Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 17:09   #31

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett
Re: Cruising plans... How do you plan anchorages/moorings?

I dont know if there is a good answere to that...Each person has his or her on set of comfortable feeling based on there experience as well as the boat they have. I am looking at everyone's coments and taking notes as i am planning a long distance run in the fall..this summer will be major practice run with each one outting being a fact finding mission. I am using Active Captain...On the water crusing guides...Capt Bob's crusing guide...and anything else i can get my hands on...another factor is time and money...my goal is the keys and right now my cost is calculated at $1.00 a mile. I would like to reduce that to $0.50 mile so that is something i will work on this summer..Fuel is a major cost if u go down the ICW or do a lot of motoring...Marina's can get expensive if you elect to stay in them often...but knowing your limts as well as your boats limits is important...thats my 2 cents worth...and yes always have a back up plan...
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 17:13   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i dont plan ahead.
planning ahead is scheduling
scheduling kills
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 18:54   #33

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i dont plan ahead.
planning ahead is scheduling
scheduling kills
Not planning can kill too. Do you check on the weather? If so you're planning. Do you think about seasons?

Now we each have different personalities. Some can be extremely happy with no plan or schedule. You sound like one of those. Others would be quite unhappy leading life like that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:00   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Cruising plans... How do you plan Anchorages/Moorings?

Let's accept that there is a variety in interpreting "the plan". We may "plan" to crusie to Maine for the summer, but in agreement with Zeehag, we must moderate our daily expectations (plans) with all the forces of nature.

To the topic of choosing an anchorage:
1- We do look at charts, guides, internet comments, Google Earth, etc.
2- Weather conditions are primary,- forecast wind speed & direction
3- Geograpy,- surrounding topography & fetch; bottom substrate - sand, clay, grass, soft mud, rock, coral marl, etc.
4- Tidal range,- allowing for suficient rode and draft clearance
5- Tidal currents, wakes, crowded with boats, insects, industrial pollution, noise, brights lights.... these have played a role in choices too!

Our purpose in anchoring is important to the choice too. Are we there to rest, for storm protection, waiting for tidal current, shopping, shore access, snorkeling, crew exchange?

Bottom line: You must have some expectations (plans) and the primary thing to expect is change!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:15   #35
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Mayhap there is a lack of understanding between "planning" and "research"?

Before we go somewhere new we do as others in this thread have mentioned - we look up all the relevant info on ports, weather, culture, etc. we also have our "go to list" of places we want to go and things we want to see...

Rarely do we end up doing and seeing what we expected because we leave ourselves open to what happens on a day by day basis, but we do do a lot of research and that allows us to be flexible. For example if we are in a given port and meet sailors that tell us, "you must see x and y in such and such place", we will likely have charts and knowledge about how to get there and what is involved because we did our research and if we don't we can tap into the local community.

Don't really see how spending time getting to know a place before you go there inhibits cruising or spontaneity as seems to be suggested?

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:21   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Bottom line: You must have some expectations (plans) and the primary thing to expect is change!

You put that a lot better than I could.

Zeehag, could we agree on flexible planning, after all, for most people, there is a goal to aim for, and some planning, or contingency planning is needed on the way.
In my case, I sail mostly on the NW coast of the UK, and the Irish Sea, and that's all year round. I'll set off with some sort of goal, but I always have enough planning carried out beforehand so I can run away from bad weather if I have too. Most of the refuge ports, rivers etc around my way can only be entered 3 hrs either side of high water, so thats one bit of planning needed at least.

I think this thread just got a little overheated through some misinterpretation, time, time to relax, must be beer o'clock somewhere in the world around about now.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 13:46   #37

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privleoplag View Post
How does this work after checking out.. I've always felt the countries we've checked into and out of were pretty strict on what our previous port of departure was, travel time to the destination, how long are we going to be there, and what is our next port of arrival. How has that worked out for you if you have shown up in a different country than what you said you were going to?
Hasn't happened to us (yet) so I haven't a definitive answer.

Dug out our clearance paper from New Zealand to check something, and on it we'd listed our next three "intended" overseas ports. I suspect we could have entered any of those first without Customs blinking an eye.

No, in my post I'd intended to convey that Customs/Immigration would be flexible if you've a reasonable tale. What I'm relying upon is the International Law of the Sea - the old saw of "any port in a storm" for escape, or maybe needing repairs for storm damage, and of course if requesting emergency medical help.

To that end, seems I read here on CF about a husband/wife who were attacked aboard their anchored yacht in one Carib country, the husband upped anchor, sailed to the near-by next country basically because he thought the medical services were better there and his wife was seriously injured. No outbound clearance paperwork at all; no arguments from Customs/Immigration upon arrival; nothing but help offered to him and his wife. So there's that as an example.

Even so, I'd not think it wise to arbitrarily arrive someplace else not on the clearance papers and (maybe) try arguing that we'd heard over the SSB that a cruiser's beach party is planned and we wanted to join!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 16:19   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> Dug out our clearance paper from New Zealand to check something, and on it we'd listed our next three "intended" overseas ports. I suspect we could have entered any of those first without Customs blinking an eye.

I suspect that wouldn't give a toss what country you actually ended up entering next. Generally, authorities are only really interested in where you have come from on arrival and the fact that really are going somewhere else when you say you are leaving. (If you leave Auckland en route for Fiji and they spot you heading South, you may be asked some awkward questions

Edit: On second thoughts, I see that you mean the customs in your next arrival country being concerned about where you told NZ you were going. Again, I doubt that it would be a problem. All that they are really interested in is that you did properly clear out of the previous country.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:55   #39

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Edit: On second thoughts, I see that you mean the customs in your next arrival country being concerned about where you told NZ you were going. Again, I doubt that it would be a problem. All that they are really interested in is that you did properly clear out of the previous country.
Yeah - You've probably nailed it there and we might be overthinking this.

Possible also that exit officials ask "What's your next port?" so they have an answer should the question arise. You know, like "anybody know the whereabouts of Ship XYZ and/or when/where they were headed"?
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 16:08   #40

I most often winged it. Never know how long I'll stay where I am. Look at the chart for about a 45 mile max day trip or less and plan accordingly to get there as early as possible if a populated area.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 17:32   #41

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I've done it a few different ways.

Years ago I spent three wonderful weeks cruising Nova Scotia and eastern Maine. We alternated one night anchoring out somewhere remote and the next night picking up a mooring or tie-ing up at a slip in town somewhere. That's the closest I ever came to planning.

I usually have an idea of the destinations I want to hit, but that's subject to change based on weather, crew, boat, etc. The only time I commit to a schedule (and I really don't like to) is when I need to make a reservation for a slip somewhere my crew really wants to go.

I prefer to have a rough idea in the back of my mind, based on research ahead of time, and then adjust. For example, a few years ago coming down the coast of Maine the weather forecast called for a miserable sailing day in a couple of days. Instead of making for Isle of Shoals the day before, as I had as a plan in the back of my mind, I pulled into Portsmouth NH. Crew and I spent the day in a bar in town instead of getting beaten up heading further down the coast, or instead of hunkering down below decks anchored off the islands.

It can go the other way too -- with great conditions I'll cover more ground and enjoy some great sailing.

Deliveries are a bit of a different matter. Then I plan the itinerary, perhaps with a few backup (bail-out) spots, and then wait for a favorable weather window.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 18:45   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We presently cruise the Great Lakes. Mostly there are harbors of refuge every 50 miles or so. Some are a bit shallow for us. We plan by wind direction & intensity. Water & fuel here are not a problem. For long cruises, a week or more, we cook ahead & portion pack. Pre-freezing in dry ice and filling the fridge & freezer + a 25# dry ice brick lets the refrigeration stay off for a week or more. We try to never be forced to hold a schedule.

This works OK as a coast-hopping plan. Off-shore requires a bit more effort & weather planning.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 23:59   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepInTune View Post
Are most of you using ActiveCaptain for anchorages and mooring information and planning, or are there other services that you rely on?
It seems that ActiveCaptain is good in the USA. Can't find much info there for Australia
eish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:41   #44

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by eish View Post
It seems that ActiveCaptain is good in the USA. Can't find much info there for Australia
So start posting what you know - your posts will draw others to post and suddenly you'll have a great resource.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:20   #45

I usually decide on where I am heading next by the wind and currents and expected weather for the next few days. As others have said schedules can get you into trouble. I have no problem changing destinations depending how the sail goes. I also check the buoy data for wind speeds when I can because you can't always trust Mr. NOAA. Always carry an Eldridge Tide and Pilot book on board when cruising the East Coast of the U.S. and check Active Captain and post on it too. I use both a chart plotter and also keep charts close at hand when underway.

Tags
anchor, anchorages, cruising, mooring