Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 06:15   #1

Customs Question???

Here in New Zealand when you retire you can only leave the country for six mounts then they stop your pension, I have only just found this out as next year I intended to leave for a world cruise when I retire.

The reason for this post is what would happen, "IF" I did not clear customs when I left but when i arrived in say Australia my passport was in order and as with boat reg. etc what would the Aussie customs do if they saw no exit stamp from NZ ?, because I could go to Aussie or the Pacific islands because if they did not notify NZ my pension would continue and I would be free to sail for as long as I was able.

I have it worked out the Pension would put food on the table and my investments would look after the boat
KIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 23:20   #2

Clearance

Port clearance papers are relevant to the boat, in most countries. That is, if you don't have port clearance, your boat may not be allowed into the next country.

I don't know about Australia/New Zealand, but between the USA and Canada there is no requirement for clearance.

You may want to look into the rules in New Zealand, but most embassies are considered sovereign foreign territory. So, for example, if I had a 6-months foreign deadline, I'd make sure I stopped by the local embassy for a stamp, showing I was "back home" very recently.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 00:06   #3

I think they dont stamp your passport on exit.The oz beaurocrats would be very upset that you didnt have clearance papers for the boat.You might be able to get clearance papers by sailing to the Solomons or New Guinea with a good story and some bribe money.But I think your chances of fooling the NZ system long term are not good and its not worth the potential repercussions.I dont know what the rules are but I bet you cant get around it by flying back twice a year either.If only you had been one of them!You could have had the taxpayer pay for your delux superannuation and retire to Queensland no problem.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs