Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 15-03-2011, 21:39   #1306

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I'm not worried about different colors for different purposes.
I get that skipper. Sorry I mentioned it.
Old 16-03-2011, 14:57   #1307

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
I also have a 3/8 line running half way up the mast just below the spreaders. What would this be used for? It faces forward of the mast. Anyone got an idea? I'm thinking spinaker pole.
Yes, probably the topping lift for the pole.

Alain
Old 16-03-2011, 15:30   #1308
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have had good luck with Columbia Basin Knot.

CBKnot
Old 18-03-2011, 01:25   #1309

What I think we really learned on this thread overall is that if you ask a question, and then don't get the answers you wanted; then the people providing the answers are idiots!
Old 18-03-2011, 05:21   #1310

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by markspencer View Post
What I think we really learned on this thread overall is that if you ask a question, and then don't get the answers you wanted; then the people providing the answers are idiots!

Maybe for some. But I have considered this thread a wealth of knowledge and a great source of information. To each his or her own though.
Old 18-03-2011, 05:26   #1311

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by markspencer View Post
You forgot the rest of the thought - " and/or the person asking the question is an idiot for not comprehending the answers."
Old 18-03-2011, 06:25   #1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
You forgot the rest of the thought - " and/or the person asking the question is an idiot for not comprehending the answers."
And to put a fancy bow on it:

"[And] struts and frets his hour upon the stage. And then is heard no more: it is a tale. Told by an idiot, full ofsound and fury, signifying nothing. ..." Willy S
Old 18-03-2011, 14:49   #1313

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

After 88 pages (my screen) its hard to predict where the thread may wander. -- like pushing a rope or a game of 'Telegraph'.

I presume the smaller the boat, the easier to hit 500/month is in one of those 88.

Remember that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

We went to the boat show in Chicago. We are way ahead of 500/month. We made a lot of vendors very happy. I look forward to the day we have enough boat candy.
Old 18-03-2011, 18:14   #1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
After 88 pages (my screen) its hard to predict where the thread may wander. -- like pushing a rope or a game of 'Telegraph'. Thread wander. Thread wander? Thread wander...this thread?
I RAISED THE ISSue before about searching this thread. Lotta goods here, if you can find them.

I presume the smaller the boat, the easier to hit 500/month is in one of those 88. Yep

This thread is the exception to the rule. See above. It's surprising to me how many advocates for the minimalist liveaboard budget don't appear to have any sailing experience at all. I'm trying to tiptoe along here, but it's obvious when you don't know what you're talking about.

And nothing wrong with that beyond it annoys others when you even hint at expertise. If you've been doing it one way for 20 years it must be working. What's the question?

e went to the boat show in Chicago. We are way ahead of 500/month. We made a lot of vendors very happy. I look forward to the day we have enough boat candy.
Don't wait. You can always find another job. I know a lot of unemployed folks. My take is that the people who want to work are working.
Old 18-03-2011, 18:41   #1315
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
After 88 pages (my screen) its hard to predict where the thread may wander. -- like pushing a rope or a game of 'Telegraph'.

I presume the smaller the boat, the easier to hit 500/month is in one of those 88.

We went to the boat show in Chicago. We are way ahead of 500/month. We made a lot of vendors very happy. I look forward to the day we have enough boat candy.
So... what are you doing on this thread... Slumming or Bragging....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-03-2011, 07:03   #1316

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

There is something we don't talk about and that is exchange rates. When I went to China the rate was 7 to 1 . 700 yen (RMB) for ever 100 dollars. Such a deal!
Most are saying that you cannot do 500 a month but they are in the usual tourist traps of the Med or the islands. St Barts is Expensive and a good exchange rate won't be had if they don't use the Dollar anyway.

You can still cruise central America (Which is the Caribbean) very cheaply. Honduras, Guatemala is going at a rate of about 15 to 18 to 1. Why go to the USVI if you can see other cultures and landscapes at a more reasonable rate? Not to mention 500 a month at a rate of 18 to 1 is 9000 a month.

Are you going to say you can't live on that?
Old 19-03-2011, 07:42   #1317

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
There is something we don't talk about and that is exchange rates. When I went to China the rate was 7 to 1 . 700 yen (RMB) for ever 100 dollars. Such a deal!
Most are saying that you cannot do 500 a month but they are in the usual tourist traps of the Med or the islands. St Barts is Expensive and a good exchange rate won't be had if they don't use the Dollar anyway.

You can still cruise central America (Which is the Caribbean) very cheaply. Honduras, Guatemala is going at a rate of about 15 to 18 to 1. Why go to the USVI if you can see other cultures and landscapes at a more reasonable rate? Not to mention 500 a month at a rate of 18 to 1 is 9000 a month.

Are you going to say you can't live on that?
I don't think its quite that simple.
Old 19-03-2011, 07:54   #1318
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I don't think its quite that simple.
Why not.... worried about pirates....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-03-2011, 08:09   #1319
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
And nothing wrong with that beyond it annoys others when you even hint at expertise.

My pet peeve is folks who think that if knowledge didn't come whilst being on a boat then not only does it not count, but also should not be shared with others...........especially knowledge gained for things like not setting fire to your head with a gallon of petrol Could argue that only those who have done so (on a boat ) are qualified to give an answer. but others have experiances that lead them to understand the reasons why it is not the best cure for dandruff......without ever actually striking a match. But, as always, YMMV.

Quote:
If you've been doing it one way for 20 years it must be working. What's the question?

My day job involves folks who spend the best part of there careers doing things wrong. and businesses doing the same often both puzzling over the outcomes - but not always. Ignorance is often bliss and some people really are as thick as sh#t But I can't really complain as it pays my bills but IME spending 20 years doing something don't automatically mean it must be working well. and in my book if ain't working well, it's working badly........often means someone learnt badly. and don't have the wit to question if a better way............
Old 19-03-2011, 08:11   #1320

Boat: Only a wishlist currently

This thread seems to be suffering from topic drift lol Not sure what anchoring methods have to do with the topic; cost of braid rope maybe. Oh well, informative none the less. And as always, entertaining
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising