Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2016, 20:16   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon
Re: Delivery -> sleigh ride

No worries, its a mute point, we made good time and were turning 12's easy over ground, we even saw some 15's ......

It was cold out, but bearable. I don't usually do deliveries like this, but it put my foot in the door at a large broker ...... I see big power yachts on the horizon for me

Yacht Sales & Yacht Brokers in Seattle | Ocean Trawler Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Columbia River Bar Buoy G3 to a point West of Tatoosh Light (104 T) is 134 NM while keeping the boat on the 30 fathom line.

Tatoosh Light on Tatoosh Island is 0.6 NM NNW of Cape Flattery and is as close to Cape Flattery as I've ever been in my 10 or so trips out there/around there.

160 NM from the G3 buoy on the River Bar on the way to Port Angles would put you NNE of Pillar Point 23 NM ESE of Neah Bay.

The cockpit enclosure makes perfect sense to me after many downwind trips in that body of water. It is cold at night in the middle of August and probably miserable in February.
Old 16-02-2016, 20:20   #47

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

What does the paper chart say? I haven't got one for that area, but from lats Duntz rk is about 48 deg 27' N, and Cape Disappointment is about 46 deg 15' north, so we have about 132' of arc, or 132 or so NM between them north south, so I am picking your electronics are telling porkie pies.
Old 16-02-2016, 21:50   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Mack,

I am not wanting to be unkind, but I differ with you on this.

It is not a moot point, because it is making you appear to not care about the accuracy of your posts. People who read CF (and of course, those who post) value and appreciate accuracy in posts. The appearance of not caring [by posting that the point about the distances and hence, the true average speeds compared to their estimates is moot] shows little respect for a poster like Snow Petrel, who is a professional, too, and to every CF'er and non-member who has read them.

Something on the order of "I'll check into this further" might be in order, and 'fessing up to an error would go down, well, too.

I apologize in advance if you think this is a violation of the "be nice" rule. Sometimes it is difficult to be direct and mention something one thinks ought to be mentioned, without upsetting someone. I confess to being an honesty (as in complete disclosure) freak.

Ann
Old 17-02-2016, 16:25   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
Across bar at 9 m and made flatterly by 1 pm the next day. 160 nautical miles which means we averaged 10.0625 knots. Boat took it fine.
By my chart measurements the distance from the Columbia bar to Cape Flattery is 138 NM. Unless you were making some huge tacks, that gives you a speed of 9.2 kts. Interestingly enough, 138 NM is just about 158 Statute miles.

9.2 kts is a nice average all by itself, but since you went and included six decimal places in your 10.0625 kt speed average I was compelled to jump in with a correction.

EDIT: Snowpetrel got it right below. I somehow couldn't figure out that 9PM to 1PM is 16 hours! 138nm/16hr = 8.625kts
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 17-02-2016, 18:02   #50

I got 138/16=8.6 knots, about 95% of hull speed for that boat. That's a much more conservative average, I generally don't like much over 90% to avoid the bigger surf's.

It seems very hard to exceed 100% hull speed for any long average on a normal a loaded cruising mono.

A stripped out modern racer, with a hardcore crew and it's pretty easy to do under the right conditions.

Now this is a sleigh ride... 35 foot chanting keel in 40-50 knots downwind. Insane!
https://youtu.be/B_kdKU-lWVg

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-02-2016, 18:11   #51

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Mack,

I am not wanting to be unkind, but I differ with you on this.

It is not a moot point, because it is making you appear to not care about the accuracy of your posts. People who read CF (and of course, those who post) value and appreciate accuracy in posts. The appearance of not caring [by posting that the point about the distances and hence, the true average speeds compared to their estimates is moot] shows little respect for a poster like Snow Petrel, who is a professional, too, and to every CF'er and non-member who has read them.

Something on the order of "I'll check into this further" might be in order, and 'fessing up to an error would go down, well, too.

I apologize in advance if you think this is a violation of the "be nice" rule. Sometimes it is difficult to be direct and mention something one thinks ought to be mentioned, without upsetting someone. I confess to being an honesty (as in complete disclosure) freak.

Ann
I think you're over thinking most of the readers on this site.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-02-2016, 20:02   #52

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
I think you're over thinking most of the readers on this site.

Yeah, I agree. I'm in the "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" sailors' camp and intend to stay there...and here.

-Bill
Old 17-02-2016, 20:44   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth View Post
Yeah, I agree. I'm in the "never let the truth get in the way of a good story" sailors' camp and intend to stay there...and here.

-Bill
Maybe you need to put a disclaimer in your bio saying that what you say may not be factually based, but could actually be fiction and should not be construed as a source of useful information, but just a good yarn.

That way we can take anything you say with a pinch of salt.
Old 17-02-2016, 21:18   #54

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Maybe you need to put a disclaimer in your bio saying that what you say may not be factually based, but could actually be fiction and should not be construed as a source of useful information, but just a good yarn.

That way we can take anything you say with a pinch of salt.
It's on the internet you should do that any way. Lol..

Old 17-02-2016, 23:18   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
It's on the internet you should do that any way. Lol..
True, I probably tend to think the best of most people, but then on here there are a lot of genuinely trustworthy and knowledgeable people, whose opinions, facts and idea's I can respect, even if I might not entirely always agree with them. Hopefully it will stay this way and I wont have to ask myself every time someone posts something if they are making stuff up.

I am sure Mackconsult wasn't trying to be dishonest in any way, He made a simple mistake, as we all do from time to time. It would be nice to know what was wrong with his plotter, a good lesson for us all there.

I was genuinely interested but skeptical that a boat like that could maintain those sorts of average speeds easily. Having not sailed on that type of boat I really don't know what they are capable of. But I have sailed on a bunch of fast cruisers that have struggled to beat the "hull speed" average. The 200 mile hump has always been a good challenge for average cruising mono's under 45 foot, and cause for celebration when its achieved.

I am guessing some of these newer Racer Cruisers (or is it crossover boats now?), kept very light and sailed hard could pull off 110%+ hull speed runs regularly without current assist. I need to revisit Pollux's ARC threads.
Old 18-02-2016, 11:13   #56

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Ha, my brother races some very fast boats. He said once the average speed is the lowest number that you see, interesting that you say you did 10 knots most of the way, but your average speed for the trip was around 7.8 knots.
If your average speed is the lowest number you see then your maximum speed is the same.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-02-2016, 12:31   #57

^^ Sorry leftbrain, you've lost me there. I know that statements not mathematically correct, but in my experience it seems to work quite well to tame out the brains tendancy to overestimate average speed, especially when you start surfing, and only look at the clock when youre going fast. The key words in that statement are 'you see'. It's a good reality check to remember this saying.

For example about the quickest I've gone offshore was 23 knots on a old uldb 45 footer. We were regularly hitting 15's,18's and 20's on the speedlog, I don't know if it was 100% accurate but that was what it said. Our best 3 hr watch run was 33 miles or 11 knots. Our days run was 233 miles as I recall. So in this case our maximum was 23 knots, and our best 3 hr average was 11 knots. There may have been a bit of an eddy of current helping that one because our days average was a dissapointing 9.7 knots. The wind was reasonably consistant all day. I don't even recall us going that slow once, but I didn't look at the log when we where going slow.
Old 22-02-2016, 21:27   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

My gosh folks. 40 years of commercial/sport fishing/sailing experience and I am here-ing terms like what I see in this thread. Wow.

155 miles from my calculations. This is on bluecharts v6.5 in mapsource ..... has not failed me yet.
Old 22-02-2016, 22:22   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
My gosh folks. 40 years of commercial/sport fishing/sailing experience and I am here-ing terms like what I see in this thread. Wow.

155 miles from my calculations. This is on bluecharts v6.5 in mapsource ..... has not failed me yet.
Yep that clearly says 155 mi which is statute miles, equal to about 135 nautical miles (nm) as others have said.

Over 16 hours, that makes your stated 10.0625 knots a real 8.44 knots.

After 40 years, I would have expected you to be able to tell the difference between mi and nm - it must play h*ll with our navigation.
Old 22-02-2016, 22:22   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Late to the thread of course. For those who do not know the route when a southerly blow picks up to gale force you can expect some interesting seas.

I did the trip in about 15-16 hours once in a Cal 2-29. We were surfing at up to 14 knots with 45 kt winds and 18' seas. Those seas sound like trains and you can really accelerate off them as you break out into a long surf.

The Coast Guard was out looking for a 50+' fishing boat that was having trouble. You could not see the 80' something Cutter (as I recall) unless you both were on the crest of a wave.

Normally I would go through Hole-in-the-wall but not in a southern gale....
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery