Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 07:32   #46

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Delivery Knockbacks...

I thought a running backstay was a defensive position in American Football.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 07:49   #47

Re: Delivery Knockbacks...

... I really wonder where the thinking that running backstays are difficult to work with comes from.

'Here' in the Baltic a lot of boats have running backstays. You see them on a lot on X-Yachts (my former X-99 had them) and also my current 41ft cruiser has them.

I am sailing the boat 99% of the time only with my wife and 'these two more lines' for the backstay are not a big deal to work with. Just take your time to tack or jibe and 'try to' prevent an accidental jibe (you would try to avoid this on a boat without running backstays too ;-)).

Love the possibility for tuning the rig with them and also love to have the 538ft2 / 50m2 mainsail area possible on a 41ft cruiser ...

Regards,

Carsten
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Augusta_Anker_2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	102248  
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 08:14   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post
... I really wonder where the thinking that running backstays are difficult to work with comes from.

'Here' in the Baltic a lot of boats have running backstays. You see them on a lot on X-Yachts (my former X-99 had them) and also my current 41ft cruiser has them.

I am sailing the boat 99% of the time only with my wife and 'these two more lines' for the backstay are not a big deal to work with. Just take your time to tack or jibe and 'try to' prevent an accidental jibe (you would try to avoid this on a boat without running backstays too ;-)).

Love the possibility for tuning the rig with them and also love to have the 538ft2 / 50m2 mainsail area possible on a 41ft cruiser ...

Regards,

Carsten
As mentioned, it's a different deal altogether when you have running backs plus a regular standing backstay, or only running backs.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 08:19   #49

Or maybe the thinking that running back stays are difficult to work with comes from thinking oneself is a "special" sailor and somehow "better" than other sailors.

I have sailed a gaffer with full running backs, certainly don't think I am special or better than others. Working with them is hardly rocket surgery, hundreds-year old tech. No big deal.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 08:34   #50

So there are a few 72' Sail Training Brigantines around this neck of the woods sailed by 20 or so 14-18 year olds. A lot of sailors around here get their start in this program, a surprising number really. These Brigantines have gaff rigged mains and full running back stays.

Many of the teenagers sailing these boats have no previous experience and all of them are trained by other teenagers. Over the last 40 some odd years these wooden sparred boats- to the best of my knowledge has never been dismasted because one of the teenagers failed to correctly manipulate a running back stay (they have been partially dismasted, just not due to back stay issues).

I don't think you need to be a super sailor to operate full running backstays.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 09:21   #51
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Knockbacks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
As mentioned, it's a different deal altogether when you have running backs plus a regular standing backstay, or only running backs.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dock head.. being UK based I'm surprised you've not seen the many Gaffers around.. Thames Barges.. Fishing smacks of yesteryear..
Head West my friend and visit Atoll.. or I've an awesome lady friend who skipperd a 90ft gaffer.. experience the joy ofa Gaffer

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 09:26   #52

Boat: Skookum 53'

Hey Phil, yah I'm up to my hips in alligators right now, refitting Rose, the only high seas I get is when the tide comes in! I'm still in the water, albeit in the harbor, but the work is going apace and I expect to be out terrorizing the locals before the end of June. Right now the weather is great so it is a huge incentive to pull up my knickers and get to whacking on things until she is sea worthy. Once I am finished, I guess, I'll hang out my shingle for deliveries, but right now there is too much of my own work and of course it is fishing season!
Old 17-05-2015, 09:42   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Knockbacks...

Some may be pleased to know.. no more posts for a few days.. heading for Spain this evening before the next Mistral.. Tramontana in 3 days.
Ciao for now..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 09:54   #54

My delivery skipper interview process is pretty straight forward and consists of one question "what was your most f#%'d delivery and can you explain the circumstances surrounding it?"

The answer will tell you everything you need to know.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 14:13   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Dock head.. being UK based I'm surprised you've not seen the many Gaffers around.. Thames Barges.. Fishing smacks of yesteryear..
Head West my friend and visit Atoll.. or I've an awesome lady friend who skipperd a 90ft gaffer.. experience the joy ofa Gaffer
I have! And have sailed along with Jolie Brise a few times even. Which was hard as hell to pass - amazing performance from an ancient fishing gaffer.

I've also been in Yarmouth for the Old Gaffer Festival!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 19:37   #56

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So anyway.. I got this e-mail from some guy called Chris Stanmore-Major asking for a quote to deliver 2 Volvo 60's from Cal to Panama.. gave Atoll a shout for 2nd Skipper and he was up for it so sent off a quote..
He comes back with 'What assurances can you give that your other skipper and your crews can handle a boat with full running backstays..'
Nearly recounted my experience of popping a running backstay on Azzurra 2 an ex America's Cup 12metre last November in the Baltic.. no loss of mast.. just myself and a 4ft 11 Portuguese lady as crew.. but figured the World is to small for 2 arrogant ******** so politely told him to go away..
Sorry Atoll.. your name did not impress him either..
He was speaking Canadian. You speak British. Just try to survive.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery