Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 21-03-2012, 12:12   #3031
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: St Pete FL
Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Posts: 783
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
My point being is that anyone who is cruising on 500 a month and taking all those subsidies from the government is not cruising on 500 a month.
second that!
__________________

__________________
Auto pilot is saying get up here and grab the tiller.
w1651 is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 12:25   #3032
Registered User
 
s/v Breakaway's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chesapeake & BVI
Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
Posts: 221
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

third that!
__________________

__________________
s/v Breakaway is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 13:49   #3033
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,929
Images: 49
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Going on the government dole seems to go against the whole ethos of self-reliance and personal responsibility, which seemed to me to come through pretty strongly in the posts of a lot of folks on this thread.
__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 14:01   #3034
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
Actually he said "You also qualify for Medicaid sufficient to cover your Medicare Part B premium" Medicaid is an entitlement. Don't get me started on medicare. Bernie Madoff went to prison for the exact same thing.

My point being is that anyone who is cruising on 500 a month and taking all those subsidies from the government is not cruising on 500 a month.

Brad

Kinda blows the 500 figure out a little eh?

I am tired of getting paid "squat" for Medicaid patients.

What a bunch of BS this entitlement society is now.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 14:21   #3035
Registered User
 
callmecrazy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: Tartan 30
Posts: 1,548
Images: 1
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Kinda blows the 500 figure out a little eh?

I am tired of getting paid "squat" for Medicaid patients.

What a bunch of BS this entitlement society is now.
Maybe you should lower your rates so normal people can actually afford to pay you out of their pocket? But thats not how it works is it? You expect only people that make more than $30k a year to be worthy of your services. I get it...

I've been working my entire adult life and still can't afford a single doctors visit.
I don't collect money from the government, never have. Except for unemployment once, which I gladly used to travel around FL for almost a year living on $200 every two weeks

I pay for SS and income tax out of every paycheck I get, and have been doing so for the last 20 years. If I need help, I would definitely expect to receive it from my government. And I would use it however I felt like using it. Its MY money.

There is no way every person in the country can have a job. it's not possible. And there has to be some way for them to keep living in this consumerist society. It's not the individuals fault (atleast not all of them) that they are broke and need help. If you've ever been poor you would know this.
__________________
My Blog
callmecrazy is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 14:36   #3036
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,311
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Sometimes I feel bad because I've worked hard and done well, and enjoyed myself while doing it. But then I get over it and am glad about it!
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 16:28   #3037
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

the system is there to be used,it in turn will use you if given half a chance

think of it this way all those years indy has been off cruising he has been creating jobs for others,by not taking one away,!

go prisco!
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 17:19   #3038
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,899
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post

There is no way every person in the country can have a job. it's not possible. And there has to be some way for them to keep living in this consumerist society. It's not the individuals fault (atleast not all of them) that they are broke and need help. If you've ever been poor you would know this.
To this point you are in some VERY good company.

Quoting Bertrand Russell from his essay "In Praise of Idleness."
In Praise of Idleness By Bertrand Russell

Quote:
The war showed conclusively that, by the scientific organization of production, it is possible to keep modern populations in fair comfort on a small part of the working capacity of the modern world. If, at the end of the war, the scientific organization, which had been created in order to liberate men for fighting and munition work, had been preserved, and the hours of the week had been cut down to four, all would have been well. Instead of that the old chaos was restored, those whose work was demanded were made to work long hours, and the rest were left to starve as unemployed. Why? Because work is a duty, and a man should not receive wages in proportion to what he has produced, but in proportion to his virtue as exemplified by his industry.
Quote:
what will happen when the point has been reached where everybody could be comfortable without working long hours?

In the West, we have various ways of dealing with this problem. We have no attempt at economic justice, so that a large proportion of the total produce goes to a small minority of the population, many of whom do no work at all. Owing to the absence of any central control over production, we produce hosts of things that are not wanted. We keep a large percentage of the working population idle, because we can dispense with their labor by making the others overwork.

When all these methods prove inadequate, we have a war: we cause a number of people to manufacture high explosives, and a number of others to explode them, as if we were children who had just discovered fireworks. By a combination of all these devices we manage, though with difficulty, to keep alive the notion that a great deal of severe manual work must be the lot of the average man.
This was written in 1933 and the "war" he is talking about we call WWI. That his observations are true was proved by Speer during WWII when, in the face of massive bombardment and the stripping of all able bodied men to the front he increased production.

The obvious follow on quote to the above is from "The Wind in the Willows":

Quote:
Ratty: If you believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing, half so worth doing as - simply messing around in boats!
__________________
hpeer is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 17:30   #3039
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Britain just announced that raxpayers are going to receive an accounting pound by pound where their tax money is being spent in an attempt to raise awareness of entitlements.

I have no problem helping those that can't work. It is annoying to subsidize those that wont work.
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 17:32   #3040
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,311
Images: 75
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

“And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.

So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 18:01   #3041
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,899
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Britain just announced that raxpayers are going to receive an accounting pound by pound where their tax money is being spent in an attempt to raise awareness of entitlements.

I have no problem helping those that can't work. It is annoying to subsidize those that wont work.
I would love to engage you on this topic but I fear we would drift into dangerous waters and get the thread in moderator trouble.

Not all of those toiling for the greater good are achieving their goal.

Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing at all.

Or go sailing!! Which is, after all, very worthwhile even if the only soul you heal is your own.

__________________
hpeer is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 18:13   #3042
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: From Working to Cruising & Back Again.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
Now that we are making the transition from world wide cruising back
to a settled working life, dealing with the changes involved, I'm reminded of those necessary to do the reverse.

In the settled life:

1. House or Apt expenses ( mortgage/rent, utilities, insurance, taxes )
2. Vehicle expenses ( licensing, fuel, repairs, taxes, insurance )
3. Entertainment ( meals out, shows, movies, satTV, cellular, drinks out )
4. Food ( groceries, meats, detergents, soap, etc )
5. Outfitting ( spares, repairs )
6. Dockage ( mooring, YC, slip )
7. Health ( insurance, drugs, Dr. )
8. Job ( clothes, commuting, supplies )
I think you will find this thread helpful:-

What if Dwelling on Land Were the Exception Rather Than the Rule?

David_Old_Jersey is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 19:14   #3043
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Maybe you should lower your rates so normal people can actually afford to pay you out of their pocket? But thats not how it works is it? You expect only people that make more than $30k a year to be worthy of your services. I get it...

I've been working my entire adult life and still can't afford a single doctors visit.
I don't collect money from the government, never have. Except for unemployment once, which I gladly used to travel around FL for almost a year living on $200 every two weeks

I pay for SS and income tax out of every paycheck I get, and have been doing so for the last 20 years. If I need help, I would definitely expect to receive it from my government. And I would use it however I felt like using it. Its MY money.

There is no way every person in the country can have a job. it's not possible. And there has to be some way for them to keep living in this consumerist society. It's not the individuals fault (atleast not all of them) that they are broke and need help. If you've ever been poor you would know this.

Yea, I'm sorry.

I do Medicaid anyway even though I don't have to because it is more like what I call charity. I do my part. If you need a breast reduction I will assist on the procedure for you too.

By the way.

I have never received any subsidies of any kind. Even when I had no work.

I have been poor......more than once.

I have been hungry too. If you have been hungry (really hungry) then you know it is a whole different ball game, right?

I don't think hungry people should be given Doritos and Coke though.

I also know the rules around here and realize it is getting too far off so maybe I will refrain from here on.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 19:49   #3044
Registered User
 
callmecrazy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: Tartan 30
Posts: 1,548
Images: 1
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yea, I'm sorry.

I do Medicaid anyway even though I don't have to because it is more like what I call charity. I do my part. If you need a breast reduction I will assist on the procedure for you too.

By the way.

I have never received any subsidies of any kind. Even when I had no work.

I have been poor......more than once.

I have been hungry too. If you have been hungry (really hungry) then you know it is a whole different ball game, right?

I don't think hungry people should be given Doritos and Coke though.

I also know the rules around here and realize it is getting too far off so maybe I will refrain from here on.

Sorry but hungry people aren't being given doritos and coke. They are given the opportunity to make their own choices. It's their (limited) choice what type of food they eat, or which stores they shop at, or what style clothes they wear, etc.. Not yours, or the governments. Or Maybe we should setup a big camp where all the poor people can live and be fed what we want them to eat and get the only the medicine we decide they should have, and force them to work all the jobs we don't want to do ourselves...

Or we could just forget how they all got there to begin with, and put the blame on them.

Poor people do not choose to be poor. They do not choose to grow up in the environments they grew up in. They do not choose to get sick from eating the trash they've been taught to eat. I don't believe for one second that someone who can't understand that has ever been poor.

This may come as a shock to some people on this forum, but there are actually poor people who make good choices in life. And some of them may want to go cruising one day...That is exactly what this thread is for (IMO). It's not meant for people with retirement funds or real estate incomes that want to learn how to save a few more pennies so they can keep their boat nice and shiney and extend their vacation a little longer.
(and yes I know this thread is for anybody, I'm just making a point)
__________________
My Blog
callmecrazy is offline  
Old 21-03-2012, 20:32   #3045
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: St Pete FL
Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Posts: 783
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
ďAnd on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.

Funny i thought it was the first amendment.
__________________

__________________
Auto pilot is saying get up here and grab the tiller.
w1651 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising on $500 / Month Springbok Dollars & Cents 337 10-11-2010 09:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.