Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 15-12-2011, 18:57   #2446
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
GoPrisko - what year was it when you availed of all that free medical care overseas? I don't want to be argumentative but doctor and medical care is unlikely to be free anymore, at least where I live in Asia. Yes, self medication and treatment is cheaper as drugs cost a lot less. Hospitals and doctors may be cheaper due to lower insurance premiums and other burdens of the US health care system (dont want to start that debate at all)

Not all of us are 65 and can avail of medicare. In fact when most of us qualify it may not exist, If I read you post as "get creative" on medical care and loookmat options, I agree.

I am and will be fortunate to have good global medical insurance. Others, maybe not so. Others trying to make a $500 budget may have to treat major medical like boat insurance and go uncovered. In the spirit of $500 cruising compromises must be made. This is another compromise that $500 cruisers must evaluate.

Clearly taking care of the human machine and being as healthy as one can be though diet, exercise and lifestyle is a key factor. Obese, smoking, cruisers with chronic diseases need not apply for a $500 a month cruising budget.

Personally I think it would be foolish to set off to explore new vistas like that but have no plan for how to pay for medical emergencies. We all love sailing, but it is inherently dangerous. I know an experienced sailor who took one misstep and fell to the floor of his cabin, badly breaking his leg. Fortunately for him his cell phone was in his pants ... but it could happen anywhere, but especially in a rough sea.
Old 15-12-2011, 18:57   #2447

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Thought it was developed to be used on the battle field?
Old 15-12-2011, 18:58   #2448
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
This thread is for anyone, newbie or not, who wants to learn how to sail on less.

The first thing is you need a modest, simple boat. No engine, no frills

Go back to pp 28-37 and read the posts again.

INDY

I can live with no frills but I absolutely want an engine.
Old 15-12-2011, 19:13   #2449

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I'll second "familycruisers" #2439

- - Airline by J Sink has great hookahs and even better just the hoses - Diver Gear | Alternative Dive Gear Scuba | The Air Line Hookah by J. Sink
A 40 ft hose for US$101. Combine that with a simple regulator off eBay for US$60 -
*SHERWOOD**BRUT REGULATOR,w / DACOR GAUGE CONSOLE**VERY GOOD+ CONDITION | eBay

and you have the same kind of hookah I use and have used for 10 years. The only other thing you need is a used scuba tank which can be had from local dive shops or diving schools for about US$60 or from eBay again.
Luxfer Blue Aluminum Scuba Dive Tank 80 Cubic Foot 3000 PSI | eBay

Total US$221 plus shipping. That's a long way from $800-1500. For "Cruising on $500/mo" you need to be a little creative to find the stuff you need at better prices than retail.
Old 15-12-2011, 19:17   #2450
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy
If you're sailing in the tropics, you can use a minimalist dive setup. Just a tank, back plate, and regulator. No wetsuit, weight belts, BCD, etc...

Plenty of people scrub their bottoms without dive gear at all. (i've watched a boat neighbor do it atleast 3 times). It just takes longer, and yet another reason to have a smaller boat
Thanks for your advice and family cruisers advice. As you said, even in the US on craigslist about 800 bucks for gear. Yes you need minimal gear in the tropics, coupla hundred should be possible but not my experience here. I also need a place to store a tank if I had one. Used gear is not readily found here in Singapore and when it is, my boat bucks have been allocated for that month.

I know it is crazy but having lived in the tropics 30 years you'd think I had dive gear - LOL

And for the guy free diving on his boat, hat's off to aquaman. I would love to know how he does the keel. My boat is tiny and I kill myself just trying to get rope wrap off the prop. And that is three foot laterally and probably 3 feet down from the waterline.
Old 15-12-2011, 19:27   #2451
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail
I'll second "familycruisers" #2439

- - Airline by J Sink has great hookahs and even better just the hoses - Diver Gear | Alternative Dive Gear Scuba | The Air Line Hookah by J. Sink
A 40 ft hose for US$101. Combine that with a simple regulator off eBay for US$60 -
*SHERWOOD**BRUT REGULATOR,w / DACOR GAUGE CONSOLE**VERY GOOD+ CONDITION | eBay

and you have the same kind of hookah I use and have used for 10 years. The only other thing you need is a used scuba tank which can be had from local dive shops or diving schools for about US$60 or from eBay again.
Luxfer Blue Aluminum Scuba Dive Tank 80 Cubic Foot 3000 PSI | eBay

Total US$221 plus shipping. That's a long way from $800-1500. For "Cruising on $500/mo" you need to be a little creative to find the stuff you need at better prices than retail.
Thanks. That's great info. I've looked at that Airline stuff before. And you are right, if you price their stuff with 1st and 2nd stage you are already up to $336.

The tank is a problem. I'd love a 12v pump setup.

Do you use a weight belt? I probably carry a bit too much "floatation" but I can't get negative without ballast...
Old 15-12-2011, 19:37   #2452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
. . . I know an experienced sailor who took one misstep and fell to the floor of his cabin, badly breaking his leg. Fortunately for him his cell phone was in his pants ... but it could happen anywhere, but especially in a rough sea.
The spirit of cruising on $500/mo is what is necessary and how do you do it. Of course they will be lots of compromises and inferred qualifications. One of which is reasonably good health and the ability to avoid disasters and accidents as much as possible. "One hand for you and one hand for the ship."

- - In most of the cruising area outside the USA clinic medical services are free or very, very inexpensive. However, we got "International Medical Insurance (excludes the USA)" for under US$1500 per year to take care of major medical expenses. See: IMIS Online Services

- - But remember, when you are "out there" in the oceans in "rough sea" - you are on your own - no cell phone service, nobody to come out and rescue you in a short time frame. The mindset changes when cruising to be very careful and plan ahead both the safety systems of your boat and how you will operate the boat. You and only you are primarily responsible for your safety and survival.
Old 15-12-2011, 19:49   #2453

Quote:
. . . Do you use a weight belt? I probably carry a bit too much "floatation" but I can't get negative without ballast...
Didn't use to need one, used old zincs or other heavy stuff - but the years and too many "roti's" have not been kind to my body fat ratio and these days I need enough lead around my waist to keep a daysailboat upright.
- - More seriously, I do have "ankle weights" which are merely heavy fishing sinkers on a string inside a cloth covering and tied to my ankles. These keep me upright while underwater better than excessive lead around the waist.
- - I do wear "skins" which is a nylon body suit - no wet suit - rather than just swimming trunks as protection so that the little critters that you scrape off the bottom don't take up a new home on me.
Storm Black Lycra Dive Skin - Large
Old 15-12-2011, 19:55   #2454

Boat: Tartan 30

You could try one of Capt. Ron's methods...

Old 15-12-2011, 21:20   #2455

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
Thought it was developed to be used on the battle field?
It was neither. Like all great things, It was discovered by mistake
Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 15-12-2011, 22:28   #2456

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Don, this is the also the problem I have with this thread

The reason I keep trying to argue against not including the boat price is that I just can't wrap my head around anyone Choosing to live on $500 a month. Nobody wants to live/cruise on such a small budget. The people doing it are either A: fixed income folks who spent their life savings on a boat and no longer have the ability to save money (or atleast not easily), or B: people who already live on a small income and cannot afford to invest $25k in a boat to begin with.

Not many people are willing to live a minimalistic lifestyle if they aren't being forced to. So all these people that can afford to purchase nice boats and outfit them with nice gear do not belong in the $500 a month club IMO

The first group is the exception... They might have a pretty nice boat, but IMO, they made a big mistake they could have gone much, much, cheaper on the boat, and put some extra money away to prevent them from being Forced to live on $500 a month.

The second group, simply cannot afford to go the normal route of making a large initial investment, be it on the boat, or gear, or whatever. These are the people who require a smaller, cheaper, boat, with minimal gear and minimal expenses.

it was offtopic from the getgo, and it will continue to be as long as people insist that the boat itself and the preparation costs "don't count"
I would choose to live on under $500/month. I do now, even though I could spend a lot more (or a little on stuff like heating my house, getting someone to cut my hair, and internet access) But, I don't have expensive habits like drinking beer, coffee, soda, smoking, etc...

I'm not going to change my cheap lifestyle unless I have to. But, I would want a nice boat that has some comforts and is 'socially acceptable' to friends and family. It is a catch-22 though. If I spend money on a 34' catamaran, they would think I was crazy for spending 40% of my savings. Yet, if I buy a $10,000 boat (after electronics upgrades), they would think I was crazy for buying such a small boat. I could live on a smaller boat, and wouldn't need expensive foods. Yet, I like knowing that I have enough savings to buy food for months to come, and the rolling motion of a catamaran.

And it doesn't cost much to exercise by running on the beach, riding bikes on a bike trail, or swimming at the beach. I would also like to relax in a hammock and read some books or listen to music. I have a good DSLR camera and need to spend more time post processing photos, it doesn't cost very much now that I spent a lot of money 2 years ago. Camping on some remote island would be fun, as would just sailing around once you get somewhere. I would use my snorkel for the first year, but might look into spending some money on a hookah system and sun screen.
Old 15-12-2011, 23:04   #2457

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

You know I have slapped on just about everything on my boat. Had it professionally done, ground down to gelcoat, paid $200, $300 a gallon paid $50 for buckets full. Honestly it all seems to be the same.

My boat floats high aand no pox. I guess I will clean when I need to hopefully in some nice warm place, instead in a gale with 100k winds and driving rain.
Old 16-12-2011, 01:41   #2458

Boat: Hardin Seawolf 44'

I've got a Hookamax system and I love it. I used to breath hold my Coronado 25' but when I upgraded to a Seawolf 44 it took all day. Besides, a lot of people drown themselves breath holding. I've been diving for the Navy for 22 years, with my Hooka I break nearly all the rules but only being 6 feet down makes it seem more safe to me. I put some zincs in an old fanny pack, grab a knife(old habits die hard), fins and mask and then go to work. The rig needed a little time to break itself in, the first 2 times I used it I was able to breath it empty in about 30 breaths. Now I can stay down there for an hour without issues. I've cleaned my bottom 6 times so far, that's about $300 in San Diego. I also recovered an anchor for someone and got a 12 pack for doing it. To me it's totally with the money.
I've discussed this with other divers and there is a debate whether tanks would be better. I keep a single on board for emergencies. Some folks think it would be easy to get your jugs jammed by a passing dive boat or each time you pull in. My 12V system is always ready and maintenance free. To me it's kind of like having a sewing machine onboard, there is the initial expense but it pays for itself in a fairly short period of time.
Old 16-12-2011, 02:20   #2459

Boat: Duncanson 37

Ok after all I have read on this post I have decided budget my cruising on $1000 per month @ $12,000 per year thats still cheap living.I will let you know how it goes in 12 month!
Old 16-12-2011, 03:37   #2460
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
...Do you use a weight belt? I probably carry a bit too much "floatation" but I can't get negative without ballast...
Dan,

I used one of these to keep myself underwater...

I found that if I did it monthly (or so), I could keep my hull clean just by free-diving on it and lightly rubbing with a cotton sock over one hand. Not too much grew on the Interlux Micron 66, so even scrubbing the keel wasn't much of an effort. The algae that grows along the waterline, especially on the "sunny" side of the boat needed scraping with a plastic putty knife.

Tags
cruising