Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 29-02-2012, 03:51   #2926

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

For the cheap access to the Verizon network check out PagePlus. (Get it via Kittywireless.com -- a PagePlus sales agent who has the same prices but better customer service than PP directly.)

You get the whole Verizon network for 4 cents a minute on phone calls, 5 cents per text, and $1 per MB of 3G data. That's expensive for data, so you just need to be careful how you use it. I keep my data turned off on my phone till I need it; then I flick on data, check my e-mail, and flick it off. Usually costs about 5 or 10 cents per email check. Extensive web browsing would probably kill me, though. Streaming video definitely would bankrupt me. . . . For web browsing use Opera Mini, which strips all sites down to the bare minimum data needed.

I don't do much talking on my phone, nor do I often need 3G data because wifi can be had in so many places. So I pay on average about $7 a month for cell service.

PagePlus has other plans that bundle minutes and texts and data, like:
$12 a month for 250 minutes, 250 texts, 10MB data with overage at 20 cents per MB.
$30 a month for 1200 minutes, 3000 texts, 100 MB data, with overage at 10 cents per MB.

Here are all the plans:
Page Plus Plans Overview

Cheapskate's dream.
Old 29-02-2012, 04:12   #2927

Speaking of Verizon, I paid my bill with a debit card last month at a store location. Got a robo call saying payment had not been received and service would be cut off. I called them. They said I would have to have my bank fax them the payment information. Being rather ticked, I did that. They said it would take about 4 days to act on it. Got anouther call about termination and I called them back and they siad it would be extended. Then I got my bank statement a week later and they had deposited my payment back to my account! Now, I get another call and I called them back. They wanted to charge me late fees along with the payment due. I'm going over there today and I'm thinking of handing them my bill for my time in connection with the trouble they caused.....

I got my first bag phone from that store in '88 I believe, every year it seems tobe something with them, cramming services, changing coverage or something.....Good luck!
Old 29-02-2012, 05:51   #2928

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Sage advice indeed ().

FWIW, one thing I have taken from this thread is that it takes a certain type of person to undertake such a mission and they need to be determined / singleminded / focused / a bit mental - the downside of having this ability is that may not mix well with groups. or any people .
definitely. It's all about the person and has nothing to do with the money or the boat.

It has much to do with experience. If anyone thinks they're just gonna quit their dayjob and become a singlehander capable of living on $500/mo (or less) travelling the world, they're kidding themselves. I've had a lot of practice for this type of lifestyle that goes as far back as I can remember and I'm 100% positive I wouldn't be able to do it if I had lived a 'normal' life.

Thats why it pisses me off whenever someone shows up on this thread and says it can't be done. Those people don't understand, just because YOU can't do it, doesn't mean I can't Money means very little to me and I'm quit capable of living without it at all.

I do occasionally require companionship and friendship, which is the only reason I'm not living on the side of a mountain somewhere wearing bearskin clothes.
Old 29-02-2012, 06:19   #2929

Boat: Tartan 30

I realize that sounds a bit hypocritical of me because I generally argue that anyone can make it happen. I believe there's a lot of people that can make it work, but there's many who can't. What I encourage is that everyone who thinks they can, or wants to, should go out and give it a try. You might surprise yourself, or you might just give up and go back work What's important to me is that people atleast try. If you have this little dream you'll never be satisfied with your life if you allow it to go unfulfilled. Either do it now with what little funds you're capable of generating and find out what it's like for you, or save up, make it a retirement plan, and do it the 'right' way. Just pray you don't die prematurely before you get a chance to spend all that money.
Old 29-02-2012, 06:28   #2930

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
definitely. It's all about the person and has nothing to do with the money or the boat.

It has much to do with experience. If anyone thinks they're just gonna quit their dayjob and become a singlehander capable of living on $500/mo (or less) travelling the world, they're kidding themselves. I've had a lot of practice for this type of lifestyle that goes as far back as I can remember and I'm 100% positive I wouldn't be able to do it if I had lived a 'normal' life.

Thats why it pisses me off whenever someone shows up on this thread and says it can't be done. Those people don't understand, just because YOU can't do it, doesn't mean I can't Money means very little to me and I'm quit capable of living without it at all.

I do occasionally require companionship and friendship, which is the only reason I'm not living on the side of a mountain somewhere wearing bearskin clothes.
i total agree with the view that its about the individual. A lot of this thread has been about a forumular that can be applied. Some one else said that if you can not live without some thing on land then you can not cruise without it. As soon as anyone says "i would have to give up ... " then they can not cruise on what ever budget they are talking about.

If you are the sort of person who likes to be self reliant and has a DIY mentality on land then you chance of sucessful cruising on a lower budget becomes more realistic.
Old 29-02-2012, 10:05   #2931

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Well, I have not read all 2927 posts, sorry

My problem would be staying entertained.

I'm beginning to see what accounts there are, a dollar amount to maintenance and expenditures that are out there.......great thread!

I see I need to dump stuff, my taxes, insurance, cigs and beer are more than this budget....I need to stop smoking anyway. caugh, caugh..

I'd like to see the reciepts too!

Fuel costs don't seem to be much for most of you, how is that going to change this summer at probably $6.00+ a gal at a marina? Poor trawler guys, but hey, anyone with a newer Nordhaven or Egg can probably afford it anyway!

I have read that the best way to go is without gadgets, no A/C, no freezer, no hot water heaters and pressurized plumbing....that keeping it simple keeps costs way down.

That's where I get scared sorta.....so I'm looking for simple systems, maybe having a gen set for emergencies when temps get to 99 degrees. I do understand moving for better weather, but there are limits as New Yorkers were cooking last summer!!

Is buying ice all the time really better than running a gen set a couple hours a day and keeping the door closed on the fridge?

I can do solar showers, any other ways to save money on board in the head?

Laundramats are expensive, I used one for a few months at the lake and was floored at a buck and a half for a washer and dollar for about 20 minutes of drying. Then I put in a washer and dryer....

I'd really like to see what you guys eat without a fridge, an ice chest is like camping all the time, buy meat every couple days kinda thing, and that means cutting down on cruising time, heading back in for the grocery stores.....right? Got any tricks there?

I'm sure glad to see a bunch of you really have a great life on such a budget, if I can do that I'd be able to save more!

BTW, my liveaboard experience on a barge houseboat had a residential stove and fridge, a cooler under the bar and a hot water heater, so it just wasn't the same thing....

BTW2, why can't you make an achor at a steel fab shop from scrap?

It could die now, I'm a thread killer!

1. Need entertainment then get off your boat and in with the locals.But your right dump the smokes and the the drinking. At least drink in moderation. Don't want you rolling into me because you didn't set your anchor right when you pulled into the anchorage Drunk.
2. Taxes and insurance are not needed, wanted, or optional, get rid of the boat payment before you leave. Unless your in a marina and that is off limits on 500 a month.
3. fuel is propane mainly. It's called SAILING for a reason.
4. you are correct gadgets keep the the costs up in maintenance, fuel, energy, and repairs. The less you have the better, but if you want a fridge then get one but keep the make and model in mind. Some are a lot better then others.
5. solar showers are great and jumping in the water around your boat is good too really cools you off. Plus you can clean the bottom while your down there.
6. Buy a washer that is manual and hang the clothes on the life lines. Use salt water and rinse with fresh, get some cloths pins like mom had.
7. buy groceries in bulk and store them, Use citric juice and vinegar to pickle things, Get air tight bags and a vacume storage machine to keep things fresh. Wash your vegi's in water with a touch of bleach before storing, buy eggs from the farmer instead of the grocery store. Then get your meat where the locals go and don't be afraid to ask them where to go. DOJ say's you are more then likely a bit of a introvert to sail. I disagree, Mark J isn't, I don't think I am, And I don't think DOJ is either. Ask and Ye shall receive, but if you don't ask no one knows your looking. Right!
8. Want to save more? Get a smaller boat.
9. Nice barge I bet, but not really meant to see the world in.
10. People have and do make their own anchors and the land and sea is littered with the hulls of their boats. Steel is better used in a skyscraper then on the sea floor. Stick with galvanized or stainless steel.

Okay now you know a little more!
Old 29-02-2012, 10:14   #2932

Quote:
For the cheap access to the Verizon network check out PagePlus. (Get it via Kittywireless.com -- a PagePlus sales agent who has the same prices but better customer service than PP directly.)
Okay has anyone heard of Skype?

Well Microsoft is buying them to charge. But you can go to Ekiga and get the same thing free. Look for wifi and use it over a cup of coffee write your emails and make your calls to friends and family for free. Other then the cost of a cup of coffee. (Hint Hint STAY OUT OF STARBUCKS)
Or get access to the internet via laptop through cell towers not using a cell phone but laptop access alone for about 30.00 a month and get both unlimited for less. Laptops are the greatest thing ever for communication, navigation and information all over the world. It's quickly becoming close to free everywhere. Plugin and turn on.
Old 29-02-2012, 10:19   #2933

Nemo
You write the cook book and I'll buy one. I need to get a good galley cookbook but I haven't been able to find one at the local used book store.

One pan meals would be great. Hmmm! Is there a recipe thread on this site?

Gotta go!
Old 29-02-2012, 10:27   #2934

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

Quote:
Have you tried to find a companion who would like to live on the side of a mountain wearing bearskin clothes?
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Old 29-02-2012, 12:34   #2935

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
1. DOJ say's you are more then likely a bit of a introvert to sail. I disagree, Mark J isn't, I don't think I am, And I don't think DOJ is either.
Okay now you know a little more!
I suspect that you may be right and wrong at the same time, depending if you are using the every day definition (shy) or the psychology definition (a person characterized by concern primarily with his or her own thoughts and feelings)

I think that DOJ is using the psychological defenition, just read any of his posts - he is speaking to his intended auidence, himself. Many introverts present an outgoing, even bombastic image as a way of keeping the irelevant (other people and the environment) away. This is a common defence/ coping stratagy that cause others to misinterpret, some thing that rarely concerns them. DOJ thinks a lot more than most give him credit for.

I would sugest that many cruisers are introverts, prehaps more than realize
Old 29-02-2012, 16:24   #2936

Boat: Able 50

Quote:

Something for which the bears are particularly grateful.
Old 29-02-2012, 16:55   #2937
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Oh yea, let's turn this into an anchor thread! How about we add guns too? All within the $500 budget of course.
don't forget chain vs rode, mono vs multi and while we're at it some thing to piss off the racers
Old 29-02-2012, 18:32   #2938

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
Have you tried to find a companion who would like to live on the side of a mountain wearing bearskin clothes?
If he does she should dress in buck skin not bear. Like mine does!

I hope the link works
Old 29-02-2012, 18:50   #2939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
How about a companion who would like to live on a boat wearing bare skin clothes
Old 29-02-2012, 22:39   #2940

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Okay has anyone heard of Skype?

Well Microsoft is buying them to charge. But you can go to Ekiga and get the same thing free. Look for wifi and use it over a cup of coffee write your emails and make your calls to friends and family for free. Other then the cost of a cup of coffee. (Hint Hint STAY OUT OF STARBUCKS)
Or get access to the internet via laptop through cell towers not using a cell phone but laptop access alone for about 30.00 a month and get both unlimited for less. Laptops are the greatest thing ever for communication, navigation and information all over the world. It's quickly becoming close to free everywhere. Plugin and turn on.

Skypes awesome, i got a little icon under my CF name, hit me up!!!!!!! lol
anyway, point, yeah ms bought em but they aint started charging yet, not sure if they ever will, just cgarge if you want to use the bells and whistles.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising