Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-06-2016, 20:31   #46

Re: Curious Idiot question #3 How do you pay for that?

L L Squid, as a rule of thumb I keep enough U S cash on board to fly me and my crew to the nearest U. S. Airport in an emergency. As for using U.S. Cash to exchange for local currency, it is a very rare situation. Perhaps twice in 21 years of cruising in my case. But always have your U.S. Cash in recent brand new notes. Dirty or torn notes won't be accepted. As I say, ATM's are everywhere. Your credit union will not be able to do the job for you. Get an account with a BIG bank. I use BofA. Get the account early and develop a relationship with the bank. I spend, on average, about the equivalent of $500 U.S. In local currency per month. That is is just for living expenses. I travel in country and eat out, and drink in local bars. It could be done for a lot less. As for exchanging local currency back into U.S. Dollars, it depends on where you are. In some countries it is actually illegal. In most third world countries it is very difficult. In all countries you will lose a lot on the exchange rate. In time, with experience, you will learn to estimate quite accurately just how much local currency you will need. And. Of course, just before, you leave, you can spend those last few Hoo-hoos on whatever local products you can use. As for bribes, I almost never pay them. If you don't bring it up, it is very unlikely that they will. Offering officials "gifts" just drags out the check in process as everyone lines up to get his "share". Hope all of this helps. Don't spend too much time worrying about it. Just get out there and, as an experienced cruiser told me a couple of decades ago, "all will become apparent". Cheers

Old 25-06-2016, 21:30   #47

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I have used Wells Fargo cards all over the world except Nigeria. I was a strictly cash guy there.

Old 26-06-2016, 07:14   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
Whats the best way to go about bribing a local official? Offer to tip them for helping you out a bit because you haven't done everything properly before hand? Or just be blunt and ask them "how much?"
Thanks for all the responses. I am enjoying asking these questions and learning a lot.

Never use the word 'bribe' when dealing with cops or officials in most likely, third world countries. Ask them, "what is the fine for what i've done, and can I pay it now?"
Old 26-06-2016, 15:35   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
Never use the word 'bribe' when dealing with cops or officials in most likely, third world countries. Ask them, "what is the fine for what i've done, and can I pay it now?"
"administrative fee" is also a favorite

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: