Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 22-11-2011, 12:15   #2191

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
As this thread is supposed to be on the actual "cruising budget" (not the cost of the vessel), the only reason a multihull owner might have problems sticking to that budget is because someone that can afford the cost of a multihull would be used to a fancier lifestyle.
Sure. Like this.

There have been a lot of budget cruisers who have done it this way. To write them off is a bit one eyed.
You might as well close this thread to 95% of mono sailors too.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 22-11-2011, 12:19   #2192

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Or a triple keel

Ballast in the centre - wing keels either solid, or are the water tanks.....like mine (first time I had ever heard of that idea - didn't seem to catch on ).

Your boat always makes me smile... it reminds me of a seal basking in the sun, with all those 'flippers' lying around...

Old 22-11-2011, 12:20   #2193

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
what happens when you run out of water?

The picture shows the answer ROFL

Old 22-11-2011, 13:18   #2194

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
As this thread is supposed to be on the actual "cruising budget" (not the cost of the vessel), the only reason a multihull owner might have problems sticking to that budget is because someone that can afford the cost of a multihull would be used to a fancier lifestyle.
I'm guessing you REALLY want a cat, but can't offord one. I was in a similar position so I built mine.

Anyway, we met a family of 4 living on a little Wharram and having a ball. Certainly doing it on a tight budget, and doing it well. They spent a fair proportion of their time fishing, (line and spear) and crabbing. Also collecting coconuts and other "bush tucker".
Old 22-11-2011, 13:45   #2195
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'm guessing you REALLY want a cat, but can't offord one. I was in a similar position so I built mine.

Anyway, we met a family of 4 living on a little Wharram and having a ball. Certainly doing it on a tight budget, and doing it well. They spent a fair proportion of their time fishing, (line and spear) and crabbing. Also collecting coconuts and other "bush tucker".
I wishe I could afford a new 50' cat with all the bells and whistles.....I'd buy a 65' mono schooner and have money left over for crusing.
Actually I am very happy with the mono I have that was designed 75 years ago....I'm old school I like what I have....sail what you are happiest with, that is what it is all about.
Old 22-11-2011, 13:59   #2196
CLOD

Boat: none

I think the real answer to cruising on $500 is OOPB*. Based a lot on the crew available posting it seems lots of of people have discovered OOPB. As there are a great many of OOPBs out there one should be able to cruise on an endless journey to all ends of the world on well less than $500/mo. Some OOPB sailors have mastered the concept to such a high level that cruising costs them nothing and in fact they make a profit from it. The OOPB concept covers monos, multis, super yacths, and even power vessels.

*On Other People's Boats
Old 22-11-2011, 14:38   #2197

We cruise more cheaply on our cat than we did on our mono. Because we sail more, motor less.

On the old boat we used 220 litres of diesel going from Sydney-Gold Coast.

On this boat we used far less than that doing Gold Coast - Sydney and back.

The NSW coast can require a lot of motoring if your boat doesn't sail in light conditions. You have to make bar crossings on the right tide, so there are "deadlines" of a sort to meet. And you want fairly light conditions so the bar crossings will be safe.
Old 22-11-2011, 15:42   #2198

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
44Cat -- I admit that I would love to have a good-sized cruising catamaran, but can't afford it right now. I'm looking out about 10 years, when my wife and I might get to quasi-retire. In the meantime I'm happy cruising our oddball homebuilt 31' shallow-draft mono.
So I'm curious . . . what design did you build? How long did it take you? And how much do you figure you saved over buying an already built cat?
I've been figuring that buying an older used cat and fixing her up would be my only possible path.
Old 22-11-2011, 15:46   #2199

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
. . . But what I really need are a way to buy things on the cheap. For instance
[1] Is it cheaper to make your own wind vane steering system or buy one ready made? I am thinking a storm sail with pulleys instead of a wind vane on the stern. This to me is the cheapest and best way to go if you can balance the boat.

[2] What about the best place to get a water filter. (Which I need now)

[3] Most durable and cost effective solar system. . .

[1] I would not recommend trying to make your own wind vane steering - but they are available very cheap from boat surplus stores and boat graveyards (abandoned boats in boatyards, etc.)

[2] Best place for a water filter is Home Depot. Get a simple 9" canister for $10; then a charcoal filter - about $10 each; and go to the plumbing section and get some fittings to screw into the top that accept garden hose fittings. On the outflow side I just got a hose fitting and attached a 3 ft piece of rubber hose to it to stick into the tank when filling.

[3] There is nothing cost effective about solar PV systems. They simply make electricity when you are not running the engine and the sun is shinning. They are not cost effective given the fact that the sun only really effective shines for about 5 to 6 hours per day (unless you put tilting mechanisms on the panels) and there are a lot of cloudy days.

However, they come in handy when you have to leave the boat for a period of time and want to keep the batteries topped up. Solar PV systems are big bucks anyway you look at it. A little Honda EU2000i is probably more cost effective given that it also makes 120VAC which can be used for power tools and other short term AC items.

Among the many places to get solar PV stuff here are two favorites:
Solar Electric Power Systems For On & Off Grid

Solar Panels As Low As 98¢ Per Watt
Old 23-11-2011, 09:18   #2200

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Sure. Like this.

There have been a lot of budget cruisers who have done it this way. To write them off is a bit one eyed.
You might as well close this thread to 95% of mono sailors too.
The only thing I have against this boat is there's no place to get out of the rain.
Old 23-11-2011, 09:30   #2201

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
+1

Plenty of threads on those. and Mr Google

The approach I have been taking with "The great DOJ refurb project" is to minimise future expense (no idea if I will ever go on any extended cruising - am just tight ):-

a) if it doesn't exist, it can't go wrong
b) if I can't fix it - with a hammer - it don't stay on.

FWIW, today I got the exact bit of wood (thin plywood) I was after to repair some headlining in the aft cabin (not the top of my "To do list" - but a freebie opportunity too good to miss).......the "cost" was that it came as part of a Chest of Drawers and a Dressing table - both in solid pine (looked way tatty though)........spent half the day dissassembling and generally faffing around .

My garage (workshop sounds a bit grander than the reality ) now has a lot more drawer storage ......plus I have some spare solid pine drawers (for a yet unknown project ) and some nice(ish) pine.

If I had been working, the same time spent could have bought me a Chartplotter (a cheap one ).......but where would the fun be in that??!

I mention the above because IME getting things cheap (or free) is largely about being in the right place at the right time - and folk knowing you are a "recycler" helps. Plus knowing what you want well in advance of actually needing.....and having the cash / time to seize the moment.

Speaking the local lingo will probably save someone more money than anything else - and add to the fun! (BTW me just speaks slowly - in English ).

+1

I have been getting materials for the boat here and there on the cheap or free for a while now. I gained about 25 ft of 3/4 pvc to mount under the cockpit to run wiring for the lights and antenna through. All for free as well as 1 1/4 thin walled pvc for the gravity tank system I have decided to put in for the new head. Still need to find a good 10 or 12 gallon tank. The head itself will be a new jabsco for 150.00 plus a couple of rebuild kits. This way I can use as little sanitation hose as necessary.
You have a garage I keep mine at my shop I work out of. But it is still in the way. I just got through making the boards and rebuilding the companion way entrance. I used Ace Spar Varnish instead of Silkens.
Silkens = 36.00 Ace Spar Varnish = 16.00 and according to practical sailor magazine is a good buy. We will see though.

I keep a stash of cash on hand at all times specifically for great deals. If I come across an engine for less then a grand I have the stash to but it. Or a solar system for say 400 I can jump on it. Having the stash is the secret to being able to buy things on the cheap.
Old 23-11-2011, 10:51   #2202

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651

The only thing I have against this boat is there's no place to get out of the rain.
Love a Wharram! Plenty of room in the two hulls to get out of the rain. Great setup for the tropics with all that deck space.
Old 23-11-2011, 12:41   #2203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
44Cat -- I admit that I would love to have a good-sized cruising catamaran, but can't afford it right now. I'm looking out about 10 years, when my wife and I might get to quasi-retire. In the meantime I'm happy cruising our oddball homebuilt 31' shallow-draft mono.
So I'm curious . . . what design did you build? How long did it take you? And how much do you figure you saved over buying an already built cat?
I've been figuring that buying an older used cat and fixing her up would be my only possible path.
I built an Oram 44C. Took 4 years. How much I saved is harder to say - you really can't buy boats like these as production boats, so you'd have to compare to a custom build which would be very expensive. But they would get a nicer finish...

Looking at similar boats for sale second-hand, I'd estimate I probably saved around $200k. But even then comparing is tricky - I got a brand new boat, while the ones I'm comparing to aren't.

Building your own isn't the cheapest way to get into a boat. But it's the cheapest way to get into a NEW boat.

If you're interested, there's a few photo's here: Member Galleries - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
Old 23-11-2011, 12:53   #2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
[3] There is nothing cost effective about solar PV systems. They simply make electricity when you are not running the engine and the sun is shinning. They are not cost effective given the fact that the sun only really effective shines for about 5 to 6 hours per day (unless you put tilting mechanisms on the panels) and there are a lot of cloudy days.

However, they come in handy when you have to leave the boat for a period of time and want to keep the batteries topped up. Solar PV systems are big bucks anyway you look at it. A little Honda EU2000i is probably more cost effective given that it also makes 120VAC which can be used for power tools and other short term AC items.

Among the many places to get solar PV stuff here are two favorites:
Solar Electric Power Systems For On & Off Grid

Solar Panels As Low As 98¢ Per Watt
Agree the solar is expensive electricity. But after the initial outlay it's good value. About 80% of the time we run our boat, including breadmaker and watermaker, completely on solar power.

For most people's needs a 1000 watt inverter genny would be enough. Lighter and cheaper too. You can run a 60 amp bettery charger from one.
Old 23-11-2011, 13:23   #2205

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
If you're interested, there's a few photo's here: Member Galleries - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
Holy skiff! That's a huge project and you did a beautiful job. What a boat. My hat is off to you.

I spent two years on our mono, and I know how hard it is to get those smooth shiny surfaces. (We have no smooth shiny surfaces. . . .)

I was exhausted when I finally finished our boat and swore I would never again build a big boat. But like running marathons or giving birth (I'm told), that crazy desire starts to flicker again after a while.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising