Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-04-2010, 22:25   #16

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Whenever someone starts one of these threads its like freaking groundhog day(the movie) all over again,people start suggesting the same boats over and over again without ever going into any detail explaining what makes them particulary suitable for the purpose,for example,what makes the Contessa 26 a great ocean voyager,what are the good points?what are the bad points? same for the other usual suspects.
So, im going to make my suggestion and tell you why it may work for the purpose Andrei123 has in mind,that boat is the Parker Dawson 26 which was also built under a few other names,for those not familiar with this boat it is a center cockpit 26 ft trailable boat that was available with a sloop or ketch rig,it is genuinly trailable and ramp launchable,has a fairly short rig that you can actually raise and lower without a crane,it was designed by the same guy who did the Islander 30,they are available well under 10k,a friend of mine bought one with a little yanmar diesel in it for $3500 a couple of years ago,they have a cast iron retractable keel and a transom hung retracting rudder,they are supposed to be self righting even with the keel up and are known to be good heavy air boats,probably not good in the light but they have a respectable PHRF rating of about 219secs so overall a reasonable performer. This is a boat that you can tow with a 3/4 ton pickup without permits,raise and lower the mast,ramp launch and sail across the atlantic, it would of course require the usual beefing up just like any other boat in the low buck range. There is an owners group online where on can find more info.
Steve.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:58   #17

Boat: deboated
I am not sure why but this thread reminds me of the two Aussie guys who rowed to New Zealand. Maybe their boat is available just fit a mast and sail. It has been fully tested crossing the ditch can be a boat breaker.

Old 13-04-2010, 13:10   #18
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Getting Started...

Actually, this chap speaks for lots of novices...

$10 K is likely all he can afford to blow on a whim... and that's not chump change.

So... what is the best use of the money?...

How about a Rhodes 19 on a trailer... and a camping outfit... and some time off
to cruise the North Channel? With the wife or girl friend?

Go in Summer... see Tobermory, Baie Finn... Little Current...

You will find the boat quite enough for this trip... I once did it in a 12' dinghy...

Should not cost half of what you've budgeted...

As for the CD 25... that's a good boat.. about as pricey as a Tartan 27...

Both can be trailered... if you have the tow vehicle... both outfitted will cost more
than your budget...

INDY
Old 13-04-2010, 14:11   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
When I first started reading this thread I thought it was a troll...But he has answered back enough times that I guess that he is serious...
He has the desire, but lacking the knowledge on what it takes to do blue water...
Perhaps we are not approaching this in the right way guys. We keep on throwing boats at people that come along with the dream, but they don't know why a particular boat is good ( as already mentioned here)
And they don't get it when we say the prep will cost a lot, maybe as much as the boat. And that is you doing the prep, so considerable time is spent learning and working on the boat...
Moderators- is there a fixed thread somewhere addressing these issues? It seems we go round and round (and this has been mentioned before too. )
Old 13-04-2010, 18:43   #20

Boat: Whitby,Evans 16 ft
reason i asked for ocean capable boat is that if i can get an oacen worthy boat it provides versatility as well as added safety in the backyard(lake ontario).
I really apologize if i gave the impression that i am buying this boat for oacen sailing directly. I would definately like to do that BUT i will most certainly not even attempt something like this till a few years after i bought the boat.
I am hoping that instead of spending money on getting a camper and blowing money on gas to go camping around land. I can marry the two things i love most, water and camping while still enjoy the site seeing.
If gf can be convinced then i am hoping this year i will go around lake ontario for a few weeks or lake erie which is right in my backyard. Instead of camping with a tent or camper i can camp inside the boat. Then the whole wind part saving tons of money on gas for driving around is a great incentive.

Prep as you guys put it, i dont think i have to do it all at once. As far as maintenance goes, i have had my hands in fiberglass for a very long time. I can fix pretty much any fiberglass problems. Mechanically i have never worked on sailboat motors but i have worked on many outboards and many cars as well. My house has a myriad of alt energy gadgets.

And as i convinced my gf its a hellof a lot cheaper then owning a cottage hellof more fun then driving around camping.

PS. i love the Tartan altho its in the high price range, unless i can find one under 15 im not going to consider it just yet. I also have been taken by this C&C Mega 30 ive seen for sale for 9.8k.

As far as trailering goes, i think im starting to forget about it.
Old 13-04-2010, 23:26   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Andrei,
Seems like you have your heart in the right place. An older boat, like the ones you are considering, is pretty much how it has been maintained. You might even find one for free that you will have to do a total renovation to. Camping in a old boat is a blast. Go have a great time and keep learning!
Old 14-04-2010, 08:05   #22
cruiser

Ocean Capable Skipper first, boat second.

Hi,

You have things backward. You want a scalpel for heart surgery, without the knowledge of how to use it.

Lake Ontario is a marvelous place to explore, so are the lakes to its immediate north.

Question, how do you do this?

Answer:
Join the Great Lakes Cruising Club.
Go on one of their cruises

Join the local Yacht Club
Take their learn to sail course
Race with them
Drink with them
Party with them

Rent a boat from one of the many firms there
Go to the north channel
See Baie Finn

Then, look around at what the guys are sailing, at what you can afford
Talk to the wife
Start small.... that Rhodes 19, a CD 25, Tartan 27..
Sail it!!!

See one of the attached photos...

INDY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MooseCrossingBeaverPond.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	15308   Click image for larger version

Name:	AdirondakLake.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	15309  

Name:	DeparturePreparations.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	15310   Click image for larger version

Name:	PolynesianKids.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	15311  

Name:	Moonlight.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	15312   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterBuffalo.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	15313  

Old 14-04-2010, 15:06   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha Andrei,
You've asked one of the most frequent questions on this forum. I've added a couple of websites after my signature and a book recommendation. I truly believe in taking courses as they are offered and bargain hunting for those sailing courses. It will save you money in the end and might even save your skin.
kind regards,
Old 15-04-2010, 08:08   #24
cruiser

Camping and Boating

You mention camping vs boating... Actually, in Ontario and much of Canada many
who travel by pack and paddle do both simultaneously.

You mention Lakes Ontario and Erie... the big ones... forgotten are the thousands
of smaller ones to the north.

Right now... at this very moment... in a boat yard near you.. is a man fixing his
boat for this summer's cruising ./ racing season.. He likely needs crew... certainly
would trade some help for time on the water.... often knows another in the same situation.... he is your ticket to gain the experience to keep yourself from killing yourself and your family on the big lakes..

Right now... at this very moment... in a yacht club near you... someone is organizing
this year's racing season... he/she needs help.. knows who needs crew... is your
ticket to a place on a boat and the training you need to become a sailor...

Right now.. at this very moment... in a library near you... are plans for a lightning,
or another day sailor...which you can build... in your basement... in time for this
season...

Right now.. at this very moment..you can learn to sail... to navigate...

If you proceed as you specify, you will miss this sailing season, and the experience
you sorely need. You will commit your limited resources on something which may
prove unsuitable... you simply don't know...

Go sailing this year... gain experience... then next winter ... better informed...
go shopping... locally...

INDY

Don't miss out on what is shown in the photos....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BerryIslandSunset.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	15342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diving4.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	15343  

Name:	JackieInFiji.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	15344   Click image for larger version

Name:	LeslieAndDinkAtGreenCay.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	15345  

Name:	OrtegaRiverSunrise4.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	15346   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewYearsInFtLauderdale.jpg
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	15347  

Old 22-04-2010, 14:33   #25

Boat: 36' custom steel
Hey let's take it easy on the thread starter. About fifteen years ago I asked a very similar question about Macgregor. I never bought one but the question got me started on my way to my 33' fiberglass boat which I used in Alaska and onward to my current 36' steel here in the San Juans. You got to start somewhere, at least I did. I started with a question. A dumb question in retrospect, but I've been learning ever since.
Old 23-04-2010, 00:12   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Moderators- is there a fixed thread somewhere addressing these issues? It seems we go round and round (and this has been mentioned before too. )
That would kill the joy of talking about boats, endlessly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
Don't miss out on what is shown in the photos....
I'll take door 3 and 4...

OP - Indy made a great post and I liked the way he put it. Somewhere...right now...

90% of us just need to get off the couch.

Almost 4 years ago I walked into Changi Sailing Club not knowing anyone or anything. I took some courses, rented some boats and 6 months later I owned a boat.

I can't remember what I used to do on weekends anymore.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 15:50   #27
cruiser

Hi,

I remember the Changi Sailing Club very well....stopped there.... looking for a place to refit....
I am not being tough on the thread originator.... only hoping to open vistas for hiim....

That due to lack of experience he may not know...

My point is cruising is an experiential avocation... an art... there is no magic formula that you
drink or buy and voila! You are a navigator!!

The best way for anyone to get into the avocation is to join a club and participate!!

Oft forgotten is the original reason for clubs... to pool resources so members could go sailing on
the cheap... and have lots of fun!!

INDY
Old 28-04-2010, 20:50   #28
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
No way on a Mac! You want something strong and with a real keel. I would do it on my boat a Binks 25 with locking lead bulbed swing keel. Less than one foot draft boards up and 4 foot down. It sails well and can handle waves.

http://www.johncrawfordmarine.com.au...y/106-binks-25

Tough luck finding one in the USA
Old 29-04-2010, 10:25   #29
cruiser

Hi,

The MacGregor is a wonderful pocket cruiser!

Great for the North Channel, Georgian Bay, Green Bay, the inside passage, Trent Severn,
Of course you must pick your weather... But over all cruising on a budget... this boat will do...

It has better accommodation than the Rhodes 19, which involves you spreading an awniing over the boom and sleeping on the cockpit seats, and used ones go for $ 2500... about the same as the Rhodes... It has an active owners association too.

BTW, I just visited the couple on a neighboring boat, a 4 ton 28 foot Island Packet. They have been in the islands for the past few years... Things are a bit snug... but they are cruising...

Warmly,

INDY

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: