Originally Posted by El Pinguino
Coming out of Lakes Entrance you are already clear (and inshore) of the production platforms.
Its only about 100 miles to Gabo... something has going badly wrong in the planning stage if your wx window is less than 24 hours long.
If you are in conditions that make you want to seek shelter you won't be seeking it in Mallacoota... there is a reason its not on the list of fun places to visit on a yacht.
You could - if the the wind
comes out of the east- take shelter behind Gabo.
CLANG. I've been planning by using Google
for distances and forgot to convert them to nautical miles. Yep, 100nm is a shortish hop, I should be able to round up and head
for Eden in one go.
I would be getting 'real ' weather forecasts rather than relying on gribs... read the grib warnings on the sailmail pages.
ButOfCourse. GRIB for long-term planning, daily VHF weather
for the final decision.
Do I read this right ..that you will not have a boom?....oh..OK.....
Yeah, I know. The yacht does have a mainsail
but God only knows how the guy used it. Then again, there are yachts that run boomless so maybe the sail is designed for it, won't know until I get there.
I'll puddle around Gippsland Lakes for a few days to see if it's workable without. Otherwise I could make a trip to Melbourne and find a used one, but it would be a whole lot more convenient to leave it until I get back to Brisbane
. I have enough preparations to do without that.