Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 08:24   #691

Boat: Downeast 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
Sorry for the ignorance, I have noticed it mentioned elsewhere on CF but what is the HaHa?

The HAHA ( Baja HaHa) is a cruisers rally put on by Latitude 38 that leaves San Diego and goes to Cabo San Lucas at the end of October every year. (latitude38.com)
Old 12-08-2010, 17:48   #692

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
"There is no impediment to successfully cruising around the world on $500/month except your own expectations to take all your "condo" conveniences and appliances, etc. with you. As outlined in many of the 600+ posts if you keep to the K.I.S.S. principle you will not be spending money on stuff that is not directly related to safety and navigation.
- - It is all determined by your expectations and buying basic navigation and safety items is not a budget buster. Engines, plumbing, electrical systems (beyond powering safety/nav systems), refrigeration, air conditioning, microwave ovens, etc. put you into a much higher budget bracket.

I agree totally; it really has to do with the individual’s mind-set turning around the enjoyment of the simple things in life. This is why I am now stoked I bought a little steel Herreshoff 28 ketch. Some might find it a bit cramped, but as I have posted above, I have transferred my minimalist philosophy from bushwalking and trekking to cruising. As such, the accommodations in the boat are pure opulence in comparison to my mountaineering tent.

The other thing I have transferred with the minimalist approach is the safety needs for harsh climates. I use the word “needs” not “wants” strictly. When you only have a backpack that you have to carry long distances and even up mountains every inclusion needs to be scrutinised. Although you might want something the real question is do you really need it and more importantly how will the item contribute to your survival?

Having worked as a professional fisherman has also helped me enjoy life on the sea. In this line of work you are on the boat to make money, not spend it. Still, every good skipper wants to ensure the well being of his boat and crew.
Old 13-08-2010, 15:11   #693
cruiser

Quote:
Lexan is used in hatches for its ability to withstand shock and loads like when somebody stands on the hatch. Acrylic Plexiglass with last longer and craze less but will not take loads. Since that is a liability problem for the manufacturer they use Lexan. What you use to replace/refurbish the hatches is your decision and you will have to accept the liability if somebody steps on the hatch and falls through.
I recently gooped a piece of half inch plexi in a 6 inch port with urethane. When I peeled the plastic off, I found a huge ripple across it. So I thought I would simply break it out with a sledge hammer. Think again.
Swinging a large sledge against it, I could neither break it nor pound it out, until I had cut as much of the urethane as I could reach. Then I was able to pound it out ,with much effort, but couldn't break it. I don't worry about half inch plexi breaking any more.
Half inch plexi fore hatch tops were common back in the 60's and 70's . I have never heard of any breaking, despite the number of people walking on them, over many years.
Old 14-08-2010, 12:44   #694

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Simply put manufacturers are not going to use a product that is more expensive when there is another product that is equal or better. So their use of a particular item is based on the positive contribution to the bottom line and ability to compete with other manufacturers. And of course, there is more to the cost of a particular item than its singular price - there is legal, liability, warranty, and ease of installation by workers plus a hundred other considerations that are all factored into whether to use this or that item.
Old 15-08-2010, 14:42   #695
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Enroute Barbuda

Hi,

Just a few notes regarding costs enroute Barbuda.

Eggs at the large supermarket in St. Martin cost $0.99 / dozen.

Pears were a dollar / kilo

Lipton Tea $6 / 100 bags.

Lots of wines at $ 3-4 / bottle

Pork $ 4 / kilo

Chicken(whole) $ 9

Canned Stewed Tomatoes $1.25/can

Pasta and flour were cheap...

Ditto sugar..

Baguettes $ 0.95 each

The secret to using cabbage as a substitute for lettuce is to shred it. You can do this with one of those sheet metal vegetable shredders..

My favorite slaw dressing is 1/4 C of oil and likewise of lemon juice, salt, pepper and oregano. Add some mayo for a richer sauce.

Made falafel for dinner the other night... wife loved it... great substitute for hamburger...

Made broccoli and pasta too.... great new way to use broccoli...

Barbuda is a lovely place... we have 11 miles of beach to ourselves...

The local resort provides free WiFi, which reaches our boat.

A local chap caught 2 Trevalli this morning about 2 Kg each. Surf cast with a fresh water rod and reel using a plug.

I counted 30 places sea turtles have come ashore to lay their eggs in the past week.

Sand bottom.. all the way out...

No where to spand money...

Fair Winds...

Re:

Lexan vs plexiglass... I have both on the ship. the plexiglass has craced
on the overhead hatch, and I'm replacing it with lexan.. my Lexan hatch tops have fogged over the years due to skuffs, but are still sound.. The only thing still in good condition is the tempered glass in the windows.

Figure the plastics are good for 20 years....

INDY
Old 15-08-2010, 14:53   #696
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Plastic in ports and windows..

Quote:
No, you are not being a S-A, Doodles, you are just paying attention. - But you are being unfair - how are we going to maintain the chaotic drift of this thread if you keep paying attention?
- - I am still not clear who is trying to do what - sounds like somebody is trying to remove old bronze portlights/portholes from the cabin top and then glue pieces of plexiglass/lexan over the resultant holes.
- - If that is the case then it is a seriously bad idea. Hulls flex and twist when underway is different between the hull and any glued or bolted on flat plates of plexiglass/lexan. Many have done just that as a quick fix and even some boat manufacturers have tried it - but it isn't long before the "windows" leak and water gets inside the boat. And the whole thing ends up looking "junky" (can't use the proper word as this is a family rated forum).
- - I am with the posters who said to refurbish the original bronze portlights and then reinstall them - maybe with some better engineering techniques - but essentially the same as they were originally installed by the manufacturer of the boat.
Plastic whether plexiglas or lexan changes dimension with temperature to a much greater degree than fiberglas or metal. There are caulkings designed to bond these to metal and those have held up on Pegasus for 20 years now... When using fasteners, as I did on the hatches, you must drill the holes larger than the fasteners to permit movement of the plastic, otherwise you create stress and get cracks.

If you have bronze or other metal framed ports, consider tempered glass. there are caulkings designed for this application, and the glass will outlast the plastics.

If you are replacing plexi windows fastened onto the house sides, common on many older boats, remember to drill the holes through the plastic to a larger size than the fasteners, and use washers of generous size, and use caulking to perform the seal.

INDY
Old 15-08-2010, 15:39   #697

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
We've always supplemented our cruising kitty, and the work done on the boat, which by the way, we do all our own work, short of haulling the boat for the bottom job. but we do the work on the bottom ourselves..
Our supplement is picking up a little work now and then, or swapping for items. I recently swapped restitching of a canvas cover on a powerboat in exchange for a guy rebuilding(in his shop) an extra set of injectors..
Odd as it might seem,
We now have more money in our kitty than when we started cruising over 7 years ago.
But in our ventures, we did stop, opened a business, ran it for a year, made a profit, and sold it for a profit. and we're now moving on..
We've left our cruising life open to whatever happens, including stopping for awhile and enjoying the local people..
so for cruising for less than the 500 per month.. for US, its a lifestyle change and we work as we travel, and even in a larger boat, we're under the quote.....
Old 15-08-2010, 16:15   #698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
But in our ventures, we did stop, opened a business, ran it for a year, made a profit, and sold it for a profit. and we're now moving on..
Haha wanna give us some tips on the business so we can do that? And by we I mean PM me, and only me!!! lol
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 15-08-2010, 17:12   #699

Generally speaking, if you are willing to invest and start a business that will employ locals and even better train them to eventually take over the business, then the local authorities are much more amenable to giving you a work permit with few if any hassles.
Old 15-08-2010, 18:27   #700

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Generally speaking, if you are willing to invest and start a business that will employ locals and even better train them to eventually take over the business, then the local authorities are much more amenable to giving you a work permit with few if any hassles.

You're taking it to far......just do a little work and then be off with ya...
We had no intention of staying where we are for very long but one small repair lead to another and befor long, we had rented a shop to do the work in..
Understand thou, we didnt comply to any regulations what so ever.. NO permits, NO business licences, NO nothing.. just did the work and got paid for it..
Two years ago we pulled into Berkley Marina, and were given a slip down the dock behind the harbormasters office. The wife pulled out the sewing machine to do a little work on our sails.. It didnt take long befor everyone around knew of our presence and were bringing their work to us..
we spent two weeks there and came away with just over 1500.00 more than what we came in with....
Four years ago, we were laid up in Ventura California after burning out a windless in the channel islands.. Was told it would take about 6 weeks to get one in as it was comming from OZ.. It was over the Christmas season, the wife went to work for Joann Fabrics and I went to work for UPS.. six weeks later, the windless was fixed, our season was done and we moved on..
we've always carried the idea that cruising is a lifestyle change and not just a vacation.. If you want a vacation, go to disneyland.. And the more we spend on the water, the more time we find ways to inprove our cruising lifestyle without spending money..
Short story,
A few years ago while traveling throu the San Francisco area, we pulled into Sausalito and stopped at Schoonmaker Marina.. pulled into an empty slip next to a fully rigged cruising boat.. There was a guy on the boat, said hi and he replied the same, in a very rich British Accent..
I asked him if the Harbormastor was in, and he in reply asked if I had a problem he might assist in.. I said No, But I did want to find him as I wanted to "square up" with our fees for spending the night..
To my surprise, he broke out in laughter, and said, "He had been around the world three times and you could always tell and AMERICAN as He's the One Running up and down the dock with a handful of money, wondering who to give it to."
Got to thinking about what he said and he was right.. It had always been taught to me to pay for what I get..
I now go about my life somewhat in the same manner with one exception, I dont hunt out anyone to give them money..If they want it, let them come to me.. You'd be surprised how many times I've pulled into somewhere in the afternoon, not gone to the office, and watched the emploies leave at 5 and nobody gives a hoot.. If they dont care enough to get off their buts and come out to the dock to visit, you wont catch me running to them.....................
Old 15-08-2010, 19:00   #701

So I assume you are USA citizens/resident aliens with a social security numbers since you got job with UPS, et.al. And the work occurred in your own country - which is fine and not difficult. There are many localities even in Florida where there is no requirement for a local business license. Folks work out of their garages or spare room and so long as you pay taxes on your earnings and file the appropriate IRS forms for you "sole proprietorship" nobody could care less.
- - Additionally - "hobby" income is rarely worried about by officials at all levels until the amounts earned start to get significant. Limonade stands, arts and crafts, stitchery and hundreds of minor endeavors to earn some money are simply too much trouble to go after for the tax/local officials - especially if you keep a "low profile."
- - That even happens outside the "home country." We have had cases in Grenada where cruisers have started "exchange/consignment shops" and even paid a local to "watch the store." However, about every other year or so, the officials ask around and if you are still there doing business without a permit (as an alien) you get told to leave the country.
- - Legally earning money outside your home country is not a simple matter and if not done properly. Even if you do not accept/take a wage - but money exchanges hands - while on land - you can get into deep do-do especially in times of economic hardship for the locals.
- - That last section ". . . I now go about my life somewhat in the same manner with one exception, I dont hunt out anyone to give them money..If they want it, let them come to me..." has me a little confused as to what you are saying. I presume you are taking a slip in a marina and then leaving again without paying unless somebody comes down to you to ask for payment? Is that what you are saying?
Old 15-08-2010, 19:32   #702

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Quote:
Only for a day or two - they had the boat in storage and just launched it. And that is something to remember - you need to set aside money for a haul-out and bottom job every couple of years. Storage down here is fairly cheap at less than $300/mo for such a small boat.
So storage at $300/mo leaves $200/mo for everything else if you are sticking to the $500/mo. Not possible. A person who is cruising full-time must consider ALL money spent during the year as his cruising expenses. That includes haul-outs and all living expenses while boat is in "storage." BTW, if one is living aboard and cruising full-time, when is the boat "stored?"
Old 15-08-2010, 19:44   #703

$500/mo does not mean every month you cannot exceed that figure. That is why the thread is a bit mis-labeled. What Indy is really getting to is "minimalist budget" cruising on about $6K per year. There will be months were you will spend half of the $500 and months when you will have to spend more than $500. But over a year or more it will average to about $500/month.
- - As was mentioned and assumed by many, the $500 is for normal expenses and in all cases you needed to have a "slush fund" somewhere to take care of extraordinary expenses that might pop up. Say for instance a father/mother/in-law medical problem/demise which requires you to fly home. There are many reasons for storing a boat - one of the best is to fly home and work for awhile to replenish a cruising kitty depleted by some extra-ordinary event. In this particular case it was probably the grand parents wanting to spend time with their grand kids and sponsoring the trip back home.
- - While you are cruising in the "minimalist budget" mode you can use the techniques in this thread to keep your average near to $500/month. But there are a million and one things that can happen that causes you to have to leave the vessel. Since those circumstances are outside the intent of this discussion the costs associated are ignored.
Old 15-08-2010, 22:58   #704

Boat: Somebody else's boat......
Interesting and informative post...

Thanks to all who have contributed as it has certainly given me a greater insight on many issues:

Maintenance
Equipment selection
Route / country selection

I am sad to see, however, NOT surprised mind you, that it seems to be the goal of most countries / jurisdictions to suck every possible dime out of the cruising community as is possible.
Old 15-08-2010, 23:07   #705

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Mosby View Post

..... it seems to be the goal ..... to suck every possible dime out .....as is possible.
Where in life does that NOT apply?

To win the game, you need to be happy with what you have, and willing to share it.

I haven't won yet.

Tags
cruising