deltavilles account, and then having the marina treat it as a windfall, doesn't speak well of them either. my gut feeling is, since he lives in italy and speaks poor english, the marina considered him an easy mark.

he went up to deltaville last week. he should be coming back through here (florida) next week or so and hopefully i'll hear 'the rest of the story'...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 22:53   #36

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
It is obvious that the initial mistake was BofA's. They processed the transaction for $15,600 rather than $1560.00. However, they subsequently put the $$ in Deltaville Marine's account, so they are not going to take responsibility for it. Good luck getting BofA to take responsibility for anything. .
Sorry, not disputing any of your experiences but in this case that is definitely not obvious. Plus BofA returned money once already. They typed in 156,00. The comma does not take in BofA system online. That shows up clearly as $15,600. But also, the amount is then verified to the customer on the screen and would have read $15,600. I've tested their system just to see what it does. It's a horrific mistake, but it's a user mistake. Easy to understand. As to the money then being kept by the marina, that's egregious and bordering on criminal. I fail to see why BofA is expected to return the money though. I don't see what they did wrong.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delta