Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 08:29   #1

Boat: 1977 Kelly Peterson 44
delivery fee

What would expect to have to pay to get your 38' sailboat delivered from one marina to another that's a good day's motor down the ditch (probably 7-10 hours).

Thanks!
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:06   #2

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog View Post
What would expect to have to pay to get your 38' sailboat delivered from one marina to another that's a good day's motor down the ditch (probably 7-10 hours).

Thanks!
Probably $1,000+ plus expenses and transportation back for skipper & crew.. That would be after a vessel inspection.

You would be surprised the amount of time goes into a delivery like that.

BTW....."Probably" is the operative word.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:39   #3

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
If the boat's ready to go,

Expenses and a daily wage. Anywhere from a few beers to 500.+ per day.
ughmo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughmo2000 View Post
If the boat's ready to go,

Expenses and a daily wage. Anywhere from a few beers to 500.+ per day.
Not by a proffessional skipper, on a one day gig. I'll bet you'd never find one.

Using a non-pro may end up costing a lot more and forget about your insurance.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:36   #5

Your location have any bearing on your fees? (just kidding!)

One day? $1000 plus all expenses? With all due respect to your time 'n grade, that's a good wage.
Old 04-12-2007, 13:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I wouldn't PAY more than $200 for a one-day "ditch" delivery; and I'd be embarrassed to ASK more than $125 + return.
The cost of return might be about $50-$100 time + "fare".

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 13:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughmo2000 View Post
Your location have any bearing on your fees? (just kidding!)

One day? $1000 plus all expenses? With all due respect to your time 'n grade, that's a good wage.
Even if it is a "One day gig". I'd go meet with the owner (couple hours incl travel), inspect the vessel, (2-8 hours), arange for crew (insurance would insist on it), spend the day going down (if nothing goes wrong), rent a car and come back (assuming the owner doesn't pick us up).

I would far more prefer to leave that time open for a longer delivery. Slotting 3 days for a 1 day delivery can be a pain. I just don't think that you will find a licensed skipper to do it for less. Maybe, if it were "Spur-of-the-moment" and the skipper was available and had crew ready to go. Then....one would have to ask himself......"Why".....maybe he's just got a down season.....maybe not.
Old 04-12-2007, 14:38   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
$250 a day seems fair and expenses there & back
I'm available and can send you my qualifications , website & references
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 22:36   #9

Consider also

Bonding and licensing expenses, etc. I used to charge $150 to show up at an office, plus 100 per hour thereafter. To rent a professional, including all their bells and whistles, is now about twice that, while the rent-a-geek shops are at $90 or so per hour.

7-10 hours would get mighty expensive, especially if what you're getting is basically a WoW college student.

I think I'd rather spend a bit more on the schmoe who's going to move my 4-6 digit boat down the ditch than I'd spend on the one who's going to install a new disk in my $500 desktop computer.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:57   #10

Professional? Big deal, I'm a pro in several fields. If you wanna try n get rich in one day that's your prerogative.

If some fool wants to pay me one thousand dollars a day plus expenses I'd do it! (actually I wouldn't, I'd feel like I was stealing candy from a child or taking advantage of someone when their down)

I mean come'on! We're not talking moving the Queen Mary. A 38' boat doesn't need three or four crew to motor eight hours down the ICW. Nor do I believe it takes a full YM captain with twenty years experience.

I've delivered a lot of boats and sailed with a lot of USCG licensed captains. Most, (not all of course) I wouldn't let sail a toy boat in a bathtub. Hell, anyone with a little money and a weeks time can "buy" a USCG ticket. (Hey! I'm a professional! I have a piece of paper!!)

Till then I'll just charge my measly little, unprofessional, (but fair) delivery pittance.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:55   #11

No offence intended...

I quite understand working under the table, or just not doing something you love (sailing) in quite the same way as you would something you do only for the money.

My personal sailboat has to have $3 million insurance coverage to be in the marina; I understand commercial pilots carry a couple orders of magnitude higher coverage. I'd expect a delivery skipper, in addition to all the other tasks, to be setting up insurance on every individual delivery and it probably costs a hundred or so for such specialty bindings, depending on the circumstances. Maybe your insurance doesn't require a vessel survey, but mine does and the skippers I've known are required to file a "skipper's survey" on boats they deliver: some of them quit delivering because doing such surveys is more lucrative and less work - $500 a pop and more. Doing the paperwork is part of the job, protecting the owner's ass as well as their own.

By my estimation, just this accounts for at least half of the price mentioned above. The rest would involve the expertise, licensure, time & distance, and so on. And again, I know a *lot* of people - some on this forum - who pay much more to have a minimally qualified geek examine their cheap and disposable computer. Why would they pay far less for someone to handle their many thousands sailboat?

Still, it's easier and cheaper to have someone eager to sail your boat do it. And many people do exactly that. So long as there are no issues, not a problem. But when there are issues, the boat owner has assumed all the liability for everything that can possibly go wrong.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:52   #12

No offense taken or inferred. I enjoy reading and learning from others opinions. I appreciate all those given here.

Amgine I'd love to see your boat sometime. She must really be something. One I wouldn't dream of acting as captain on a delivery. I don't have the big boat experience. (>55')

My deliveries are far from "under the table" deals or sailed "only for the money" though. Nor do I depend on them for a living. I just love to sail. It gives me the opportunity to see a lot of boats and how others do things.

While I appreciate the knowledge and decades of experience some have, it's not rocket science. Thousands do it every weekend without mishap. Hell! Even I do it! While I'd not go their route, the Bumfuzzle's are a perfect example. They made it around the world on an ASA 101 course. Granted they were half way round the Pacific when they learned they had two-speed winches but they still made it unscathed.

I've seen licensed captains smashing into docks, other boats, run aground with a chart in their hand, etc. I also know a 22y/o unlicensed capt who delivers new Nordhavens.

I would imagine if one has the years of education along with experience to command such money wouldn't be bothered with a one day delivery. They shouldn't anyway.

Boils down to only you can decide what your time and effort are worth. I guess I'm cheap(er) and can be had.
Old 05-12-2007, 13:09   #13

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Hereabouts, deliveries are done by asking around your friends & at your local yacht clubs to see if anyone is interested in joining you for the delievery. Generally, the owner pays for food and probably a fair chunk of the beer drunk on the boat (when it is tied up - generally deliveries are "dry") Crew buys their own drinks at the bar. Delivery crew are rarely paid, but you do need a couple of people with genuine offshore experience, so you might offer to pay for an air ticket or other travel travel expenses.

The great thing about this system is that it provides a cheap way of getting boats delivered, but also gives good opportunities for less experienced sailors to get experience on long offshore passages with some good offshore sailors. I have learned heaps on the long delivery trips that I have done.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 13:39   #14

Just throwing it out there, I wouldn't let anyone move my boat that didn't have their six pack at least. There's a lot of people who have their captain's license who shouldn't operate a potato gun, let alone a vessel at sea, but for me I'd want the experience and the license. Maybe you guys saw that as a forgone conclusion, but I've seen a lot of deliveries from "some guy".
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 14:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Just throwing it out there, I wouldn't let anyone move my boat that didn't have their six pack at least. There's a lot of people who have their captain's license who shouldn't operate a potato gun, let alone a vessel at sea, but for me I'd want the experience and the license. Maybe you guys saw that as a forgone conclusion, but I've seen a lot of deliveries from "some guy".
I wouldn't let anybody move my boat period......problem is.....**** happens and if someone hasn't had the experience to handle ANYTHING that could happen (things you can't even emagine) I don't want him/her moving my boat. As far as I'm concerned. I would never subject another person to that resposibility (under any circumstances).

The mere fact that the owner of a vessel wants to hire someone to move the vessel that short distance tells me a lot.......I'll say no more.