Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 11:15   #1291
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
Or sail slowly downwind, pick your spot and kick the anchor ove, keep sailing, when the anchor sets you will spin like a top head to wind, drop sails.
I don't recommend sailing downwind to the anchoring spot because it is tough to spill wind from the sails... unless you do so under staysail or jib. In that case, given your headsail sheets pass through fairleads and the bitter ends of your sheets are figure-eighted(terminated with a figure-eight stopper knot), put the rudder hard over just as you reach your desired spot, saunter forward and drop the hook. You don't have to worry about the sheets fouling anything because they can't run overboard due to being stoppered and having to pass through a fairlead, whether it be a bullseye or a block. Either is sufficient to stop the bitter end going overboard into mischief.

You won't need to ease sheets because on a down wind leg they are already eased. You won't have the sail on the deck in the way, because it will still be hanked on. You won't have drive from the sail because it will be flogging gently due to the eased sheets.

All you need do is pay out sufficient rode for the depth of the chosen spot.

With all chain use 15m (50ft) in depths less than 5m(16ft) and 3 X the depth for deeper depths. With nylon the ratio is 7X depth. If you use a 44# bruce, help your anchor bite in difficult bottoms by grinding the side flukes to a chisel point. So modified, the bruce will dig through crust and turtle grass. This is something you cannot do to a CQR, and those anchors are limited to mud and bare sand bottoms.

Much has been said regarding setting the anchor immediately. Given sufficient anchor weight and a reasonable bottom, it is actually better to let the wind work the anchor into the bottom. Bruce Van Sant in particular, preferred this method.

INDY
Old 14-03-2011, 18:33   #1292

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Went looking for halyards today. I think I'm just gonna get a roll of three braid 3/8 polyester line from ebay. I can get a roll of 600 ft if I want for less then .50 cents a foot. And 600 ft is more then enough for the life of the boat.
West Marine wants over $2.00 a ft for 3/8 New England rope. That's just crazy to me.
Anyone ever use polypropylene for sheets?
Old 14-03-2011, 18:46   #1293
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Went looking for halyards today. I think I'm just gonna get a roll of three braid 3/8 polyester line from ebay. I can get a roll of 600 ft if I want for less then .50 cents a foot. And 600 ft is more then enough for the life of the boat.
West Marine wants over $2.00 a ft for 3/8 New England rope. That's just crazy to me.
Anyone ever use polypropylene for sheets?
get 500 ft it will soon stretch to 600.......
Old 14-03-2011, 18:50   #1294

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Most everyone uses double braid polyester for halyards, Cap. You live in boat world. Go shopping. Polyester is Dacron. Most use a different color scheme for individual lines.
Old 14-03-2011, 19:04   #1295

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Many great home brew kits and accessories available in the US. You can brew and vint for personal use almost any volume you can swill. Sale is not legal but I'm sure trade would fall under radar. Its not what you do - its what you get caught doing.
Old 15-03-2011, 05:33   #1296

So true "Its not what you do - its what you get caught doing".

I retired from the USAF 10 years ago. Due to commitments we have few more years before we can begin cruising. I am not sure of the plans yet but I know we will have only my pension to live on. This thread has been both informational and entertaining. Thanks.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:05   #1297
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
... Polyester is Dacron ...
FWIW: Dacron, Terylene, and Mylar are all trademark brand names for a Polyester fibre. Hence Dacron is polyester; but polyester could be many things other than Du Pont's Dacron.
Naming an invention actually involves developing at least two names. One name is the generic name. The other name is the brand name or trademark.

Old 15-03-2011, 06:11   #1298
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
...Anyone ever use polypropylene for sheets?
Don't even think about using polypropylene! About the only thing it's good for on a boat is a floating dinghy painter or a rescue throw-rope.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:54   #1299

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
. . . I am not sure of the plans yet but I know we will have only my pension to live on. This thread has been both informational and entertaining. Thanks.
Actually, I believe there is more value in this thread than just "minimalist budget" cruising below a target of $500/mo. No matter how much money you have to do your cruising, wasting some of it takes away from what is available to make the cruising experience better and more joyful. Using the guidelines in this thread for boats and equipment you can evaluate whether you really need that fancy do-hickey or marvelous new "aid" on your boat.
- - Long term cruising is about - IMHO - entering and living in an environment which is peaceful and devoid of needless hassles and artificially generated stress. The more non-useful "junk" you have on the boat the more time and stress is required to keep and maintain it. And those resources could be better allocated to increasing the enjoyment of wherever you happen to be located in the cruising world.
- - Just like those "shopping channel" kitchen aids to peel an apple which cost $25 - a good sharp paring knife is all you really need. And that $25 could be better utilized touring or enjoying a unique experience on the island or place you are visiting.
- - So I would suggest making use of the "basics" of minimalist budget cruising to help the more affluent cruiser to decide what is really worth getting for your boat and what is really just a waste of money better spent elsewhere.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:56   #1300

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW: Dacron, Terylene, and Mylar are all trademark brand names for a Polyester fibre. Hence Dacron is polyester; but polyester could be many things other than Du Pont's Dacron.
Naming an invention actually involves developing at least two names. One name is the generic name. The other name is the brand name or trademark.
Right as usual Gord. I was trying to keep it simple for the new halyard buyer. He should xerox the above before going shopping.
Old 15-03-2011, 15:21   #1301

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

For lines on the 'less expensive' - check for roll ends. Our ship store at Torresens in Muskegon and even the West Marine suppliers sell the odd tails of lines for a nice savings over normal price. Boat US used to sell all tails by the pound from a drum. Also, you will only try polypropylene line on a winch once. It is self-lubricating and won't work worth a crap in addition to all its other incompatable faults. Use proper lines as the winches were designed for and avoid the oops disasters that may result in personal injury and other issues.
Old 15-03-2011, 15:36   #1302

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Actually, I believe there is more value in this thread than just "minimalist budget" cruising below a target of $500/mo. No matter how much money you have to do your cruising, wasting some of it takes away from what is available to make the cruising experience better and more joyful. Using the guidelines in this thread for boats and equipment you can evaluate whether you really need that fancy do-hickey or marvelous new "aid" on your boat.
- - Long term cruising is about - IMHO - entering and living in an environment which is peaceful and devoid of needless hassles and artificially generated stress. The more non-useful "junk" you have on the boat the more time and stress is required to keep and maintain it. And those resources could be better allocated to increasing the enjoyment of wherever you happen to be located in the cruising world.
- - Just like those "shopping channel" kitchen aids to peel an apple which cost $25 - a good sharp paring knife is all you really need. And that $25 could be better utilized touring or enjoying a unique experience on the island or place you are visiting.
- - So I would suggest making use of the "basics" of minimalist budget cruising to help the more affluent cruiser to decide what is really worth getting for your boat and what is really just a waste of money better spent elsewhere.

Osirissail, you make a very good point and I also believe many would be using this thread in this manner.

cheers
Old 15-03-2011, 15:50   #1303

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Most everyone uses double braid polyester for halyards, Cap. You live in boat world. Go shopping. Polyester is Dacron. Most use a different color scheme for individual lines.
CWC 347040 Polyester Double Braid Rope, 600' Length, 3/8" Diameter

$160 for 600' of double braid polyester.
Old 15-03-2011, 18:30   #1304

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post

Thanks Dave that's even cheaper then what I found.

I'm not worried about different colors for different purposes. I have labels on the mast for the topping lift, main sail, spinaker, and jib halyards. The main is Galvanized 1/4 cable. No rust and no corrosion yet. Looks like it's been there a while to. This 72 contest is really a pretty straight forward boat and simplicity is an added feature that is really impressing the Heck outta me.

I also have a 3/8 line running half way up the mast just below the spreaders. What would this be used for? It faces forward of the mast. Anyone got an idea? I'm thinking spinaker pole.
Old 15-03-2011, 20:49   #1305

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
get 500 ft it will soon stretch to 600.......
And it will get very stickery if it doesn't break first !

Ayn Rand
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising