Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-01-2015, 08:55   #46

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Re: Cruising start at 55 or 56

[QUOTE=ALAIN97133;1717910]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

No, but I guess something terrible ? It doesn't matter, what's important is what you learned in the books. I've just checked on Wikipedia where it says "Outerbridge Reach is based loosely on the story of Donald Crowhurst": I know the real story of the British sailor who chikened out in the Atlantic while pretending he was doing the Golden Globe Race (Around the world race)... By the way I'm looking for books that I read when I was 20/25 about a British couple who wrote several books while sailing around the world on their small sailboat... Later on, they had a much bigger steel sailboat built in Holland -I think- & they kept cruising & writing about cruising around the world ? Could somebody remind my their names ? Thanks
I think there was also a series on television about that couple back in the day. Can't quite remember their name but their boat had some catchy name.

As far as cruising now or later, I got to observe folks in Pensacola do both.

One guy quit his job, sold his car and apartment furniture etc and sailed off on his Cape Dory 30 to lower Florida where he got back into his old hobby of drinking. He was in his 40's.

He was back in a few months and started over. He did buy a Tayana 37 though and moved aboard. That boat though was destroyed by Hurricane Ivan a few years later when it was knocked of the stands it was on. He had it pulled before the hurricane hit. That hurricane was a 3/4 and we got pounded by 135mph winds for about 10 hours straight. There was an 18' surge in some places and multiple tornados.

Another was a couple. After he retired to the cruising life, they sailed off in their new model Catalina 36. They lasted 6 months then moved to a lake in Maine.

The one true cruiser was a guy passing through that anchored in front of our dock on Bayou Grande for a week. The story was he was going to sail as long as his money lasted. I think he had a few hundred thousand. Maybe $200,000. He was already around 60 and was sailing some sort of Full Keel Beast maybe a Luders or something. He seems quite happy though.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:10   #47
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Sorry if my wife and I make good money. But some reliefs have math problems

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 07-01-2015, 12:39   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It's an interesting thought experiment Thin, this peering into the future. Maybe it comes down to where one's focus is; are you present-focused, or future-focused (or perhaps even past-focused, as most very elderly folk are). Of course, we're a balance of all perspectives, but it's clear that some people give a greater emphasis to present vs future than others.

Or maybe it's that sense of mortality some people have, or learn (the hard way). We all know that none of us are getting out of this alive, but it often takes a real brush with death to wake us up to this fact. These life-changing events usually push people to live more for the now.

Perhaps too it comes down to how much security or certainty your life has had up till now. Those who have never had much certainty in life (I count myself in this crowd) are more versed in living with an unknown and insecure future. Those who've been able to exert more control over their present and future lives are probably well-trained to pursuing life like this.

The thing about doing something off the beaten path, like sailing away in a small boat, is that it demands that we dance in the mystery. I am not a reckless person, but I also know how little in my life is controllable. I'm content to live with uncertainty ... more so than others (but less so than some).
You do write well, Mike. I really enjoy reading your posts.

And, I also agree. I think anyone thinking that any time at all is guaranteed to us in life, needs to look at the obituaries in their local paper, and see how many of the people in them are younger than they are. And, then ask the question, "A year ago, what did those people think they would be doing today?"
Old 07-01-2015, 12:44   #49
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
It's an interesting thought experiment Thin, this peering into the future. Maybe it comes down to where one's focus is; are you present-focused, or future-focused (or perhaps even past-focused, as most very elderly folk are). Of course, we're a balance of all perspectives, but it's clear that some people give a greater emphasis to present vs future than others.

Or maybe it's that sense of mortality some people have, or learn (the hard way). We all know that none of us are getting out of this alive, but it often takes a real brush with death to wake us up to this fact. These life-changing events usually push people to live more for the now.

Perhaps too it comes down to how much security or certainty your life has had up till now. Those who have never had much certainty in life (I count myself in this crowd) are more versed in living with an unknown and insecure future. Those who've been able to exert more control over their present and future lives are probably well-trained to pursuing life like this.

The thing about doing something off the beaten path, like sailing away in a small boat, is that it demands that we dance in the mystery. I am not a reckless person, but I also know how little in my life is controllable. I'm content to live with uncertainty ... more so than others (but less so than some).
Very lucid. Without question, my up bring has been financial risk adverse, where as my physical risk tolerance runs high.

My choice has been to add mini-adventures, typically a few weeks, nearly every year. You never know when injury may slow you down, and this way you enjoy now and reduce future risk. Many of these have been sailing, and some have been climbing expeditions.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 15:18   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

[QUOTE=ALAIN97133;1717910]
Quote:

No, but I guess something terrible ? It doesn't matter, what's important is what you learned in the books. I've just checked on Wikipedia where it says "Outerbridge Reach is based loosely on the story of Donald Crowhurst": I know the real story of the British sailor who chikened out in the Atlantic while pretending he was doing the Golden Globe Race (Around the world race)... By the way I'm looking for books that I read when I was 20/25 about a British couple who wrote several books while sailing around the world on their small sailboat... Later on, they had a much bigger steel sailboat built in Holland -I think- & they kept cruising & writing about cruising around the world ? Could somebody remind my their names ? Thanks
The couple to whom you refer is Eric and Susan Hitchcock in their various "Wanderers".

Jim
Old 07-01-2015, 16:37   #51
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:

"Outerbridge Reach is based loosely on the story of Donald Crowhurst": I know the real story of the British sailor who chikened out in the Atlantic while pretending he was doing the Golden Globe Race (Around the world race)...

He did not chicken out. Donald Crowhurst had a mental illness that may have been treatable today with modern drugs.
He acheived a remarkable amount without the support he needed that he would have had now, and it fnally drove him to suicide.

In this 21st millennium we consider those with similar mental illnesses much better than we did in the 1960s.

These days people with all sorts of handicaps sail the world, remember those blind people that circumnavigated? We owe it to ourselves to look back and reconsider what we felt about people like Donald Crowhurst. If the race was in 2015 and his illness properly diagnosed, and people cared, we could have banded together and given him the support via radio or email to complete the vast endevour that he started. An endeavor that so few people have done.

An endeavor that so few people who slag him off have done.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 16:49   #52

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

[QUOTE=ALAIN97133;1717910

No, but I guess something terrible ? It doesn't matter, what's important is what you learned in the books. I've just checked on Wikipedia where it says "Outerbridge Reach is based loosely on the story of Donald Crowhurst": I know the real story of the British sailor who chikened out in the Atlantic while pretending he was doing the Golden Globe Race (Around the world race)... By the way I'm looking for books that I read when I was 20/25 about a British couple who wrote several books while sailing around the world on their small sailboat... Later on, they had a much bigger steel sailboat built in Holland -I think- & they kept cruising & writing about cruising around the world ? Could somebody remind my their names ? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Actually it was posted by this guy. See above. I want him to have the credit.

Anyway, in the book Outerbridge Reach the dude set out to do a Round the World Race. He really wasn't qualified for a race like that but attempted it anyway.

After he saw he had made a mistake, he started losing it. The only reception he could get on his radio was some weird ass religious channel which pretty much put him over the edge. I'll save the ending for those that might read it.

As a guy with an overly active mind that cruises quite a ways offshore at times, I will probably never read it again.

If you want a book that will get you excited about sailing, read Ship Killer by Justin Scott. It was written in the late 70's and features a 38' Nautor Swan which the guy uses to try an destroy an oil tanker that killed his wife and destroyed his boat.

The Swan 38 is one hell of a boat btw:

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2390

https://www.google.com/search?q=naut...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
Old 07-01-2015, 17:14   #53
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Actually it was posted by this guy. See above. I want him to have the credit.

Oppps, Sorry.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:15   #54

Quote:

I have lived a fairly reckless life, in a very hazardous occupation, where taking large risks, often for very small possible benefits, was such a daily occurrence that I got to the point where I didn't even trust my decision making any more at times (and to a certain extent I still feel that way). I saw co-workers get killed, or seriously injured, doing things that I did on a regular basis, that I didn't even regard as particularly risky. I left a lucrative law career, at a relatively young age, to do this, taking a pretty significant cut in pay (and setting my standard that enjoyment of life trumped financial well being at an early age). So my family has always thought I was a little off anyway. My cruising decisions have just confirmed it for them.

Once after taking a personality test that my job required, when I became a supervisor, the tester described my score for my tolerance for risk to me as "arrogant to the point of stupidity". Not a compliment, but it seemed pretty accurate when taking much of my history into account.

And, I've been diagnosed with cancer twice, testicular in 1996 and prostrate in 2007. I survived both of mine, but it is a wake up call of the first magnitude when you get that diagnosis. A long time friend of mine, was diagnosed with prostrate cancer about the same time as me, only his treatment was not successful. His cancer has now metastasized into his bones and he doesn't have long left to live.

Another friend, who worked at the same place I did, was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma about the same time as my testicular diagnosis and we compared notes on our treatment and medical experiences, right up until the point he died.

Without a doubt, I used to be much more afraid of being broke than of dying (as silly as that sounds to be now). But, I have found, that once your notion of invincibility has been broken, and you come to grips with your inevitable mortality, you often look at life much differently, and the amount of money you have in the bank, moves down several notches in your priority order.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:29   #55
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

I have found, that once your notion of invincibility has been broken, and you come to grips with your inevitable mortality, you often look at life much differently, and the amount of money you have in the bank, moves down several notches in your priority order.
Thanks for your story.

Realising ones own mortality makes for better people, too. The priorities of life are better understood.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:30   #56

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
... Anyway, in the book Outerbridge Reach the dude set out to do a Round the World Race. He really wasn't qualified for a race like that but attempted it anyway...The Swan 38 is one hell of a boat btw:[/URL]
Not only he wasn't qualified but he was only a sweet dreamer -while real offshore sailors are dreamers AND rational dudes. His trimaran was a joke when compare to the ones doing round the world race now

About the Swan 38, I think that the moment a sailboat is well built, whether racer, racer-cruiser or cruiser, we some work, we can cruise in it, unless of course it was meant for a team of "gorillas" such as the Volvo Race 70
Old 08-01-2015, 08:26   #57

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Without a doubt, I used to be much more afraid of being broke than of dying (as silly as that sounds to be now). But, I have found, that once your notion of invincibility has been broken, and you come to grips with your inevitable mortality, you often look at life much differently, and the amount of money you have in the bank, moves down several notches in your priority order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Realising ones own mortality makes for better people, too. The priorities of life are better understood.

Coming face to face with one's own mortality is something we all get to do ... eventually. The lucky few of us who get a good look at the Grim Reaper, and manage to get away (at least temporarily) usually develop a deeper appreciation for what really matters in life. I had my very real brush with death early on when I decided to take the fast way down a 7-story elevator shaft. It was a painful lesson in what really matters in life.

Wealth, power, security ... all these are illusions. Our societies train its citizens (now called consumers) to need the unimportant, and to fear what is truly valuable. We're taught to always want more -- more money, more stuff, more boat, always more. We're trained to fear not having more. All of this is why I say to the OP: if you have enough, go now. If you don't, then sell another year of your life to get enough. But don't sell your life-time only to get more. If "more" is what you are after, then you'll never have enough.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:38   #58

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:

I had my very real brush with death early on when I decided to take the fast way down a 7-story elevator shaft. It was a painful lesson in what really matters in life.
Mike, off topic. Did this accident occur in the Canova Beach, FL area during the mid eighties?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:45   #59

Boat: Privilege 435

[QUOTE=Jim Cate;1718372]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post

The couple to whom you refer is Eric and Susan Hitchcock in their various "Wanderers".

Jim
Sorry to correct you, Jim. The Name was Hiscock.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:32   #60

Boat: Ericson 34

[QUOTE=SwissMocha;1719064]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Sorry to correct you, Jim. The Name was Hiscock.
As an architect, I'm spending (wasting?) a lot of time looking at sailboat layouts. Anybody would know where I could find the plans of the Wanderer IV & Wanderer V... I'm curious to see what old salts considered back then as the ideal offshore cruising boat ? I remembered that the Wanderer IV was first shown at the London Boat show back in 196?
Thanks & Happy New Year

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: