Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 21-03-2012, 11:12   #3031

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
My point being is that anyone who is cruising on 500 a month and taking all those subsidies from the government is not cruising on 500 a month.
second that!
Old 21-03-2012, 11:25   #3032

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

third that!
Old 21-03-2012, 12:49   #3033
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Going on the government dole seems to go against the whole ethos of self-reliance and personal responsibility, which seemed to me to come through pretty strongly in the posts of a lot of folks on this thread.
Old 21-03-2012, 13:01   #3034

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
Actually he said "You also qualify for Medicaid sufficient to cover your Medicare Part B premium" Medicaid is an entitlement. Don't get me started on medicare. Bernie Madoff went to prison for the exact same thing.

My point being is that anyone who is cruising on 500 a month and taking all those subsidies from the government is not cruising on 500 a month.

Brad

Kinda blows the 500 figure out a little eh?

I am tired of getting paid "squat" for Medicaid patients.

What a bunch of BS this entitlement society is now.
Old 21-03-2012, 13:21   #3035

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Kinda blows the 500 figure out a little eh?

I am tired of getting paid "squat" for Medicaid patients.

What a bunch of BS this entitlement society is now.
Maybe you should lower your rates so normal people can actually afford to pay you out of their pocket? But thats not how it works is it? You expect only people that make more than $30k a year to be worthy of your services. I get it...

I've been working my entire adult life and still can't afford a single doctors visit.
I don't collect money from the government, never have. Except for unemployment once, which I gladly used to travel around FL for almost a year living on $200 every two weeks

I pay for SS and income tax out of every paycheck I get, and have been doing so for the last 20 years. If I need help, I would definitely expect to receive it from my government. And I would use it however I felt like using it. Its MY money.

There is no way every person in the country can have a job. it's not possible. And there has to be some way for them to keep living in this consumerist society. It's not the individuals fault (atleast not all of them) that they are broke and need help. If you've ever been poor you would know this.
Old 21-03-2012, 13:36   #3036
CLOD

Boat: none

Sometimes I feel bad because I've worked hard and done well, and enjoyed myself while doing it. But then I get over it and am glad about it!
Old 21-03-2012, 15:28   #3037
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

the system is there to be used,it in turn will use you if given half a chance

think of it this way all those years indy has been off cruising he has been creating jobs for others,by not taking one away,!

go prisco!
Old 21-03-2012, 16:19   #3038
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post

There is no way every person in the country can have a job. it's not possible. And there has to be some way for them to keep living in this consumerist society. It's not the individuals fault (atleast not all of them) that they are broke and need help. If you've ever been poor you would know this.
To this point you are in some VERY good company.

Quoting Bertrand Russell from his essay "In Praise of Idleness."
In Praise of Idleness By Bertrand Russell

Quote:
The war showed conclusively that, by the scientific organization of production, it is possible to keep modern populations in fair comfort on a small part of the working capacity of the modern world. If, at the end of the war, the scientific organization, which had been created in order to liberate men for fighting and munition work, had been preserved, and the hours of the week had been cut down to four, all would have been well. Instead of that the old chaos was restored, those whose work was demanded were made to work long hours, and the rest were left to starve as unemployed. Why? Because work is a duty, and a man should not receive wages in proportion to what he has produced, but in proportion to his virtue as exemplified by his industry.
Quote:
what will happen when the point has been reached where everybody could be comfortable without working long hours?

In the West, we have various ways of dealing with this problem. We have no attempt at economic justice, so that a large proportion of the total produce goes to a small minority of the population, many of whom do no work at all. Owing to the absence of any central control over production, we produce hosts of things that are not wanted. We keep a large percentage of the working population idle, because we can dispense with their labor by making the others overwork.

When all these methods prove inadequate, we have a war: we cause a number of people to manufacture high explosives, and a number of others to explode them, as if we were children who had just discovered fireworks. By a combination of all these devices we manage, though with difficulty, to keep alive the notion that a great deal of severe manual work must be the lot of the average man.
This was written in 1933 and the "war" he is talking about we call WWI. That his observations are true was proved by Speer during WWII when, in the face of massive bombardment and the stripping of all able bodied men to the front he increased production.

The obvious follow on quote to the above is from "The Wind in the Willows":

Quote:
Ratty: If you believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing, half so worth doing as - simply messing around in boats!
Old 21-03-2012, 16:30   #3039
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Britain just announced that raxpayers are going to receive an accounting pound by pound where their tax money is being spent in an attempt to raise awareness of entitlements.

I have no problem helping those that can't work. It is annoying to subsidize those that wont work.
Old 21-03-2012, 16:32   #3040
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

“And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.

So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country
Old 21-03-2012, 17:01   #3041
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Britain just announced that raxpayers are going to receive an accounting pound by pound where their tax money is being spent in an attempt to raise awareness of entitlements.

I have no problem helping those that can't work. It is annoying to subsidize those that wont work.
I would love to engage you on this topic but I fear we would drift into dangerous waters and get the thread in moderator trouble.

Not all of those toiling for the greater good are achieving their goal.

Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing at all.

Or go sailing!! Which is, after all, very worthwhile even if the only soul you heal is your own.

Old 21-03-2012, 17:13   #3042
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: From Working to Cruising & Back Again.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
Now that we are making the transition from world wide cruising back
to a settled working life, dealing with the changes involved, I'm reminded of those necessary to do the reverse.

In the settled life:

1. House or Apt expenses ( mortgage/rent, utilities, insurance, taxes )
2. Vehicle expenses ( licensing, fuel, repairs, taxes, insurance )
3. Entertainment ( meals out, shows, movies, satTV, cellular, drinks out )
4. Food ( groceries, meats, detergents, soap, etc )
5. Outfitting ( spares, repairs )
6. Dockage ( mooring, YC, slip )
7. Health ( insurance, drugs, Dr. )
8. Job ( clothes, commuting, supplies )
I think you will find this thread helpful:-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ule-78615.html

Old 21-03-2012, 18:14   #3043

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Maybe you should lower your rates so normal people can actually afford to pay you out of their pocket? But thats not how it works is it? You expect only people that make more than $30k a year to be worthy of your services. I get it...

I've been working my entire adult life and still can't afford a single doctors visit.
I don't collect money from the government, never have. Except for unemployment once, which I gladly used to travel around FL for almost a year living on $200 every two weeks

I pay for SS and income tax out of every paycheck I get, and have been doing so for the last 20 years. If I need help, I would definitely expect to receive it from my government. And I would use it however I felt like using it. Its MY money.

Yea, I'm sorry.

I do Medicaid anyway even though I don't have to because it is more like what I call charity. I do my part. If you need a breast reduction I will assist on the procedure for you too.

By the way.

I have never received any subsidies of any kind. Even when I had no work.

I have been poor......more than once.

I have been hungry too. If you have been hungry (really hungry) then you know it is a whole different ball game, right?

I don't think hungry people should be given Doritos and Coke though.

I also know the rules around here and realize it is getting too far off so maybe I will refrain from here on.
Old 21-03-2012, 18:49   #3044

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yea, I'm sorry.

I do Medicaid anyway even though I don't have to because it is more like what I call charity. I do my part. If you need a breast reduction I will assist on the procedure for you too.

By the way.

I have never received any subsidies of any kind. Even when I had no work.

I have been poor......more than once.

I have been hungry too. If you have been hungry (really hungry) then you know it is a whole different ball game, right?

I don't think hungry people should be given Doritos and Coke though.

I also know the rules around here and realize it is getting too far off so maybe I will refrain from here on.

Sorry but hungry people aren't being given doritos and coke. They are given the opportunity to make their own choices. It's their (limited) choice what type of food they eat, or which stores they shop at, or what style clothes they wear, etc.. Not yours, or the governments. Or Maybe we should setup a big camp where all the poor people can live and be fed what we want them to eat and get the only the medicine we decide they should have, and force them to work all the jobs we don't want to do ourselves...

Or we could just forget how they all got there to begin with, and put the blame on them.

Poor people do not choose to be poor. They do not choose to grow up in the environments they grew up in. They do not choose to get sick from eating the trash they've been taught to eat. I don't believe for one second that someone who can't understand that has ever been poor.

This may come as a shock to some people on this forum, but there are actually poor people who make good choices in life. And some of them may want to go cruising one day...That is exactly what this thread is for (IMO). It's not meant for people with retirement funds or real estate incomes that want to learn how to save a few more pennies so they can keep their boat nice and shiney and extend their vacation a little longer.
(and yes I know this thread is for anybody, I'm just making a point)
Old 21-03-2012, 19:32   #3045

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
“And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.

Funny i thought it was the first amendment.

Tags
cruising