Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 21-01-2011, 09:08   #886

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage
My big boat is 37ft built in 72 - I paid and $20,000 and have spent under $1.000 on repairs in the 10 years I one it, My car is a 2000 Subaru Station Wagon with nearly 150,000 miles on it, a bit of dingsa and dangs here and there and while we like a night out 2 or 3 nights a week our idea of a fancy resurant is one of 4 places. Millers Al
Old 21-01-2011, 09:16   #887

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannpage View Post
So my guess is that you too will discover that if those great looking women have a brain, they will tire of your budget.
Cheers
Quote:
My big boat is 37ft built in 72 - I paid and $20,000 and have spent under $1.000 on repairs in the 10 years I one it, My car is a 2000 Subaru Station Wagon with nearly 150,000 miles on it, a bit of dingsa and dangs here and there and while we like a night out 2 or 3 nights a week our idea of a fancy resurant is one of 4 places. Millers Al
Sorry, I really don't care how much you make, or spend... I think your clearly stated point that it takes money to keep a girl happy is not only absurd in itself, it has absolutely nothing to do with how to cruise on a small budget. Telling people they should make more money so they will be more happy is utterly ridiculous.
Old 21-01-2011, 09:29   #888

People who are out doing it.

I think almost all the people replying to this post are either just dreaming about doing it or are just sitting in port. A few who have experiance it know you can cruise on whatever you need to. I noticed the original post used the word assuming a lot. So has he been cruising or is he just dreaming / planing.
If I had my previous boat (Alberg 29) I could cruise on $500 a month. I cant do it on my present boat (Formosa 51) . The price that it costs is always a hot topic and the answer if you average all the replies is it takes whatever you have. You just have to want to go bad enough to make it work.
Old 21-01-2011, 11:05   #889

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tar View Post
I think almost all the people replying to this post are either just dreaming about doing it or are just sitting in port. A few who have experiance it know you can cruise on whatever you need to. I noticed the original post used the word assuming a lot. So has he been cruising or is he just dreaming / planing.
If I had my previous boat (Alberg 29) I could cruise on $500 a month. I cant do it on my present boat (Formosa 51) . The price that it costs is always a hot topic and the answer if you average all the replies is it takes whatever you have. You just have to want to go bad enough to make it work.

I think that sums in up pretty well!
Old 21-01-2011, 11:10   #890

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
I have a 28' Pearson Triton and will be leaving in June of 2012 for some extended cruising (all of it outside the United States). I'll be alone. Very bare bones -- no refrigerator, freezer, watermaker, radar, etc. I'm hoping to get by on 400.00 a month. In any case, the less it costs, the more places I can get to and see!
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Old 21-01-2011, 11:11   #891

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage
All I am saying is that I would enjoy cruising a lot more with a case of cheap beer every few weeks and a bit of sightseeing mney and a buck or tow for a dentist once in a while. I think you $500 cruising budget is well under the poverty level allmost anywhere in the world. Of course I have been very luck with work. Most of the time I am having so much fun with my work that I feel I ought to be paying for it instead of getting a paycheck. It is just simple- $500 bucks a month will not do it for long most places. (be sure to budget for birth conrol to). I am not talking about big boats or expensive cars or even a steak now and then. Just beer and hamburger. Good luck. Cheers. Bye Bye
Old 21-01-2011, 11:40   #892
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Water driven generators

I have had mixed results with a water driven alternator aboard Pegasus.

a) when the prop is being turned by the water passing by at sailing speeds, the rpm are too low to water film the cutless bearing properly, so the shaft
wears or the bearing wears prematurely.

b) when I installed mine, in 1990 PMAs were not available. Today they are used extensively in wind turbines, and were I to do it again, I'd use a PMA instead of an alternator because these units generate full power at ~ 500 rpm, just the kind of speed practical here.

Considering everything I've tried, I recommend you find room for, and install solar panels and big batteries. No noise, no moving parts, reliable.

Regarding standing rigging, I've covered this earlier, but do not hesitate to repeat that you should consider using poured sockets (capels) when re rigging your boat. You can save money by buying a roll of 1X19 SS wire rope, cutting to length and pouring the sockets your self. Keep enough as a spare to replace the longest wire on your boat. Prepare this spare by fixing a socket to one end. Carry the ladle and pot and zincs with you. You can always find a suitable torch to melt sufficient zinc to do any repairs needed, I know, I had to do this in lumut, Malaysia during the repair of the shipwreck damage.
Old 21-01-2011, 11:40   #893

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Quote:
I think you $500 cruising budget is well under the poverty level allmost anywhere in the world.
Per the Boston Globe "The world's average income - total world income divided by total number of people - is about $7,000. Still, only about 19 percent of the world's population lives in countries with per capita incomes at least this high.

Countries with an average income near $7,000 include Mexico, Chile, and Latvia. They rank about 40th in the global income table."

$584 a month per person....this is true in only 19% of the countries.
Old 21-01-2011, 11:50   #894

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tar View Post
It's a dream if you don't work towards it. If you do work towards fulfilling it then it is a goal.
Big difference guys.

Also a lot of your time is going to be at sea sailing. So if your at sea your not spending money until you have to provision and check in again.
Old 21-01-2011, 12:12   #895
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
I have a 28' Pearson Triton and will be leaving in June of 2012 for some extended cruising (all of it outside the United States). I'll be alone. Very bare bones -- no refrigerator, freezer, watermaker, radar, etc. I'm hoping to get by on 400.00 a month. In any case, the less it costs, the more places I can get to and see!
Good Luck !

Please read pages 29-35 for details on how to make the most of your'
limited budget.

INDY
Old 21-01-2011, 12:20   #896
cruiser

Cruising on a Micro Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
It's a dream if you don't work towards it. If you do work towards fulfilling it then it is a goal.
Big difference guys.

Also a lot of your time is going to be at sea sailing. So if your at sea your not spending money until you have to provision and check in again.
Amen !!

Jack Tar finally gets it....

His Formosa 51 costs much more to keep going than can be afforded within the parameters of this thread. He should be at the 2000 / month thread.

Regarding his questions concerning my experience...

I sailed around the world... took 15 years to do it... I went most everywhere... South Pacific, South Atlantic, North Pacific, North Atlantic. Phippippine Sea, South China Sea, Malacca Straits, Andaman Sea, Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean, Mozambique Channel, Coral Sea, Tasman Sea, ETC.

I have sailed on everything from an air mattress ( at the age of 3) to a CVA ( US NAVY ).

I just returned from a cruise down island to Trinidad. I am living aboard in the Virgin Islands.

Go back to page 29 and begin reading from there... Keep in mind that cruising on a micro budget is not for everyone... it is possible, and it takes ingenuity to make it happen... but there are limitations which were discussed in detail in pages 29-35.

Primary limitation is the size of the boat 28-32 ft.

Next limitation is NO ENGINE.

Next Limitation is A VERY SIMPLE BOAT.

Fair Winds !

INDY
Old 21-01-2011, 12:23   #897
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Per the Boston Globe "The world's average income - total world income divided by total number of people - is about $7,000. Still, only about 19 percent of the world's population lives in countries with per capita incomes at least this high.

Countries with an average income near $7,000 include Mexico, Chile, and Latvia. They rank about 40th in the global income table."

$584 a month per person....this is true in only 19% of the countries.

A very presicent post...

AND...

A careful guy with moxie can use the local resources he needs to live on a micro budget. Abroad health care is much cheaper than in the USA, same with food. Martinique food prices are half those in the Virgin Islands, and the food tastes better!!

INDY
Old 21-01-2011, 12:27   #898
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Yes, of course... big boats, shiny nice cars, fancy restaurants, thats how to get the smart women!

you guys have NO clue. the SMART women do not fall for bs and stuffies and money. gimme a break and have some respect for females in general.. women are not toys nor are we possessions. we are not rabbits for trapping and capturing. and we are not a species to be hunted. get real. we like real. we like honest. we like caring and concern and snuggles and smooches. we like our hand held. we like a lot of things you guys do not think about as you are too caught up in trying to preserve THINGS and materialism. we like to have company during times of stress-- just for comfort and reassurance that the world isnt falling in.. we know it isnt, but it feels good to have you guys think we think that sometimes-- so-- just be there and open and honest and see what happens.. lol
i live on a two knot broken shoestring budget and i donot mind it at all.. i donot waste anything and i manage, generally. heck--i even feed those in need-- so it all works out....

and i d o under 500 dollars per month in a 41 formosa--it also can be done in a 51--i know for a fact. this isnt a smaller boats=smaller budget thing, boys.... is a lifestyle thing. know where to shop and where to anchor and all, you can do this cheap--even with a formosa 51..LOL. ye know-- they DO sail decent.
Old 21-01-2011, 12:47   #899

Boat: Gulfstar, trawler, 43, Cielo e Mar
Cruising the Hudson River, here is a site worth looking over.
http://www.iboatnyharbor.com/Currents%20and%20Tides.htm
Old 21-01-2011, 12:54   #900
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cielo e Mar View Post
Cruising the Hudson River, here is a site worth looking over.
Currents and Tides - I Boat NY Harbor
wow!! there wasnt that when we used to sail on hudson--long time ago-- 50s and early 60s-- uncle phil went to NYC-- took 4 days and nites to get under gw bridge......no engine. gaff rigged sloop..

love to know who it i s placing RULES on sjhort budget cruising--LOL-- get real..... anyone can do it and anyone can have fun doing it in any size boat under any conditions.... smooooth sailing--i thought we sail away from rules and regulations....
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising