Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2015, 11:16   #61

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Cruising start at 55 or 56

Another book that includes the story of Donald Crowhurst is, A Voyage For Madmen, by Peter Nichols. A had read that book several years ago when I ran across Outerbridge Reach by Robert Stone, this summer. After reading OR I re-read AVFM again.

My heart goes out to people with mental illnesses.

On the subject of this thread, decisions can be tough to make. I have found that, sometimes you can't make a decision too early; the decisions become clearer and easier to make as time passes.

The OP has to do what he feels is the right thing, but maybe it's early yet.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:54   #62
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
All of this is why I say to the OP: if you have enough, go now. If you don't, then sell another year of your life to get enough. But don't sell your life-time only to get more. If "more" is what you are after, then you'll never have enough.
If I was interested in selling my lifetime the thread would be called "Cruising start at 65 or 66".

Of course the cruising kitty low would be around $300k and assets at age 70 would be $700k. But what good would it do me?

It's going to be a rough work year for me mentally as I started this journey with the target of 55 and counting down the time was a big part of getting though the days. Now it rolls into another year in the back of my mind and the word SUCKS keeps running around it.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:32   #63

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

[QUOTE=SwissMocha;1719064]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Sorry to correct you, Jim. The Name was Hiscock.
Well, you are certainly correct! Sorry about that, Alain and everyone. I have likely misspelled just about every word imaginable in my life, but to misspell the name of an early hero is bad form!

Thanks for the correction.

Jim
Old 08-01-2015, 13:00   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Now it rolls into another year in the back of my mind and the word SUCKS keeps running around it.
All I can add is that there are, of course, many many many skippers who could only wish they had your choices.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:53   #65
CLOD

Well it looks that I'm going to wait the extra year. I'm already rethinking house projects timing requirements.

Guess I'm going to have more time to do CF posts and threads, so that's an added benefit for all of you
Old 10-01-2015, 00:05   #66

I'm 83 and looking to circumnavigate at age 85. If you can do more than 8% per year as you stated I would definitely go the added year but your stated increase is totally unbelievable.
LasVegasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:49   #67
CLOD

I just don't understand this belief that people can not put money into savings and at the same thing not spend money in savings, with the result of having more money at the end.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:03   #68

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
I just don't understand this belief that people can not put money into savings and at the same thing not spend money in savings, with the result of having more money at the end.

But if you do that you're not spending more than you make!!!! So un-American of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:22   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You must have one of those lives where everything is nice. You work, you save, you work on the boat etc.

Sometimes out of the blue things happen, with me it was my son. He had just gained 25 pounds working out on weights because he hadn't been feeling right.

So last June he slept for 2 days. We thought date rape drug? (He's a musician) But he said he felt like a new person in the universe. Almost no memory.

Long story short he was diagnosed with a Grade III Brain Tumor and given 2-5 years to live. He's had two 6 hour brain surgeries.

So with the 12 or so flights, motels for a couple months, prescriptions, paying his rent, electric, cable, missing work, etc it kinda puts a dent into your boat and cruising fund. Oh yeah, and he did have a seizure while driving so there's that.

I hope this doesn't sound like an attack because non of us are 6 prepared for such a thing when it happens.

He has since been through radiation and concurrent chemo for weeks, the chemo for 3 more months and he's about sick of it. He's 32 btw.
I'm very sorry to hear that about your son. But, his situation also underlines the importance of doing things you want to do right now, rather than postponing them from being sure you will be able to do them later. Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:27   #70

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Well, some people just simply like to shop and have no concept of a budget while others may be helping their adult kids, or taking care of an elderly parent, or raising a grandchild.

We tech types are great at budgeting as long as we have a decent job. People that are artists though or not so great at it.

Maybe your life is pretty simple. No real life issues etc which makes it much easier to save and not spend.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:30   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I'm very sorry to hear that about your son. But, his situation also underlines the importance of doing things you want to do right now, rather than postponing them from being sure you will be able to do them later. Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.
Damn, I was blowing off steam and deleted that. But thanks.

Btw, he doesn't want people feeling sorry for him. He's too young for that. Plus he keeps repeating what a gift it has been despite my objections.

We, he and I, have learned tons from this experience.

Since it's up there now, here he is in the hospital just 2 weeks after we found out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Operation 1.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	95263  
Old 10-01-2015, 06:36   #72

One last thing. Like I said I deleted the above buy Group9 happened on it before I could delete.

Mike and the others have been touching on this stuff during this whole thread.

I want to show one video that displays what it's like to really enjoy being alive. Here he is "at work" 4 months into treatment which includes two 6 plus hour operations and all the crappy drugs that go with that, 6 weeks of IMRT 360 degree radiation, and chemo.

He is 20 pounds lighter here also and all his hair is gone. He just had a 4 week break from the chemo and radiation:

Old 10-01-2015, 06:40   #73
CLOD

Quote:
Well, some people just simply like to shop and have no concept of a budget while others may be helping their adult kids, or taking care of an elderly parent, or raising a grandchild.

We tech types are great at budgeting as long as we have a decent job. People that are artists though or not so great at it.

Maybe your life is pretty simple. No real life issues etc which makes it much easier to save and not spend.
WOW you got all that just be my being able to save money. Thank you.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:12   #74

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
...Mike and the others have been touching on this stuff during this whole thread.

I want to show one video that displays what it's like to really enjoy being alive. Here he is "at work" 4 months into treatment which includes two 6 plus hour operations and all the crappy drugs that go with that, 6 weeks of IMRT 360 degree radiation, and chemo.
Lovely. Glorious. He's living -- and alive! That's all any of us can aspire to.

I have some small sense of what you're going through thomm225. It's always harder for family and friends. You and your son have my deepest sympathies, but he's doing great -- better than most people in our society who never learn how to be alive.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:27   #75

Quote:
One last thing. Like I said I deleted the above buy Group9 happened on it before I could delete.

Mike and the others have been touching on this stuff during this whole thread.

He is 20 pounds lighter here also and all his hair is gone. He just had a 4 week break from the chemo and radiation:

Good for him! I bet he has a completely different take on a lot of things!

Tags
cruising