Yep so I just followed the info on noonsite..
1. Get your Visa Waver ESTA.
2. Take a ferry
over to USVI.
3. They take photos, fingerprints of everyone there now as you arrive by ferry
4. Make sure your get your passport stamped- this gives you 90days entry, ask for the number sheet of ports
you can call to warn of your arrival.
5. Return back on Ferry.
6. Ring the port you wish to enter and let them know you're plans.
7. Bring in your boat.
8. Go back to customs
/ immigration. Fill in a load more forms. Get fingerprinted / photo
taken again. Get second round of passport stamps.
9. Whenever you're moving ports
ring that ports number and let them know of your travel plans.
Simple hey? Ugh.
As for fingerprints and photos. No idea. Never had that done anywhere else. But you don't argue when there's a huge guy with a gun wearing black telling you what to do. It's all digital by the way. There's a scanner you place your fingers onto and you don't get a choice in this.