Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 15:18   #676
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
"Some of the new brass that came with the boat will also be sold as well as the brass window frames. It just defers the cost of new Lexan windows".

My mind boggles reading this, Skipper Dan. I guess you're speaking of the portlights, and I assume you have bronze frames, AND you're going to "upgrade" to lexan. Man O man is there a learning curve in your future.
Lexan fogs up so badly in UV that you can't see anything out of them in three years. The " Hard surface" they sold a few years back, falls off like old varnish in a short time, then they fog up. Stick to plexi. Lexan is downgrading.
Old 06-08-2010, 15:55   #677

Boat: O'Day 28
Using lexan instead of bronze ports allows:

[QUOTE=Skipper Dan;497699] lowering the center of mass as well as reduced polishing are just a plus. I'm trying to go on less than $500.00 a month so I only have enough polish to do the little lights. /QUOTE]

HA HA HA!

OK SD, you got me laughing out loud now. That's funny, I don't care who you are. A man's gotta lower that center of mass whenever he can!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:44   #678

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrainofsand View Post
Ok Everyone I am going to put this $ 500.00 a month notion to the real test. On August 31st I am leaving my slip in Ventura CA. I am going to hang out in the Channel Islands, Catalina, Newport Beach and San Diego Bay on the hook or mooring till the end of October then south. Moorings are $ 5.00 a night in Newport. San Diego has an anchorage that is free for 90 days. Anchorage at the islands is free. My boat is a Downeast 32 (DE 32) it is well equiped now, it had hardly anything when I bought it 1 1/2 years ago with this very notion in mind. I will explain the equipment and the provison list later. I will log this whole adventure on line. Between now and the end of August I will be taking on supplies and fine tuning. I will update often. So what do you think? I am ready are you?
Sounds like you're doing the HaHa......We're leaving over the next couple of weeks and spending some time in SF on our way down.. Leaving there about the 9th...... Cat Harbor is a great (free) anchorage to hang out in.
Maybe we'll see you there.........
Old 08-08-2010, 04:47   #679

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Lexan is used in hatches for its ability to withstand shock and loads like when somebody stands on the hatch. Acrylic Plexiglass with last longer and craze less but will not take loads. Since that is a liability problem for the manufacturer they use Lexan. What you use to replace/refurbish the hatches is your decision and you will have to accept the liability if somebody steps on the hatch and falls through.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:22   #680

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Lexan is used in hatches for its ability to withstand shock and loads like when somebody stands on the hatch. Acrylic Plexiglass with last longer and craze less but will not take loads. Since that is a liability problem for the manufacturer they use Lexan. What you use to replace/refurbish the hatches is your decision and you will have to accept the liability if somebody steps on the hatch and falls through.
Its the ports on a Pearson Triton he's replacing. Not much chance of falls through one of those.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:33   #681

Aha- then it is merely what will fit and seal properly. My ports are 5/8" thick plexiglass with a groove for a rubber O-ring.
- - But the ports which are bronze or made with a metal "frame" have specific requirements to size and thickness. Some have rubber gaskets that hold the plexiglass or glass. If cost is not a factor then the acylic "coated" plexiglass is really good as it resists scratching and crazing longer. It is critically important to chemically clean the edges of the plastic lens that will be "captured" by the frame so that leaks do not happen. There are special adhesives/sealants for plexiglass that are UV resistant and can assure a leakproof seal in "frame-type" ports.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:51   #682

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Aha- then it is merely what will fit and seal properly. My ports are 5/8" thick plexiglass with a groove for a rubber O-ring.
- - But the ports which are bronze or made with a metal "frame" have specific requirements to size and thickness. Some have rubber gaskets that hold the plexiglass or glass. If cost is not a factor then the acylic "coated" plexiglass is really good as it resists scratching and crazing longer. It is critically important to chemically clean the edges of the plastic lens that will be "captured" by the frame so that leaks do not happen. There are special adhesives/sealants for plexiglass that are UV resistant and can assure a leakproof seal in "frame-type" ports.
Not to be a smart ass, but you need to backup a few posts and read what he intends to do. Basically, he's going to take out the bronze ports and cover the holes with a piece of glass. He's not using the old port frames.
Old 08-08-2010, 14:04   #683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Not to be a smart ass, but you need to backup a few posts and read what he intends to do. Basically, he's going to take out the bronze ports and cover the holes with a piece of glass. He's not using the old port frames.
No, you are not being a S-A, Doodles, you are just paying attention. - But you are being unfair - how are we going to maintain the chaotic drift of this thread if you keep paying attention?
- - I am still not clear who is trying to do what - sounds like somebody is trying to remove old bronze portlights/portholes from the cabin top and then glue pieces of plexiglass/lexan over the resultant holes.
- - If that is the case then it is a seriously bad idea. Hulls flex and twist when underway is different between the hull and any glued or bolted on flat plates of plexiglass/lexan. Many have done just that as a quick fix and even some boat manufacturers have tried it - but it isn't long before the "windows" leak and water gets inside the boat. And the whole thing ends up looking "junky" (can't use the proper word as this is a family rated forum).
- - I am with the posters who said to refurbish the original bronze portlights and then reinstall them - maybe with some better engineering techniques - but essentially the same as they were originally installed by the manufacturer of the boat.
Old 08-08-2010, 16:58   #684
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I think our OP is long gone and we are now preaching to the choir-but its been a fun thread all in all. Anybody got some bronze ports for sale? Isn't that cannibalistic cruising?
Old 08-08-2010, 17:59   #685

Boat: O'Day 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I think our OP is long gone and we are now preaching to the choir-but its been a fun thread all in all. Anybody got some bronze ports for sale? Isn't that cannibalistic cruising?
I don't think those large Triton ports are opening ones, or I'd have taken a more encouraging tack earlier!
Old 08-08-2010, 19:02   #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds780 View Post
The Peltier is better than nothing but in a warm climate they eat up a lot of electricity and don't get things all that cold. I am also picked up a cheap used unit. It kept the beer cool when I didn't have ice but it used a lot of amps.

I am sure a much better insulated box would have helped a lot but I am now inclined to spend a little more money and get an Engel unit. That way I could make ice for the ice box and keep ice cream too.

PK
Hi, in temperate climates a little Halfords 12V coolbox works well and only draws 1.5 amps (7 litre model) Trouble is that solar panels don't work at night, also the cheaper Peltier boxes only claim to give a 20 degree C drop in temperature. Now that "Captain Bligh" is south of Lisbon he is whingeing that the beer isn't cold enough! He plans to buy a Waeco "Tropicool" (30 degree C drop claimed) The price is about a third of the cost of an Engel. Boat is a Robert Ives "Four-21" and she sails really well. 110nm per day two days running isn't bad for a little boat crossing the Bay of Biscay. (Skip is single-handing) Main problem has been jellyfish that caused an engine fire :-( 500 euros to replace the burnt and melted parts.
Old 11-08-2010, 13:26   #687

Boat: Downeast 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Sounds like you're doing the HaHa......We're leaving over the next couple of weeks and spending some time in SF on our way down.. Leaving there about the 9th...... Cat Harbor is a great (free) anchorage to hang out in.
Maybe we'll see you there.........
Hi no not doing the HAHA. I am a single hander they dont lke that and I dont need to pay $300 for a hat and t-shirt.
Old 11-08-2010, 14:31   #688

Sorry for the ignorance, I have noticed it mentioned elsewhere on CF but what is the HaHa?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 11-08-2010, 15:43   #689

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
Sorry for the ignorance, I have noticed it mentioned elsewhere on CF but what is the HaHa?
Google Baja HaHa, It can be a beast or a poodle to sail.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
Old 11-08-2010, 15:47   #690

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
I've been away for 10 days or so with comms problems. It's so nice to see this thread still running. Of course, $500 per month means purgatory for most cruisers

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising