Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2013, 18:01   #31

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Cutter Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder dan View Post
here in new zealand it blows a bit and i have found it is much easier and safer to hank on a storm jib to an inner forestay than an outer and with just a storm jib up and both running backstays cranked up tight we can run down wind in 50 knots and feel safe have done a lot of miles in a sloop as well and have felt decidely vulnerable at the bow hauling in head sails and hanking on smaller ones in the rough especially at night.cutter rig with runners also must give the mast more support
Builder dan is right in this post. I think he points out something that may be missed by those casually cruising through threads like this. What is "best" is dependent on the prevailing conditions where the poster either has sailed or intends to sail. There is no such thing as the "best" rig. But a cutter rig is very versatile and that is why many cruisers choose them.

On my boat there is very little work in adjusting the staysail unless the wind really picks up. But that is when you really like the staysail because it is a ton easier to manage than a larger jib or genoa. Most cruisers use a single foresail on a roller for all conditions. When things pick up to the point where you want to roll the sail all the way up then having a storm jib or small heavily reinforced staysail on the inner stay makes things much easier than trying to deal with a roller reefed foresail.

If I don't need or want the staysail I can quickly and easily remove the sail (it is hanked on) and stow the inner stay turning the boat back into a sloop in all of 5 minutes. For me this is the "best" rig. But your mileage may vary.

Best regards,
Dan
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 18:33   #32

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

With us it's a Staysail riggied ketch, with a roller genny. the ability to use the self tending staysail. The mizzen, or a reefed main, make it easy to handle lots of wind ! Being old , I have a habit of sailing with the staysail and main and mizzen, or a combo of these sails as it's so much easier to sail in most all winds, and makes winching that darn big genny back and forth when tacking! it works great on a reach but it's a lot of work when ya have to tack a lot !! just my old ideas and being lazy and not giveing a darn about a little extra speed ! LOL but love cutter rigged boats! just my old 2 cents
Old 31-01-2013, 18:34   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

With all this discussion I think something is being largely missed. In my mind I would devide the boats into FOUR categories....

1 sloop, one fore sail, mast head or fractional

2 stay sail sloop, mast well forward, inner and outer head sails

3 cutter, similar to stay sail sloop but with mast set back

4 cutter with sprit. Inner stay is at stem head, mast is forward, measured from stem head, but aft if measured from sprit

With further divisions of type then perhaps some of the difference of opinion goes away.

Working on a sprit is less secure than on a deck, the sprit boats staysail maybe proportionately larger. By rolling the sprit Yankee, and flying a stem head staysail you come close to a fractional rig sloop.

Also sailing with crew or solo will effect tour preference. I use the staysail more and more simply because I like staying on the boat.

Both our boats are of the type 4 variety.

I welcome corrections and other opinions.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote