Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2018, 09:36   #31

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

I believe a primary driver in reduced numbers of people buying sailboats is reduced income. In 1970, it appears the median income (inflation adjusted) was about $66,000. The same number today is $31,000. The average (not median) income income has grown from $41K to $48K in the same timeframe, but most of that increase is skewed toward the top 5% or so of the population. So, simply put, most people have significantly less disposable income for things like boats today. There are other factors at play as has been pointed out, but I always say follow the money when working out a solution to such a puzzle.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 09:41   #32

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
The timely combination of fiberglass technology, disposable income, leisure time and the oil crisis created a peak in sailboat production. The king of the every-man sailboat, Catalina Yachts, had churned out almost 25,000 sailboats per decade by 1990. Since then, they have averaged maybe 3,000 / decade, with dozens of competitors going under. [2][7]
The reason for this part of the OP is basically, there are thousnads and thousands of very good condition boats that twenty to thirty years old. Why spend twice or more for a new one?

The trend in Mfg'ing seems to be build boats of such a size that were just not available in those years. It would be interesting to know what was the largest boat Catalina built in the mid-eighties. I think they just announced the introduction of the largest boat they have produced, something 50' plus.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 09:58   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
I dont know the answer. Sailing is money, time, skill and most of all, commitment. The generation coming up now doesnt have any of those things. Day sail, yes; a week sail, sure why not; buying?? Hmm.

Aside from tastes changing and sailing not fitting into internet time, when sailing was much stronger there was less competition for your attention. People can spend an entire day on facebook and not pay it any mind, whereas sailing is "will we be home soon? i havent been on facebook in four days!!"

In 1965, our family friends, having absolutely none of what we have now, sold their house, bought a boat and sailed the world for the next seven years. Such people are todays oddballs and how many are there out there? The normal person, the bulk of the masses, is the facebook addict who cant spell the word sail. For sailing to thrive, there would be more people returning to the normality of 1965 and those pages have already been turned. People arrogantly think they havent been changed by tech and net and are still the same as ever but look at their actions--oh yes they have.
The thing is that sailing is so slow as compared to the real world especially for the younger generation that grew up with cell phones etc. There is much less stimulation for the brain which makes it very nice and relaxing for some of us that are older with hectic jobs and lives

With the technology we have on land, you have an instant encyclopedia, access to the latest news, and information to repair almost anything plus a store where most anything can be ordered at your finger tips.

Sailing is like turning back the clock to a slower time.........which is why some of us will try an approach cruising slowly

And when I say cruising, I mean offshore sailing out of phone and internet range
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 09:59   #34

What an interesting conversation. I'm what one comedian would refer to as an "elder millenial" at age 34. My wife is 28 so a solid millenial. We want nothing more than to cast of and travel the world by sea forever. Some of the issue is wage staganation, also her insane college debt (Navy paid for mine). We are starting to make some serious life changes in order to get back on the water within the next ten years. It's possible. We are both capable and now determined more than ever with our growing pessimism toward the society in which we live.

When I was in the military I owned and lived on a 30' Irwin and inspired a friend to do the same. Beyond that I don't know anybody my age or younger (except my wife) that would ever consider living on a boat, let alone travelling the world on one. My young son went to sailing camp for several weeks over 2 years and ultimately decided that it was not for him. Makes me sad but at the same time very proud that he at least tried it and learned a lot.

I think its just different times. In many cases it would almost seem that there are so many options for life that people get overwhelmed and just stick with the "standard path." It's what I ultimately did and only now realize what a trap that path is.

This is pretty far off from the OP. I guess I just wanted to let you all know that us young folk are still interested and will be out there with you eventually.
Luckyknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 10:00   #35

How about no place to keep them? (Sailboats)
Marinas sit by their very nature on
highly desirable real estate.
I know of 4 marinas that are now
Townhouse Condos.
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 10:04   #36

Boat: BOC 50

When you sail into a marina:
Two words on your forehead "Meal Ticket" and boy do they take advantage.
The Marina's are killing it. "Do not bite the hand that feeds you"
In most places you could stay ashore fully inclusive for what it costs to tie the boat up.
Anchorages are disappearing.
Having said that I am about to buy my fifth boat!!!
Jimroda06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 10:43   #37

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

It is very obvious that real sailing and seamanship is also a dying breed.

However, all of us geezedom nautical weavers can be happy and maybe proud that we experienced what we lived in the golden days of sailing, and still continue to fit cruising, bare boating, boat ownership or being a member of a quality sailing club into our lives. Along with many other endeavors, flying, SCUBA diving, sky diving, hiking, etc, etc.

As to sailing....

We see skippers or owners of sailing vessels that do not or cannot sail...we see power boat owners who live aboard but know nothing about power boating and some of their boats do not have engines, or their engines are not operable.

We see many, sailing catamarans, with 15 to 20 kts of wind, motoring all ahead both, some times with a main hoisted. Where we are reefed down, with a small jib, making 6 kts or so, but do have to tack a few over a few hours passage. Aye, a slight heel, light weather helm or none, the wind on our faces, and feeling fantastic.

We see 90 % of monohulls and sailing cats, that in harbor do not tie their halyards off away from the mast.....we tie em all off, so we do not have to listen to the clinking and pinging all night, and neither would our neighbors in the anchorage, mooring area or even at a dock slip.

We cannot do a bloody thing about the current situation, and all of the electronics, and let the GPS, auto pilot, moving maps, electric winches, A/C, trash compactors, etc, do all of the work all of the time.

But, we all can still sail when we can, navigate, read and use nautical charts as well as GPS, and spend two weeks sailing the BVI, and only use 7 to 8 gallons of fuel...mostly to charge the batteries.

Importantly, we all can also be thankful, for those many, many years of sailing, some world wide, some coastal, some on lakes, and having the knowledge to handle most every situation, and many able to handle their own boat maintenance , which when reading the posts on CF are amazing in their knowledge. I am mightly amazed on a daily basis.

It is now a different time, and different ideas, and attitudes, and going from point A to point B, made possible by electronic wonders . But, we still have new sailors who do take structured sailing courses, and put in extra time to learn, and gain experience.

Present time , it is the way it is, but we all can continue to haul up the main, roll out the jib, turn off the iron genny, and be part of the sea and the wind.
s usual, we also know, that we all enjoy continuing to learn in all aspects of sailing, our boats, the weather, the ocean, and new procedures .

For us, those many decades, have brought great experiences , adventures in paradise, and fun friendships.

We feel fortunate and thankful.

Also, up at the beach side bars, we will snug in, and share toasts and talk story with the new breed, as well as the old . Keeping the fun light illuminated.

As to the number of boats being built, new people getting into sailing and power boating, Erica and I have no control over that.....we just fully intend to enjoy our sailing to the max for as long a time as we have left.

To you all, Fair winds, following seas, and sharing that precious cargo of new and old friendships.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 10:44   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
How about no place to keep them? (Sailboats)
Marinas sit by their very nature on
highly desirable real estate.
I know of 4 marinas that are now
Townhouse Condos.
Cheers
Neil
A couple of marinas near me (Southern California) are fascinating in that they are mostly loaded with sailboats that almost never leave the dock. This is only my own observation but it seems apparent that a few hundred dollars a month buys the boat owner an occasional sundowner platform- sorta like a waterfront bungalow that gets visited once a month at best. Hey, it's a free country (except I can't drink a beer on the beach), but I always scrunch up my face in confusion as we pass all those unattended boats while heading out to the most gorgeous conditions a sailor could dream of.
I think this simply means that such marinas are of no use to determine data on real cruisers. The real cruisers are out there, not in here.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 12:02   #39

Boat: Newport 30

The marinas we want to get into in the Vancouver area for our 30 foot boat that's worth less than $20,000 CDN all want roughly $5,000/year for moorage. That's AFTER waiting for 1-3 years on a wait list.

I would not suggest to my son that he purchase a cruising boat. If he wanted to get out on the water, I would suggest he gets a trailer-able IF he has a place to park it.

Sailing is worth the effort. It's even worth the sometimes ridiculous costs. Younger people simply don't have the resources (money and time) to enjoy it the way we have done.

Here's the good news: Once all us geezers start to (ahem) depart, there will be a vast transfer of wealth to the younger generation, some of whom will love the idea of cruising around and having fun just like we did.

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 12:18   #40

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I found this one of the best non-technical posts so far. I thank you all for your research.
When I grew up in the 50's & 60's a working man had a boat, two cars and a summer cabin with a wife who didn't work. Now that summer cabin, on the water, in the San Juan Islands cost a million dollars. Normally the wife works.
Others have lots of money but between the obligatory few weeks in Maui and another few weeks in Europe it leaves little time for taking care of a sailboat.
When we were young it seemed that everyone I knew dreamt of sailing around the world. Now they dream of getting rich and becoming famous.
That said, everything is cyclical. There are many factors.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 14:25   #41

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Very interesting thread.

It would be very instructive to obtain from all coastal States and inland water States the statistics of sailboat registrations (new and used) year by year and broken down by vessel sizes.

That would definitely show a trend.
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 14:28   #42

Boat: Island Packet 350

I would like to know what the crew of SV Delos or La Vagabonde or any of the other younger YouTubers think about this topic?
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 14:33   #43

Boat: Outbound 46

With our experience of increasingly crowded anchorages in the Caribbean, I could only wish that the popularity of cruising was decreasing.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 14:49   #44

Boat: Hunter passage42

Just a couple of quick thoughts. My marina two years ago had vacant slips. Next season there is a waiting list of 44. The next nearby harbour has a 6 year waiting period for a slip.
Now about 75% of the boats don't move all season. No problem. Everyone uses their boats for different reasons and will pay the price for that privilage.
When I travel to an anchorage for the weekend, let's say, I always hope there is no one there when I arrive. Living on a boat as your home is limited to a very small percentage of the boating community. (As it should be)
degouwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 14:50   #45

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
The reason for this part of the OP is basically, there are thousnads and thousands of very good condition boats that twenty to thirty years old. Why spend twice or more for a new one?

The trend in Mfg'ing seems to be build boats of such a size that were just not available in those years. It would be interesting to know what was the largest boat Catalina built in the mid-eighties. I think they just announced the introduction of the largest boat they have produced, something 50' plus.
I agree.... Very few middle size boats at the recent Annapolis Boat Show. Many huge automated yacht for a generally older and monied customer base.
Why would a "regular" (average age/income) millennial individual or couple be attracted by these mega yachts? They are a flat no-no: too expensive, too much to learn, too much maintenance, too much depreciation after the gleamy yacht leaves the broker's dock, etc.
Flip the pages or Cruising World or Sail... all the ads are for these mega yachts!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, sailboat, sail, boat, cruising sailboat