Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2011, 13:18   #1

Deck Awning

I'm looking for some input on deck awnings. How would you construct it re support, material, sides- (mesh?) . The boom is just above the dodger (which I prefer down at anchor). Has anybody used a rear arch as a support? Must be "Carib" sturdy. This for a Tartan 43 with traditional transom. Welcome input. Thanks-
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 19:36   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Deck Awning

The best way to see how to do it is to look around at other boats, especially those that are similar to your boat.
- - There are a lot of different ways to construct/support an awning from the simple over the boom "pup tent" to more fancy halyard suspended with wire or pipe batten versions. Each boat has a different set of "obstacles" that the awning needs to deal with so it is difficult to give a generic method.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 19:43   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The pup tent over the boom doesn't work well as they restrict side deck movement almost completely. May work if your under 24" tall. Our boat had a boom crutch so that was the rear termninus/support of the awning. Tied the forward end off to the mast and lower shrouds. Used one support/stretcher pole in the center tied off to lifeline stanchions. Worked a charm keeping the deck free of encumbrances to fore and aft traffic. Used Bamboo for the stretcher poles after our too light fir pole broke. Had to replace the Bamboo occasionally but it was free in SoPac. Our boat was 32' so one stretcher pole worked fine. A longer boat might need one or more additional of these. Also, if you've not got an arch or boom crutch at the aft end you'll need a pole for aft support tied off to the back stay and life lines. Make the awning with big, multi layer reinforcing patches and toothed grommets or even the pressed type grommets they use for sail clews for the areas that are going to take a lot of strain.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 10:33   #4

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

I've got one...I think anyway....I found it in the port lazerette. I have yet to deploy it.

It was pretty nasty...brown cloth with tan stripes, measures about 8x10. I laundered it up at home and it came out really well. It has a loop sewn into each end, where it looks like you would put a pole. There is a cut sewn into one end, where it looks like it would fit on the backstay. There is a loop sewn into the center, where it looks like you would attach a halyard and hoist it up. There are also grommets sewn into the edges...looks like you'd run some line through them to tie it off.

I have what I'm sure is a whisker pole...plus I have two other smaller aluminum poles that twist and extend like the whisker pole. I believe these are the poles that go in the ends of the awning.

I believe it will work like this:

Place awning over boom with cut out around backstay. Insert both poles in the ends and adjust to length. Hook up main halyard to center loop. Hoist to desired level. Tie off lines to 4 corners, then sides as needed. It "should" hang above the boom, shading the cockpit and part of the cabin.

I say "should" because I really don't know...just spent some time staring at what I've got and trying to imagine what it's for and how it works. I posted this on the C25 forum and the guys agreed with my assessment.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 11:29   #5

Boat: Islander 36

I use my stern arch to cover a multitude of sins. If your stern arch is high enough it should work very well as an attachment point. The main thing is make sure you have a "stongback" webbing to stretch down the center. I also have a bimini, which helps. I made my sunshade high enough to walk under very comfortably. Also used the Lazy Jacks to help keep if high. Lazy Jacks pull it up and lines also going down to the lifelines hold it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunshade1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	27932  
Old 31-05-2011, 13:19   #6

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

The best "over boom" awining I ever had (still own it, actually) is not the pup tent, but similar. It is rectangular, with dimensions
L = (mainsail tack to clew)
W = 115% Beam.
Athwartship are four batten pockets sewn in to take ash battens - one forward, two in the middle section, and one aft. Each batten pockted was sited to lie approximately over a stanchion. A short 3/16" mm line is spliced at the tip of each batten in a grommet in the closure flap. This line attaches to the top of a stanchion with a round turn (to prevent sawing in the wind) and a midshipmans hitch (for adjustment).
The beauty of deploying this awning is it overlaps the deck; each batten tip lies about two feet off the stanchion so there's about a four foot crawl space; and it looks great in its arched appearance. Because its arched shape provides tension, it is not so prone to flapping in a breeze.
Its rolled up shape is a nice, tight sausage. And this makes it easy to deploy - just throw the roll over the boom, fasten the mid-line around the mast, roll it along the boom, make fast near the clew, and tie down the stanchion lines. The awning can be tilted to port or stbd by adjusting the stanchion lines to allow for more shade.
Best of all, this is easy to make. It's two-dimesional and can be run up easily on a commercial sewing machine. The battens take a little sourcing and experimenting to get the scantlings right.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck