Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 14-02-2011, 07:33   #1006
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
The Basics....

As Brent and Atoll have mentioned, the lure of gadgets is the bane of the
micro-budget cruiser.

We have discussed the essentials on pp 28-36. Perhaps now is a good time to reprise them........

a) a cutter whose LOA is 28-34 ft.
b) replace and refurbish the above IAW the "Am I Ready To Go Checklist"
c) sails for the above in good condition
d) magnetic compass mounted in binnacle, swung, deviation noted and inscribed on a card.
e) hand lead or depth sounder
f) VHF, handheld is OK.
g) dividers, weems plotter, pencils, logbook
h) hand bearing compass
i) a working cooker
j) navigation and cabin lamps, oil or LED
k) pilots, radio signals book, plotting sheets, astronomy book, cruising guides
l) charts
m) if going off shore, metal sextant, stopwatch, sight reduction tables, almanac
n) hard dinghy with sufficient foam flotation built in to serve as lifeboat, oars, compass, sailing rig.
o) personal effects
p) first aid kit
q) provisions
r) shortwave receiver - Grundig is $ 129
s) taffrail log

One may notice that there are no electronics necessary at all.....

Desirables...

Electronic depth sounder
GPS
SumLog
SSB

INDY
Old 14-02-2011, 07:38   #1007

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
You've almost described our boat to a T. Our additions above those mentioned above are 12V refrigeration, wind gen.........no more.
We're steered by a windvane, powered by solar and wind (but there is an engine too) We're using handheld gps and paper charts. All of the sails are new and the boat has been combed over. The goal is to stick to an average of 1k/M, less if able to offset the months of more.
Old 14-02-2011, 07:39   #1008
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the concise summation, INDY . . . and congratulations on starting a thread that has gone over 1000 posts.

TaoJones
Old 14-02-2011, 07:41   #1009

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Thanks for the concise summation, INDY . . . and congratulations on starting a thread that has gone over 1000 posts.

TaoJones

Yes, thank-you.
I've saved this page for future reference.
Kenny
Old 14-02-2011, 07:47   #1010

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Stolen Post

Get facts right there was a $500/month thread before this one
Clyde
Old 14-02-2011, 08:02   #1011
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Get facts right there was a $500/month thread before this one
Clyde
Did it have this kind of traction? Not many threads ever make it to 1000 posts.

TaoJones
Old 14-02-2011, 08:08   #1012

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Spartan siglehander

Did not push a Spartan single-hander type of cruiser.
337 replies, 25906 readers
Clyde
Old 14-02-2011, 08:12   #1013
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Perhaps it indicates that there are three times as many people cruising on a shoestring as there are those not forced to pursue cruising as a "spartan singlehander."

TaoJones
Old 14-02-2011, 08:17   #1014
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

The 'Spartan Single Hander' just has lower start up costs... smaller boat 21 - 27ft.. and related re-rigging etc... the actual $500/mth living/running costs is still challenging at times... only needs a coupla good nights out...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 14-02-2011, 08:31   #1015

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
I just put a bid in on a 1972 contest33. I am on my way to single handling on a tight budget.
I think this boat can take me anywhere I need to go.I just need to upgrade a few things and get her in shape for a long voyage.
Old 14-02-2011, 13:06   #1016
cruiser

A Tale of Two Cruisers.....

Once upon a time there were two yachtsmen, both wanted to circumnavigate.

One bought a 30 ft sloop of renown and sailed to St. Thomas. The other bought a 27 ft sloop of renown. Seeking larger boats, the first bought a 45' south african cutter designed by Roberts at a Marshall's auction. Cost $35,000. The second built a 45' cutter himself. The week after the Roberts cutter was bought, a hurricane came to St. Thomas and destroyed it. The other cutter was in Bonaire. In the after math, the first cruiser found a Kanter 45' cutter at a distress sale, and bought it. The second cutter was cruising the Pacific. While cleaning the bilges, the owner of the first cutter disturbed some rust ( it was a steel boat), and eventually a softball smothered with goo was necessary to fill the hole and keep the boat from siniking. The second cutter was in New Zealand.

The first cutter went to Marina Cumanagoto in Cumana, where the skin was removed, the interior was removed and demolished, and the frames were rebuilt. Then the boat was re-skinned and a new interior was installed, over a period of 16 months. The second cutter was cruising the western north and south pacific including New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Solomons, New Guinea, Palau, the Phillippines, and Hong Kong.

Needing money the first cutter returned to St. Thomas, where it can be found to this day. Needing money the second cutter lingered in Hong Kong, while it's owner toured Russia, and worked in China, later the cutter voyaged to Africa where more money was found, safaris were conducted, and preparations made for the voyage across the Atlantic to Tobago.

If you look carefully, you will note that the fist team had 6 years cruising funds and a suiltable boat at the beginning. Had they simply left the story would be far different.

Don't let the big boat trap happen to you.

INDY
Old 14-02-2011, 13:13   #1017
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I just put a bid in on a 1972 contest33. I am on my way to single handling on a tight budget.
I think this boat can take me anywhere I need to go.I just need to upgrade a few things and get her in shape for a long voyage.
Hmm.... Lets look at the specs....

Out-of-production 32-foot monohull aft-cockpit fiberglassmasthead sloop from Conyplex b.v.. Designed by U. van Essen & Dick Zaal. Formerly built in the Netherlands. 188 produced from 1970 to 1975.
Specifications for the Contest 33
LOA 32.3 ft. LOD 32.3 ft. LWL 24.8 ft. Beam 10.3 ft. Draft 5.2 ft. Displaces 11,571 lbs. Ballast 4,739 lbs. Mast Height 44.0 ft.
Performance Indicators

D/L 339 B/D 41 % Comfort 28.2 Capsize 1.82 L/B 3.1 It was designed by Dick Zaal, a very good designer.

It has an owners association, which means there is great interest in it, and resale should be straightforward, should that time come.

So, the boat meets the criteria outlined here... it all depends upon the price and condition

I recommend you have the boat surveyed...

If it checks out, go for it!

INDY
Old 14-02-2011, 13:47   #1018

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
I find that the problem for me is finding the "non-electrical" pieces.

I've searched online for tafrail logs and only seem to find collector's items. A search for navigation oil lamps turns up some cheaply made thin brass units that wouldn't stand up to the salt water in a slip. And at $90 for a lead line, I have to ask if I'm looking in the right places.

Now I will admit that there are very few boat wreckers in my area (like maybe one and I don't think there's anything older than mid 70's there) so maybe that's the problem.

Where is everyone finding this stuff? A manual 2 speed bronze anchor winch would be handy as well (hint, hint).
Old 14-02-2011, 14:55   #1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
Hmm.... Lets look at the specs....

Out-of-production 32-foot monohull aft-cockpit fiberglassmasthead sloop from Conyplex b.v.. Designed by U. van Essen & Dick Zaal. Formerly built in the Netherlands. 188 produced from 1970 to 1975.
Specifications for the Contest 33
LOA 32.3 ft. LOD 32.3 ft. LWL 24.8 ft. Beam 10.3 ft. Draft 5.2 ft. Displaces 11,571 lbs. Ballast 4,739 lbs. Mast Height 44.0 ft.
Performance Indicators

D/L 339 B/D 41 % Comfort 28.2 Capsize 1.82 L/B 3.1 It was designed by Dick Zaal, a very good designer.

It has an owners association, which means there is great interest in it, and resale should be straightforward, should that time come.

So, the boat meets the criteria outlined here... it all depends upon the price and condition

I recommend you have the boat surveyed...

If it checks out, go for it!

INDY
I won't mention the price until the deal is done obviously. But I am very happy with the boat.
I have to get the motor running if I even want a motor and blisters have been a problem on these boats but if that has been taken care of already I am even better off.
Right now it is wait and see but if I get the boat a price and pics will be forth coming.
But for now let's just say it was a donated boat to charity.
Old 14-02-2011, 14:59   #1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
I find that the problem for me is finding the "non-electrical" pieces.

I've searched online for tafrail logs and only seem to find collector's items. A search for navigation oil lamps turns up some cheaply made thin brass units that wouldn't stand up to the salt water in a slip. And at $90 for a lead line, I have to ask if I'm looking in the right places.

Now I will admit that there are very few boat wreckers in my area (like maybe one and I don't think there's anything older than mid 70's there) so maybe that's the problem.

Where is everyone finding this stuff? A manual 2 speed bronze anchor winch would be handy as well (hint, hint).
It depends on what you want and what you need. Most of the time it is easier to build what you need then buy it. After searching and logging in and out all day long you could have hit the ground running on a new project. And the best part is you know how it was built and it won't break in a year or two.
As far as a manual windlass I am with you there. I haven't been able to find one either. I can find a electric windlass all day long.

Tags
cruising