Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2012, 17:14   #1

Crusing yachts in Ft. Lauderdale

hi,
I am currently in Florida looking to buy a yacht and am currently in Ft. Lauderdale. I was wondering where the cruising yachts hang out around here or where the best place to look is?

Looking for something around the 35 to 38 foot mark and have the cabo rico 38, island packet 35 or tartan 37 in mind so far. But am still open to other designs.

the budget for boat and refit is about 100k.
josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 17:31   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Crusing yachts in Ft. Lauderdale

First place to start is always YachtWorld. There are several boatyards up the New River, but also lots of boats behind private homes and at marinas nearby. Probably worth talking to the folks at Sailorman as a bunch of them are real cruisers fixing up boats or between voyages. They could give you some leads as to where to look. There are a gazillion marinas down there, but prices for storage are lower further north so if you are looking for stored boats you might want to move up to Palm Beach and farther north.
Old 20-12-2012, 17:47   #3

Stop by and see David Walters @ David Walters Yachts.
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 18:21   #4

Boat: Rhodes 32

Most the yachts for sale in your range are on the Fruit Isles. Feel free to check out Jordan listings (see below) and give us a ring if something interests you. I have seen many of the boats in your range locally so might be able to give you a heads up other brokerage listing like Dave's or the guys at Bollman. Beautiful weather down here this week though we're supposed to get a front coming in manana.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-co-94284.html
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 18:58   #5

Boat: Endeavour 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jordan View Post
Most the yachts for sale in your range are on the Fruit Isles. Feel free to check out Jordan listings (see below) and give us a ring if something interests you. I have seen many of the boats in your range locally so might be able to give you a heads up other brokerage listing like Dave's or the guys at Bollman. Beautiful weather down here this week though we're supposed to get a front coming in manana.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-co-94284.html
If you are in the market for a sailboat, I would definitely give Richard a call. I have dealt with him in the past and he is a topnotch sailboat broker.
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 20:31   #6

Boat: Endeavour 42

Josh- I am just about to list my boat for sale. It is a 1982 Endeavour 40. It has been meticulously maintained and upgraded. It is in the Ft. Meyers area. If interested pm me and I will give you details and lot ot recent pics. This boat took me and my wife to the eastern Caribbean and back for 1.5 yrs in comfort and style. It's ready to go again. Cptn Happy
Old 21-12-2012, 04:18   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Theres a nice 38 packet on the west coast of Fl for a great price. We have sailed on and were interested in but went w a cat instead.
We had offered 94k 2 years agp owber wanted 119. Now its at 89. Go figure.

http://www.yachtstreet.com/sail/sail...and-packet-38/
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 15:59   #8

Thanks for the response so far. I have been walking the streets here in Ft. Lauderdale for a few days now and ive done ALOT more walking than ive seen yachts. Most other places ive been to have a marina or anchorage that the cruising yachts tend to hang out at and you can normally meet people and have a chat to find out what may be on offer around town, but havent found that here. I am just missing it or does it not exist??

I am thinking of renting a car to expand the area that i can look in. Where are the best spots to have a look around, I'm asking florida wide, I have to take a drive over to port charleotte on the west coast at some point later in jan to have a look at a tartan 37 that looks really good. So i am willing to travel.
any ideas of where i should check, firstly around the east coast then over to the west??
Old 22-12-2012, 16:28   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Just walking the docks and such will take you forever and is so old school. You need to get on the internet ... Yachtworld, SailboatListing, etc. Or get yourself a buyer's broker and let them do the work. There are plenty of boats all up and down the East Coast from New England to Florida and the Caribbean and you'll never see everything that's available by walking the docks.
Old 22-12-2012, 18:00   #10

yeah starting to realise that. Been doing the internet searching as well and have a couple to look at, but enjoy getting out and meeting people and so far have come across one yacht that could be good through this, so not a total waste of time i guess.

Does anyone have any recommendations for brokers in Miami.
i will give Richard a call in the next few days to have a chat but just wondering what your experiences have been with others out there and any you would recommend.
Old 22-12-2012, 18:54   #11

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

call...... don lord jones
from yachting resourses

they have a web site......i have delt with him and he is not pushy
he has boats in miami and surrounding areas
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote