Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-05-2008, 15:58   #16

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Sorry, I was away at the boat this weekend.... Well if you have three months coupled to a cat, then you will find enough rivers and estuaries to keep you occupied....

My personality is that I am interested in new horizons... so I tend to move on. Therefore as you are about to explore England and Scotland, I would suggest that it depends on how well you already know it. The East coast from South England to the Tay was where the Roman established settlements. I personally am interested in history so my timetable would be predicated on "onshore" interests and when sated would meander on.

Here in Venezuela I have the weather, tropical islands and as such my sailing is geared to lazy days as generally the onshore does not match the offshore. When I lived in Denmark the onshore in Denmark as well as Norway and Sweden matched the sailing possibilities, therefore we tended to sail to a destination.

So really its horses for courses.... How far up are you thinking of reaching?

For all the places in the world that I have lived and viewed and sailed.... None, absolutely none have every matched the beauty of the west coast of Scotland from Largs north. However assuming that you will be returning to Brighton. ( I used to live there..Not far from the marina). Why not take a month.... to say Edinburgh and two months meandering down poping into those places that while going North, over a few pints of bitter at the places you stopped, your enquires of the locals gave you local gems, which in Edinburgh(My home town) over a couple of ales and scottish "nippy sweeties' you can parse and select the best for your return journey.

In any event I am sure you will have a surfiet of opportunities. I will be interested in knowing how it finally worked out.

regards

Alan

Old 12-05-2008, 20:09   #17

Boat: Privilege 37
SV Cattales Pace

Phillip,

We also cruise a Privilege 37 so our speeds are similar, but our pace could be entirely different. After cruising with several different friends, pace is very much a personal preference. We like to cruise the Bahamas and have met people that anchor in the same harbor for 4-6 mos and others that can't stay in the same place for more than 2 days. We tend to spend a week in a place we like and just one night if we aren't happy with the location.

Very often our pace is dictated by the weather, tides, and amount of daylight. We may have to skip a desirable stop to find a safer "hidey hole" to prepare for nasty weather or we may push hard for 2-3 days in a row to take advantage of a good weather window. With the price of diesel fuel going through the roof, we are also trying to decrease our motoring time by sailing more and waiting longer for the fair winds.

One thing we really like about our Privilege is the capability to cover lots of miles when necessary. On a recent trip from Tampa, Fl to Key West we took advantage of "norther" and made a 90nm passage in about 12 hours. It was not only quick, but it was also very comfortable. Its not unusual to see 10+ kts under the right conditions.

Phillip, have a great cruise and let us know how it worked out. One of these days, we should compare notes on fitting out our boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	craigslist.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	3559  

Old 12-05-2008, 22:53   #18

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Cruising for us is all about seeing new places and meeting new people.
I personally think it is all too easy to only spend time on the sea and as a result - not see very much of the peoples and lands one can visit. So for us, unless we know we've got to get to 'x' inside 'y' days, we 'plan' to spend more than a day at most places we stop. It allows us to get off the boat and visit further inland - sometimes staying away overnight.
JOHN
Old 13-05-2008, 07:56   #19

Boat: privilege 37
thank you all so far
intresting coments from all
it would seem that we will proberly be one of the slow ones as we do not expect to get far but want to have plenty of time to explore shore side. we have a pilot of east coast rivers to take us as far as lowerstoff. and no plans beond that.
Old 13-05-2008, 08:45   #20

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Dear Phillip

Sorry for the Scottish Tourist Board thing....

Well you will have the pleasure of introducing the Forum to places such Burnam on Crouch,North and south Fambridge,Foulness,heybridge and Maylandsea, Thorn Fleet,Goldhanger Wivinghoe Foulness etc. Its a lovely area which you can explore for years I suppose.

How far into the Broads will you attempt?

Regards

Alan
Old 14-05-2008, 05:24   #21

Boat: privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglooff View Post
Dear Phillip

Sorry for the Scottish Tourist Board thing....

Well you will have the pleasure of introducing the Forum to places such Burnam on Crouch,North and south Fambridge,Foulness,heybridge and Maylandsea, Thorn Fleet,Goldhanger Wivinghoe Foulness etc. Its a lovely area which you can explore for years I suppose.

How far into the Broads will you attempt?

Regards

Alan
supose it depends on tide and access bridges etc.
but as far as we can go i guess.
thats the beauty of no plans.!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: