Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 16:26   #2596

Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Carrying suitable safety equipment - Government of South Australia provides the information requested
Old 27-12-2011, 16:35   #2597

As far as NSW maps are concerned go to Boating Maps - NSW Maritime
Old 27-12-2011, 16:37   #2598

Boat: Tartan 30

Looks like that Ticon 30 I posted earlier is going to the scrapyard. He's parting out everything... I'm headed over there tomorrow to see what I can get on the cheap
Old 27-12-2011, 16:42   #2599

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting
Still no mention paper. It Justsays charts so if ever I go there it will still br electronic for me

Old 27-12-2011, 17:10   #2600

Boat: Able 50

I couldn't find any mention of paper either. I checked both NSW and Victoria regulations and all they say is " chart ". Back soon with results for SA.

In the meantime there's cricket to watch. Bye bye Laxman hehehehe
Old 27-12-2011, 17:21   #2601

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

as an aspiring 500/month cruiser here are some pictures of my hard rowing/sailing dink and the new sailing rig i built for it... paid 250 for the dink and the rig is built from scraps leftovers... about 500 in it so far total including purchase price... not to shabby

link to dink thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post846916
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dink8.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	35176   Click image for larger version

Name:	dink10.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	35177  

Old 27-12-2011, 17:22   #2602

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Do they have Kinko's in Oz?

[edit] sorry didn't see Newts copier suggestion first...
Australia does have Kinko's but not as big as in USA. There is also a chain called Officeworks that offers A3 printing for only 30c page. Just load up a dongle and wander in. The bigger stores have A1 & 2 plan printers.

Officeworks have 8 stores in South Australia so one should be close.
Old 27-12-2011, 17:37   #2603
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
as an aspiring 500/month cruiser here are some pictures of my hard rowing/sailing dink and the new sailing rig i built for it... paid 250 for the dink and the rig is built from scraps leftovers... about 500 in it so far total including purchase price... not to shabby

link to dink thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post846916
fantastic! great to have a sailing tender,going ashore is all ways fun but coming back is easy.
Old 27-12-2011, 20:36   #2604

Back again ! Been watching cricket and ran out of tissues.

Anyway this is the deal with charts. NSW and Victoria require them to be on board out to the 3 mile limit. South Australia requires them to be on board within territorial waters, so does that mean 3 miles in SA or something else ? Not sure. The answer will be in whatever law Australia's federal government defines its territory. Not sure where that is written.

I'll leave it up to you guys to decide what " chart " means.

If you are not going north of Sydney AussieGeoff then Bellingham will sell you a full set of paper charts for USD 244. Best I can do.

http://www.tidesend.com/index.lasso?...record_id=6627

Now about that cricket . . . . .
Old 27-12-2011, 23:04   #2605

The question of where the line is drawn between state and federal powers (and responsiblities) is always complicated but my understanding is based on the following: "the High Court in Pearce v.Florenca (1976) 135 CLR 507 upheld the application of State fisheries laws in the territorial sea. However, a reordering and readjustment of powers and responsibilities-as between the Commonwealth and the States-were clearly required to take account of the 1975 decision. History, common sense and the sheer practicalities of life mark out the territorial sea, in particular, as a matter for local jurisdiction-that is to say, State jurisdiction-except on matters of overriding national or international importance; territorial sea" has the same meaning as in articles 3 and 4 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea done at Montego Bay on 10 December 1982" http://www.ret.gov.au/resources/Documents/upstream-petroleum/Offshore_Constitutional_Settlement.pdf

Given that i believe that the states have the power to legislate for recreational boating within the territorial waters of Australia extending from the coast line of that state. As to what constitutes a chart (IMHO) it is any graphical depiction of a location which has been published for the safe navigation/pilotage of vessels in that are where the data and publication of that data has been authorized by the controlling authority - ie the State or bodies authorized by the state. So where a state (such as NSW) publishes (including on the internet) that graphic or a direct copy of that graphic constitutes a navigation chart subject to the notice to mariners in accordance with the States statutory powers (which is also a reference to their statutory obligations). Given that the State licenses other to use that data for the production of charts (at a cost) those charts would also meet the requirements of the legislation subject to any restriction published along with the charts. The link to the NSW maps/charts identifies that they are for recreational boaters - by effect excluding the operators of commercial vessels from relying on them. The realities are that no one in their right mind would rely on internet access for navigation; the one time that your electrical system/electronic navigation system will fail is when you most need it. So get a copy of the maps printed out or photo copy authorized charts.
regards:
Old 28-12-2011, 03:50   #2606

Posts like the one above happen on bad cricket days. Don't blame me.
Old 28-12-2011, 03:56   #2607
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Looks like that Ticon 30 I posted earlier is going to the scrapyard. He's parting out everything... I'm headed over there tomorrow to see what I can get on the cheap

or p/x for some labour?
Old 28-12-2011, 07:31   #2608

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Atlas of South Australia | standard map viewer

Does it say how detailed the paper chart needs to be?
It must be a proper marine chart, with the usual annotations for depth etc.

Digital Nautical Chart

http://dnc.nga.mil/DNCSiteContent/St...c_coastals.gif

I don't know what these are or how to get them, and they claim they aren't good enough for civilian boats, but they might work if you print it out?[/QUOTE]

Looks very promising and it claims they are available either on CD or through the 'gateway' (presumably the web site). I can find the updates (patches) but not the download point for the charts themselves. Possibly blocked if you are outside the US. Probably too late now to get them for this trip, but this link,

http://dnc.nga.mil/NGAPortal/DNC.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=dnc_portal_page_6 1®ionCode=05

seems to show a 'library' that covers the eastern half of Australia, including the South Coast to my home port, EXACTLY what I need. But I've no idea how to get it. I might run it past the guys on the OpenCPN charting thread, they are converting/fixing a lot of NOAA stuff for OpenCPN, they should at least know about this. The fact they aren't using it suggests they can't, as it seems to be current charting.

Thanks for the links.

AussieGeoff
Old 28-12-2011, 07:41   #2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Australia does have Kinko's but not as big as in USA. There is also a chain called Officeworks that offers A3 printing for only 30c page. Just load up a dongle and wander in. The bigger stores have A1 & 2 plan printers.

Officeworks have 8 stores in South Australia so one should be close.
Hmm, we pass through Adelaide on the way to Sydney so...

No Officeworks here though. I'm 225km from Adelaide so 'close' is relative, but might be able to get something on paper on the way through. Thanks.

Never heard of Kinkos.

Someone else pointed out that the regs simply say 'chart of the waters' I had interpreted this to mean paper charts, but perhaps I am wrong.

AussieGeoff

AussieGeoff .
Old 28-12-2011, 07:51   #2610

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
We went to a marine chandlery in Charleston, SC to purchase some ocean charts. The large freighter had just received their new charts and the chandlery sold us the freighters old (last years) charts for a dollar a piece. Saved lots of money. Maybe they have a similar program in OZ.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising