Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 13-01-2011, 06:36   #811
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Well there's no way I can match Brents $1/day on meals... I probably use that much in gaz making my coffees for the day.... but I can get by on a 50euro/wk grocery shop... Plus 6euro's for 3x6pack

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-01-2011, 07:08   #812

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Hippocrates proclaimed: Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food- I believe what we put or not put in our body’s is the single most important way to stay healthy so I buy fresh veggies, fresh fish/seafood and -this is for 1 person- and I never eat meat! no I don’t eat out of a can -beans and rice/noddles are fine once in a while , but its variety that makes life interesting and this is the Greek Islands and other countries in Europe- Not possible in this area to live on $500 per month- food alone would bring you near that number not to mention $9-10 a gal fuel costs

Ram your right you cannot live on 500 a month eating like that in Greece. You also are in a tourist hot spot and the locals know that.
Still you say you eat seafood. Drop a line over board and catch a fish or two when you can to off set your expense. And what's wrong with dried beans and rice? Zee Hag I am missing New Orleans now. A few red beans and rice mmmmm mmmmm ! I gotta go get my Gumbo fix.

I once went to a lunch in a guys work shop next to mine. He used to bring me food from it on Fridays as he had it every week and I would tell him he didn't need to do that. He would then say come on over some time and meet the guys and have lunch.
One Friday afternoon I decided to take him up on his offer. I went to a local Deli picked up some potato salad and headed to my friends for lunch. There were about 10 guys there from different places and shops around and his guys eating.
When he found out I brought potato salad he was amazed. I didn't understand until he told me I was the only one that brought something to the feast.
I would have felt uneasy if I went and didn't bring something. Maybe it's upbringing or just good parenting I don't know but you get free loaders every where on this planet not just at sea.

To me it's just common sense and courtesy to bring a dish to a pot luck or a Friday Lunch.
Old 13-01-2011, 07:52   #813

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - So I would surmise that yes, there is economic stratification evident across the cruising world. But by nature cruisers, I believe, are out here to "experience." And that means meeting, greeting and exchanging life and sea stories over a meal, a soda, a beer or some wine.
Nice post Orin. There must be some that are from a more affluent background on land that are trying to "downsize" their lifestyle and learn to become self-sufficient and less materialistic ti simplify life, but also so that they can afford to not be forced to return to work.

I doubt $500 a month is ever likely for me, but the country club on water lifestyle has no appeal either. Like many on here I am attracted to a "potluck" type social scene, rather than marina and yacht club hopping. Regardless, I would think you can meet interesting people on all of the social levels. If someone sails alone in a 25 foot boat, that's interesting. If someone started a software company and made $20 million, that's interesting too. Hopefully the 2nd guy will also want to participate in the "potluck."
Old 13-01-2011, 08:06   #814

Economic stratification, 1$ a day meals ,2 million dollar computer programmers at a potluck. I love this thread. I would hope that at least 98% of everyone out here is here for the same reason. Drawn to the sea just different roads got us here . I'm happy to just be here finally; regardless of what I'm eating
And as Zac Brown puts it so perfectly

"I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand
Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
Life is good today, life is good today "
Old 13-01-2011, 11:06   #815

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
Nice post Orin. There must be some that are from a more affluent background on land that are trying to "downsize" their lifestyle and learn to become self-sufficient and less materialistic ti simplify life, but also so that they can afford to not be forced to return to work.

I doubt $500 a month is ever likely for me, but the country club on water lifestyle has no appeal either. Like many on here I am attracted to a "potluck" type social scene, rather than marina and yacht club hopping. Regardless, I would think you can meet interesting people on all of the social levels. If someone sails alone in a 25 foot boat, that's interesting. If someone started a software company and made $20 million, that's interesting too. Hopefully the 2nd guy will also want to participate in the "potluck."
Yep.
Old 13-01-2011, 11:07   #816

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche View Post
Economic stratification, 1$ a day meals ,2 million dollar computer programmers at a potluck. I love this thread. I would hope that at least 98% of everyone out here is here for the same reason. Drawn to the sea just different roads got us here . I'm happy to just be here finally; regardless of what I'm eating
And as Zac Brown puts it so perfectly

"I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand
Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
Life is good today, life is good today "
Cold beer costs..............
Old 13-01-2011, 11:26   #817
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
my fridge is engine driven, iff there is beeer on board, help me find the place ye wanna let me anchor in your anchorage, not up your ass, i will share, if i have the beer--is easier to find help with my work i need done when i do share foods and beers-- so i try tohave some when money isnt too tight... rum in virgins-- now i WILL drink some of that, and i will cook with both ..not at same time....
i share medical knowledge and skill and i share foods and beers....
Old 13-01-2011, 14:32   #818
cruiser

I eat a lot of meat. Here in BC we are surrounded by it, one of the few things I get for free.
Old 13-01-2011, 14:40   #819
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Ram your right you cannot live on 500 a month eating like that in Greece. You also are in a tourist hot spot and the locals know that.
Still you say you eat seafood. Drop a line over board and catch a fish or two when you can to off set your expense. And what's wrong with dried beans and rice? Zee Hag I am missing New Orleans now. A few red beans and rice mmmmm mmmmm ! I gotta go get my Gumbo fix.

I once went to a lunch in a guys work shop next to mine. He used to bring me food from it on Fridays as he had it every week and I would tell him he didn't need to do that. He would then say come on over some time and meet the guys and have lunch.
One Friday afternoon I decided to take him up on his offer. I went to a local Deli picked up some potato salad and headed to my friends for lunch. There were about 10 guys there from different places and shops around and his guys eating.
When he found out I brought potato salad he was amazed. I didn't understand until he told me I was the only one that brought something to the feast.
I would have felt uneasy if I went and didn't bring something. Maybe it's upbringing or just good parenting I don't know but you get free loaders every where on this planet not just at sea.

To me it's just common sense and courtesy to bring a dish to a pot luck or a Friday Lunch.
Man im a fisherman from way back - I have just about given up in Greece, ive drug my lines thosands of miles there and never caught a fish!
Old 13-01-2011, 15:27   #820

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Like Ram, I have sailed the Greek Islands - but it was 30 years ago and back then catching fish was rarely possible. The waters were crystal clear, sort of oily due to high salt content, and devoid of any underwater life save lots of sea grass.
- - We met in Mikonos some local "fishermen" and they operate independently going out for about 10 days each month to fish. As was explained to me, the first 3 days and the last 3 days are used to evade and confuse anybody attempting to find out where they are going to fish. But they bring back fish and lobster - and - sell them for enough money to pay for the rest of the month tied to the quay and drinking in the Tavernas. Greek food back then was not expensive if it was "land" food. But a small fish, what in Florida we call a "crappie", cost upwards of US$50 per plate versus a couple dollars for local Greek land food. Lobsters in the restaurants started at US$100 - and this was 30 years ago. . .
- - Counting on living off your fishing can be a bad assumption. I personally am convinced that there is something you could call a "fishy" thumb. Those folks with one can catch fish anywhere while the rest of us lose lures, catch old tires and lots of sea grass but rarely anything edible.
Old 13-01-2011, 15:38   #821
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Ram try during the full moon period...you'll maybe have noticed thats when they head out in force...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-01-2011, 16:31   #822

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Man im a fisherman from way back - I have just about given up in Greece, ive drug my lines thosands of miles there and never caught a fish!
Have you tried adding a hook and bait?
Old 13-01-2011, 16:38   #823
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Sorry forgot to say who... the local fishermen I meant...

Old 13-01-2011, 16:39   #824
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Have you tried adding a hook and bait?
Come to think of it, I have caught some fish, after sailing all night I have found fish & squid on deck and threw them in the fry pan for breakfast! I never used a hook, dident know I needed one I thought they all just jumped onboard!
Old 13-01-2011, 17:27   #825
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
greek islands this time of year is when the octopus are inshore,all you need is a big weight lots of hooks anda bit of white cloth or plastic to jig for them on the bottom in about 30m in bays before they shelve off into deeper water.

the tavernas fill their deep freezers during the winter with octopus as later in the year the water is too warm and the buggers move into deeper water.

can normally catch 10-15 kilos in an hour or so,just gotta turn the buggers insideout otherwise they escape.

also try putting a wine cork in when cooking,tenderizes the flesh without having to beat them on the rocks.

in the med in general you need to get in the water to fish lots of decent sized grouper to be had spear fishing.

otherwise may,june and july is about the only time you will have any sucess trolling for yellow and blue fin tuna,in the eastern med.

took me years to find this out after fishing in the indian ocean,where it is childs play to catch anything.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising