Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2014, 09:15   #1

Boat: Beneteau 49
Cruising Trinidad to Curacao

After cruising the leeward and the windward island for some time I am ready to sail to new destinations.
My boat is stored in grenada now, and I am contemplating sailing to Trinidad to Curacao.
How safe is it? I cannot find a good cruising guide as they are not reprinted anymore because of lack of customers. (not a good sign!).
Can someone give me some advise if I can go with my friend sailing a beneteau 49 in these waters?
Thanks
Princessoftides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 09:52   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Cruising Trinidad to Curacao

We have spent 3 hurricane seasons in the ABC's which are very safe. No reason to go to Trinidad which is not a particularly nice place. Stay well off the Venezuelan coast which is easier the further north in the Islands that you sail from. You can probably visit Los Roches and the Aves safely, several friends did so last year.

Bonaire with 10$ moorings and fabulous diving is much nicer than Curacao, which has a good boat yard but the anchorage, Spanish Waters, is not particularly nice. The main town, Willemstad is nice but no anchorage there.

Aruba is also nice with a good marina at the Renaissance Hotel with a nearby anchorage.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 10:01   #3

Many thanks for the information, this is encouraging. I am going to look at all the islands between Grenada and Curacao, where i may want to leave my boat fir the2015 hurricane season.
Old 19-05-2014, 10:29   #4

Boat: Boatless

For hurricane season Curacao Marine, on the hard, is safest. In the water, Harbor Village in Bonaire.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:48   #5

I am looking for advices on where to sell my boat , a beneteau 49, registered in the US, in the US virgin Islands.
Following the advices given to me previously in this forum, I have decided not to ship my boat to Spain but to sell her in the US Virgin island.
Can somebody tell me where it is safe to leave the boat at the end of the sailing season in April 2015 , and which yard will handle the selling of my boat in a lesser painful manner! .
Thank you for the help.

Tags
cruising, Curacao