Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-12-2007, 11:43   #31

Cross-purposes

I have to carry that much insurance on my boat because of the damage my boat might do in the marina, not because it's worth much.

And that's my point regarding a highly qualified delivery skipper: it's not just getting your boat repaired/replaced if something goes wrong. If the delivery goes horribly wrong you, the owner, might be on the hook for some serious financial - or worse - liabilities. What if he manages to t-bone Steve Allen's megayacht(s)? What if someone dies, and your boat/skipper is responsible? How much fuel can possibly be spilt in that marine sanctuary, and how much might the gov't charge you for cleaning it up? or anchoring in that coral reef preserve?

The licensed, bonded skipper is completely responsible for these and worse, not you the boat owner.

But if you're the person going to do the delivery... well, I suppose you're going to be the deadbeat who passes the blame back to the owner for hiring an unqualified skipper if you come under scrutiny for such an incident because you can't afford to do otherwise. It's not at all surprising when the bills come in 6 and more digit lengths, but that's why I think you should charge more so you can insure your self and maintain your training.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:11   #32

These are all circular arguements. Get quotes from several sources that you decide have the proper credentials and have the boat moved. It costs what it costs.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:38   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No one is arguing that a captain's license means "qualified". I'm just saying that if someone had 50 years of experience, and somone else had 50 years of experience and a captain's license, it's not rocket science to figure out which one probably takes his skippering career a bit more seriously.

I would imagine having your license opens up more doors for you (rightly or wrongly), so it wouldn't be a jump to say that by not having your license you've closed certain experience chances.
Old 06-12-2007, 13:08   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Fun thread!
Old 06-12-2007, 18:15   #35
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Some personal observations as one who holds a master mariner license.

As other posters have said, paying lots of money doesn’t insure quality, nor professionalism, so it is an open negotiation based on the interview with your prospective employee. I don’t quite understand why the Owner is not the one making sure his own Insurance covers the delivery as all it takes is a call to your Agent to approve the delivery and the captain (in writing). That’s what you pay an insurance agent for! I would not leave that to a stranger or let him sell me on unnecessary insurance. (Don’t worry about Paul Allen’s superyacht he carries enough insurance to cover the uninsured)

For a trip in confined waters, experience traveling on that stretch (all else being equal) would be my deciding factor and to cost a day and a half at the daily rate plus expenses is more than enough. (Gord has the right number for a daily rate)

Now about licenses, they are only a piece of paper and depending on the standard of the national issuing authority, some are very good, some you can use in the toilet. (I won’t go into the specifics)

As to who can be called a captain:
Legally, if you are in charge of the operation, you are the captain
Morally, that name is earned and the crew are the ones who will make the decision.
Socially, only Master Mariners have earned the right to use that as a title.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:54   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog View Post
And no, I don't refer to myself as Captain... I think is sounds pretty cheesy!
Well, you got my respect ;-)

If it were my boat it would seem reasonable you charge your $350 and if you need train fare home add that in too ;-)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:53   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
... For a trip in confined waters, experience traveling on that stretch (all else being equal) would be my deciding factor and to cost a day and a half at the daily rate plus expenses is more than enough. (Gord has the right number for a daily rate)
Perhaps not - Once again, I seem to be a little out of date.
Delivery “Captain” fees appear to be running about $250/Day (crew about $125), although a lower rate may be charged for some routes, such as the Intracoastal Waterway (and other inland routes), or when tied to other delivery trips.

SOME DELIVERY RATES:

Daytime deliveries, anchoring/marina at night: $250*/day
Boat Delivery Florida | Sailboat Deliveries | Captain for Hire | Yacht Deliveries | Tampa Florida Powerboat Delivery

Captain Daily Rate (Inshore / Near Shore) - $275.00 per day (24 Hours)
Yacht Driver Terms & Fees - Yacht Delivery

Daily Rate $225 - $250
Yatch Delivery -Captain Kevin J. Ledwell -

Captain and crew fees $275/day
Prices

Delivery Contract (examples):
http://www.florida-boatsurvey.com/pdf/delivery.pdf
http://www.hemisphere-yachts.com/res...t_Delivery.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:58   #38
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Those rates seem inflated to me Gord, possibly becuse they are all costed by agencies, who take their 40%

but then again... you don't get what you deserve...you get what you negotiate.
Old 07-12-2007, 13:17   #39

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
I'm not knocking anyone who's put in the time and gone thru school to obtain their tickets. Good one 'em and much respect. That's shows dedication and a desire to be a true "pro". But we're not talking standing the bridge of a 1000' ship here.

The last captain I sailed with, (E-W trans-At) his brother at 27, graduate of a maritime college and now an officer on ships. This "kid" is being flown and sailing all over the world. Myself I've no desire to sail commercial ships. I already mentioned my friend who at 22 is delivering new Nordhavens. I'd sail with him anywhere any time.

However if someone wants a true ticket get a YachtMaster's Offshore. You'll earn and have to show competency to get that one. Not just memorize answers to questions. Any idiot can get a 6-pack.

Now, it should be obvious, that you'd ask for and check the references of anyone you might consider to move your boat. That's a gimmie. Or should be anyway.

All this commotion about moving a 38' boat 8-10 hours down the ICW. Hell, if you think a PHD is required that's cool! Pay a thousand a day. If you want your boat moved at a reasonable rate by a safe, experienced sailor give me a shout. I can do it or set you up with a bunch of friends "qualified" to do it.
Old 07-12-2007, 14:02   #40
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Quote:
Hell, anyone with a little money and a weeks time can "buy" a USCG ticket.
Yeah and 360 or 720 days of documented sea time.

Quote:
Any idiot can get a 6-pack.
Well, there seem to be rather high rate of candidates who fail the "Rules of the Road" part of the test.
In other words, some idiots are not passing the course.

90% is minimum passing rate if memory serves me right.

I think it is great that some folks take the time and effort to get a ticket.
It can only be safer out there if more folks learn the rules and basic seamanship.

It sure benfited me over the years to have a ticket, not only for being "forced" to memorize all the Rules of The Road, but also for safer sailing my own boat and fattening the bank account occasionally being paid to drive other folks boats.

The next step is to get my PADI Dive Master ticket.
I belive it will make me a better and safer diver, even if some idiot out there could pass the same course.

CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: