Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 17:16   #2986

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

I have always struggled with the feeding myself end of things. Fortunately, although I do enjoy good food am pretty happy with just about any crap I make for myself. Which is fortunate.

... Sept 30 is the target date for a long hard think about the previous 6 months and the coming Winter and / or next year. ...

Hey, it's a plan - not had one of those for a few years

Yes sir, gotta be some head-nodding among the single handers.
Old 07-03-2012, 18:50   #2987

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Was just looking at a blog called "Soggy Paws" Experienced South Pacific Sailor. They have done a compendium of cruisier information.

Anyway they decided to sit out the cyclone season in Tahiti and well got caught. Dragged onto another bought and damaged both. I had toyed to not bother with insurance when we head out in 16 months. However after seeing the damage, well errr any advice on blue water insurance for a North American/ Canadian boat?

Seems like this would put a dint into any $500 monthly budget,
Old 07-03-2012, 18:51   #2988

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Local entertainment ... well what's your pleasure?
I think I`ve found my new cruising grounds.
Old 07-03-2012, 19:05   #2989

Thailand is incredible!!!

Thailand is wild

full of Snakes

Has 24000 road deaths each year.

Has corruption problems from Kindergarten onwards

Has a brutal civil war

Has more coups than world cups!

Teakdoor forum is a forum of expats. wade through the expat dribble and some sage advice about Thailand. Me I love it, but it is scary.

Down side

wine and liqueur is expensive. Beer cheap.
Old 07-03-2012, 19:21   #2990

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
. . . Another question occurs: Why have our representatives allowed this to happen?

Wrong question - should be "Why did you allow your representatives do this to you?"

Answer is easy - it feels good when money and stuff flow freely and thoughts about the future are just too far away to worry about.
Old 07-03-2012, 19:30   #2991

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Thailand is incredible!!!

Thailand is wild

full of Snakes

Has 24000 road deaths each year.

Has corruption problems from Kindergarten onwards

Has a brutal civil war

Has more coups than world cups!

Teakdoor forum is a forum of expats. wade through the expat dribble and some sage advice about Thailand. Me I love it, but it is scary.

Down side

wine and liqueur is expensive. Beer cheap.
I go on an average of twice a year. Not sure what the scare is. I get 2 hour massages for $15 and ...well...I like it there.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-03-2012, 22:48   #2992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I go on an average of twice a year. Not sure what the scare is. I get 2 hour massages for $15 and ...well...I like it there.
No argument about the massages. Get mine free :-) My Mrs is from Phuket. So I get to live with the locals. But the roads, the crime and mafia scams just make it necessary to be careful. Don't get me wrong I like Thailand very much. In fact we plan to settle on the West coast, around Phang Nga Bay or perhaps a little North of Phuket Island.
Old 07-03-2012, 22:58   #2993

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
No argument about the massages. Get mine free :-) My Mrs is from Phuket. So I get to live with the locals. But the roads, the crime and mafia scams just make it necessary to be careful. Don't get me wrong I like Thailand very much. In fact we plan to settle on the West coast, around Phang Nga Bay or perhaps a little North of Phuket Island.

Oh...I know about the corruption and lack of support to their citizens. When I go there, I am hit on constantly to bring them back with me. I'd like to settle in Krabi. But the way I understand it is the Chinese are driving the marina prices up with there Mansion Yachts there these days. It would be fun to build a small marina there and retire...Hmmm...I think I'm on to something.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-03-2012, 23:01   #2994

Boat: Able 50

Call it Marina 44. That should do the trick.
Old 07-03-2012, 23:37   #2995

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Oh...I know about the corruption and lack of support to their citizens. When I go there, I am hit on constantly to bring them back with me. I'd like to settle in Krabi. But the way I understand it is the Chinese are driving the marina prices up with there Mansion Yachts there these days. It would be fun to build a small marina there and retire...Hmmm...I think I'm on to something.
Here is the new marina in Krabi ...Krabi Boat Lagoon, Krabi Marina

I took a ride down to it yesterday. They offered me 50% off the regular rate since they were basically empty (currently 3 boats in slips). For a 35 footer it worked out to about $280/month + electric and water.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:46   #2996

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

At your current consumption level of $10/day that might be hard for you!

No at 2.25 a long neck bottler that's not a lot. and at over 10 for a 12 pack plus the ice to keep it cold that's even more then 10 a day.
After the Super Bowl I quit cold turkey and haven't had any problems. But thank you for your concern.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:58   #2997

Doodles here.

Rio Dulce, Guatemala (inTransit: Episode 17) - YouTube

or

Rio Dulce Guatemala - YouTube

Here are two videos of the Rio Dulce in Guatemala. Lots of Expats and really reasonable prices.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:02   #2998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Here is the new marina in Krabi ...Krabi Boat Lagoon, Krabi Marina

I took a ride down to it yesterday. They offered me 50% off the regular rate since they were basically empty (currently 3 boats in slips). For a 35 footer it worked out to about $280/month + electric and water.
Granted, it's a nice facility in a great town but i see there is no electricity. I have a 36 ft. slip for $207. If at $280, it's 1/2 price...yikes! Is there year round anchoring in Krabi?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:15   #2999

1. .nowadays I rarely drink (honest!). My last big vice is the ciggies! - but have now gone back on the rollies, so now down from £200 to around £80 a month (about 25% of the budget!) - may look into getting a pipe .
I do smoke a pipe but it's getting harder to find pipe tobacco in the states. And I did quit drinking for the month of Feb. Not sure if I'll pick it up again but maybe just keep the drinks to the week end.
2. no marina for me (that would be about £300 a month, instead of around £8 a month). No electrickery and water free by hosepipe, but have to move boat to fill up. I will be out of the marina in June. Have to do the bottom and all sea cocks and probably thru hulls too. Then back to a different marina closer to work.
3. - for me that is the big unknown, I have always struggled with the feeding myself end of things. Fortunately, although I do enjoy good food am pretty happy with just about any crap I make for myself. Which is fortunate ......will be interesting to see how I make out in practice (I know what my theory will be). I do lots of one pot meals like this. Rice or pasta,1can corn, 1 can cream of chicken soup ,beans,and canned chicken. total cost under 2 bucks
4. At the moment (until 31 March), apart from restricting myself to what needs doing am also leaving the time intensive but cheap to do stuff for later, including putting a few things in the store for later but by no means everything on my "wishlist", so may have to "save" for some things. In some respects it is cheating - but my rules . This is going to get me in June. Until then I am doing all the small simple (Cheap ) things I can.
5 No propane on my boat - but I have a spare gas / propane cooker in the garage somewhere - so I will see how I get on cost wise with Meths (Origo 2 burner). Not familiar with cooking with Meths.

6. such extravagence . Coffee is the killer here. I can get 2 chicken caeser salad wraps at Wendys (And I eat it for lunch when I eat lunch) for 2.12 a day and a cup of coffee runs over 2 bucks. I remember when a cup of Joe was 10cents.

7. My transport is primarily a Vespa Scooter . £15? a month on insurance. Petrol is around £10 a month, if that....IMO that will more than pay for itself by providing easy access to "cheap". Company kia

8. Landline / Internet access at DOJ homebase - £35 a month, until I can fix up something onboard. company phone

So you see living on the cheap can be done in America as well as Europe which honestly I find surprising.
But that just shows what we don't know and what we really can do without.
As far as Entertainment there are lots of things that are free around here to do. I was fishing the other day and a marina customer woke me and asked what bait I was using and I said just a shiny hook. She asked if I caught anything and I told her no. She said I should get some bait and I told her then I would have to get the fish of my nice shiny hook. Rolled over and went back to sleep..
Old 08-03-2012, 07:21   #3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Therapy: "If we calculate the inflation rate the exact same way the government did prior to 1990, the inflation rate is averaging around 6.5%, which is basically double the official rate. However, if we measure inflation the same way the government did back prior to 1980, the inflation rate clocks in at a mind-numbing 11%."

What a depressing development. But it feels like it to me. When did oil get to be $5 a qt? Or milk $4 + a gallon? I wasn't born in 1971 so I remember 1980.

Another question occurs: Why have our representatives allowed this to happen?

I don't know about about statistics but the cost of fuel goes up and everything follows. What in this country doesn't get delivered by truck? It aint rocket science and the people in Washington have no clue how hard it is to eek out a living these days.

Tags
cruising