Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2006, 07:21   #1

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
(Currently) the World's Two Largest Sailing Yachts!

Ahoy Yawl!

Check out these fotos of Maltese Falcon & Mirabella V - racing!

Maltese Falcon was launched about six months ago in Turkey and is (currently) the largest privately owned sailing yacht in the world... edging out Mirabella V from that honourable distinction.

I stroked Mirabella from stem to stern last season while we were anchored at the Bitter End of Virgin Gorda and Aye expect we'll be seeing Maltese Falcon there within a few months.

Magnifico!

http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicLat/LectronicLat.html

Love to Live - Live to Love,

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 14:46   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Its a funny thing, but to me that Maltese Falcon just looks wierd. Ugly and wierd... I guess it is just unusual. I have nothing against the old-fashioned square rigged 3 masters (apart from the fact that they couldn't sail to windward for nuts), some of them were beautiful. but Maltese Falcon, for all the millions she is "worth" is, to me, a pig!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 16:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Too many lines.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 12:33   #4

here's 261 more

http://www.bymnews.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=326

That 'pig' can sail at over 20kts!

randy
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 13:49   #5

Boat: Caliber 40 - LaLeLu
Asthetically, It is a freak of nature. I don't like it.
LaLeLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 00:42   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan
Its a funny thing, but to me that Maltese Falcon just looks wierd. Ugly and wierd... I guess it is just unusual. I have nothing against the old-fashioned square rigged 3 masters (apart from the fact that they couldn't sail to windward for nuts), some of them were beautiful. but Maltese Falcon, for all the millions she is "worth" is, to me, a pig!
and everyone was amazed at Falcon's ability to point as high as any of the other yachts - and with good VMG, too. It was a wonderful first race for us, as we have many ideas for going faster. As I write, we're sailing through the Straits of Bonifacio at 18 knots."
Is there anything better than hearing from somebody who totally loves their boat?
- latitude / rs
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 02:53   #7

The Maltese Falcon grows on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan
I started off thinking she was ugly, but she does grow on you, if you get the chance to observe her for some time and from all angles, like you do when sailing in her company. The problem is that few will get that chance, because not many yachts could keep up with her!!
If you go HERE you'll see two thumbnail links with her pictured. In the top one, I think she looks attractive, because the rig and hull/superstructure seem in harmony. In the lower thumbnail they don't, at least not to me. The sail plan looks like a Chinese junk and the modern hull lines seem incongruous in comparison; well that's how I see it, but others may disagree because beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.
marian is offline   Reply With Quote