Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 13:51   #76

Re: Delivery -> sleigh ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
70 miles in 9 hours. The wind politely turned around two days later for the return trip.
HOLY COW, BATMAN!!!

Never, ever thought I'd actually read this kind wonderment.

Truly magnificent and praiseworthy.

I hve never ever read anything like this, and am sure others could chime in with the age-old: always on your nose wherever you wanna go..." routine.

This is much better.

Congratulations for suspending the space/time continuum.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 23-02-2016, 13:51   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

I see nothing wrong with it. I have a merchant marine credential issued by the USCG stating that I am a master captain qualified to 50 ton, near coastal, with sailing and towing endorsements.

I work as an executive project manager here at jtmarineinc.com were we build tugs, alter boats, and drive tugs on the Columbia river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
You don't see anything slightly dishonest about calling your blog coastguardcaptain?

Fyi, it implies that you are Captain of a US Coast Guard ship. Is this truth in advertising?
Old 23-02-2016, 14:21   #78

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
The broker even wants me to do a write up about how strong the boat was during the delivery.

Once in a life time opportunity that is for sure. I do try to avoid severe weather.
We are friends with Ray and followed your trip on Marine Traffic. The weather was something else! GREAT JOB. It's an El Nino year. We were nervous for you guys, as we had sh*t weather all the way down the west coast from Astoria to Cabo. We were very grateful for our dodger and fowlies. We posted these images from Passage Weather on Rays FB page as you guys were underway.

Glad you made it safe and sound!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ray's Trip to Lake Union.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	119482  
Old 23-02-2016, 14:32   #79

Ray, nice work, great observations. Face it, buddy, it's a tough room here, but there is validity in the comments if you go back and read them and yours. Defensiveness is not necessarily a virtue.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 23-02-2016, 14:41   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with it. I have a merchant marine credential issued by the USCG stating that I am a master captain qualified to 50 ton, near coastal, with sailing and towing endorsements.
Many of us see everything wrong with it. In the scan of your credential on your blog, I do not see the word "Captain" anywhere. Care to explain what credential you have that entitles you to use the rank and title of "Captain" when not in command of a vessel? (FWIW I hold a Commission from QEII that entitles me to do that, but I don't splash it all over the place)

Edit: And on further inspection it says Master - inland waters (not near coastal). The near coastal is "OUPV - Operator". So you are NOT qualifed to 50 ton near coastal. Another false claim !

Old 23-02-2016, 14:43   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
"is the communication of a false statement"

The only person making false statements in this thread is you.
Old 23-02-2016, 15:01   #82

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Just for the record people my mapsource was on statute miles.

I have a navigator 45 delivery in the coming weeks, and probably a beneteau 42, then a defer 52 ........

STOP slandering me.

Mack, perhaps you are missing our collective point. In your initial postings, you stated that you expected to average 10 to 12 knots on the delivery. Then, after making the passage, you claimed that you had indeed averaged over 10 knots. Then when challenged, you admitted that it was not for the whole passage, just the faster part of it... the "sleigh ride" part. Then someone pointed out that your claimed route length for that sleigh ride was in fact not the 160 nautical miles that you claimed (and if you are going to quote speeds in knots, it follows that the distances should not be in statute miles), rather it was around 130 miles, and this reduced the claimed average speed to well under 10 knots.

You have thus made a bunch of erroneous statements, and when challenged, you scream "slander" at those who point out the discrepancies.

If your reputation has been damaged, as you seem to feel, seems to me that it is not the other posters here who have damaged it. All they have to go on is what you have posted, so it is perhaps those claims that you have made and defended which are damaging your rep... that's how it looks to me.

Jim
Old 23-02-2016, 15:07   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery -> sleigh ride

I would prefer to judge him by results.. as most in the game know only too well..
folk only remember your last job..
My Boatmaster Grade 2 means nothing really.. just that for 5 years it licenced me to skipper a vessel capable of carrying up to 200 passengers within a certain area of water.. ie Isle of Wight ferries etc.. renewable after every 5 years.. nothing to do with going past the 3 mile limit.. mines long expired but from my viewpoint proof of having held that responsibility lends a bit of weight.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 23-02-2016, 16:07   #84
Marine Service Provider

Early I admitted to using statute versus nautical miles, That does not make me an experience mariner. I delivered that boat safely and on time.

I do not appreciate being called a rookie, in-experienced, etc .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mack, perhaps you are missing our collective point. In your initial postings, you stated that you expected to average 10 to 12 knots on the delivery. Then, after making the passage, you claimed that you had indeed averaged over 10 knots. Then when challenged, you admitted that it was not for the whole passage, just the faster part of it... the "sleigh ride" part. Then someone pointed out that your claimed route length for that sleigh ride was in fact not the 160 nautical miles that you claimed (and if you are going to quote speeds in knots, it follows that the distances should not be in statute miles), rather it was around 130 miles, and this reduced the claimed average speed to well under 10 knots.

You have thus made a bunch of erroneous statements, and when challenged, you scream "slander" at those who point out the discrepancies.

If your reputation has been damaged, as you seem to feel, seems to me that it is not the other posters here who have damaged it. All they have to go on is what you have posted, so it is perhaps those claims that you have made and defended which are damaging your rep... that's how it looks to me.

Jim
Old 23-02-2016, 16:09   #85

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ray, nice work, great observations. Face it, buddy, it's a tough room here, but there is validity in the comments if you go back and read them and yours. Defensiveness is not necessarily a virtue.
Uhhh, Ray (our friend) was also on the boat. I don't think Ray is the same man that wrote the OP. ???
Old 23-02-2016, 16:11   #86

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Wow, with all this back and forth we should probably rename this thread 'delivery->slay ride' as apparently reputations, niceness, and everything else is getting killed!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-02-2016, 16:12   #87
Marine Service Provider

When I drive big charter fishing boats off the coast I am the captain. When I deliver a boat up or down the coast, I am the captain.

I have three boats, and I am the captain of all three of those boats.

Just because I don't have the rating does mean I can't perform in that function.

Shoot away at the hip. I am doing it and having fun .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Many of us see everything wrong with it. In the scan of your credential on your blog, I do not see the word "Captain" anywhere. Care to explain what credential you have that entitles you to use the rank and title of "Captain" when not in command of a vessel? (FWIW I hold a Commission from QEII that entitles me to do that, but I don't splash it all over the place)

Edit: And on further inspection it says Master - inland waters (not near coastal). The near coastal is "OUPV - Operator". So you are NOT qualifed to 50 ton near coastal. Another false claim !

Old 23-02-2016, 16:28   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery -> sleigh ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Wow, with all this back and forth we should probably rename this thread 'delivery->slay ride' as apparently reputations, niceness, and everything else is getting killed!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I blame that ******* 'Boaty'.. typical Thread drift..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 23-02-2016, 16:57   #89

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Problem is near anybody can get results, it's not that hard to get from a-b in a modern well equipped boat. It's what happens when it turns to custard, or at what point you say 'NO' that counts. History is littered with "captains" who consistently got results, until one day their luck turned, and people died.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-02-2016, 17:02   #90
Marine Service Provider

Every time ones goes on the water it is a risk. That is part of my job is to take into account the risk versus reward. Everything is a resource, the boat, crew, fuel, water, food, wind, rigging, sails, the list goes on ....... captains are a dime a dozen, but it's the ones who are experienced and are able to manage and recognize thinks as they happen with quick and appropriate responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Problem is near anybody can get results, it's not that hard to get from a-b in a modern well equipped boat. It's what happens when it turns to custard, or at what point you say 'NO' that counts. History is littered with "captains" who consistently got results, until one day their luck turned, and people died.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery