Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 15-12-2011, 15:03   #2431
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
That's roughing it a bit. The deluxe version has a seat clipped on

luxury
Old 15-12-2011, 17:04   #2432

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Rather than a luxury, I would call the bucket seat - preventive emergency insurance. I carry one tucked away in the aft head. When the MSD clogs or breaks which they do periodically - out comes the bucket and bucket seat. That takes care of the problem until I can get to someplace with parts to fix the MSD. Hanging a bare butt over the aft rail in an anchorage taking a dump does not make neighbors very happy. Only costs US$35

TODD Bucket at West Marine
Attached Images

Old 15-12-2011, 17:15   #2433
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I think the loooxury comment is about the seat and lid.

I don't know too many boats that don't have a bucket on board. But maybe you can't call it a spare head unless it has dedicated purpose? A dedicated "extrta" bucket is a bit of luxury to me :-)
Old 15-12-2011, 17:44   #2434

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

It baffles me why people don't dive on their own boat, especially if talking about it in a 500 a month thread. I learned to dive in the navy, bit its pretty cheap and easy to learn. Then be used in the "making money while cruising"thread.
Old 15-12-2011, 17:47   #2435

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: An economic benefit to refrigeration

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Breakaway View Post
In discussing boat refrigeration as a "luxury," there is an economic benefit to having a frig/freezer that no one has mentioned: fresh food storage(!)
OK, here's my question to you who are actually out there: Does a fridge encourage more expensive provisioning? In other words, instead of buying cheaper foods that don't require refrigeration, does a fridge encourage the purchase of more perishable and expensive foods like fresh meat, dairy and wimpy veggies (technical term ).

Yes, it's good to have a fridge to deal with the day's large catch, but is this offset by the seduction of buying one too many juicy steaks, fresh hams or wonderfully cold beer?

I cruise for about a month each year. When we leave the dock we typically don't see another for 30+ days (and don't see many people either ). Our previous boat had no refrigeration and it was never a problem to provision for that duration. Our new boat does has a fridge, and we now carry more meat, more perishable veggies and more cans of beer. Do I like it -- you bet . But is it more expensive to provision -- you bet .
Old 15-12-2011, 18:10   #2436
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers
It baffles me why people don't dive on their own boat, especially if talking about it in a 500 a month thread. I learned to dive in the navy, bit its pretty cheap and easy to learn. Then be used in the "making money while cruising"thread.
You can see from my ohotos that a hookah rig or a set of dive gear would be a great investment for me. It's on the list but a commercial hookah rig or even used dive gear is 800-1500 and I haven't been able to make the boat bucks stretch that far yet.

I have tried to free dive on my boat but I am lucky to get the hull, much less the keel and saildrive. I am not a great free diver.

I know of people who built homemade hookahs and in the spirit of $500 a month cruising I would love someone to post details about a cheap homemade "snuba" type 12v rig. If I am only diving to 8 feet or so I gotta belive a fairly low powered pump will work.
Old 15-12-2011, 18:18   #2437

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
You can see from my ohotos that a hookah rig or a set of dive gear would be a great investment for me. It's on the list but a commercial hookah rig or even used dive gear is 800-1500 and I haven't been able to make the boat bucks stretch that far yet.

I have tried to free dive on my boat but I am lucky to get the hull, much less the keel and saildrive. I am not a great free diver.

I know of people who built homemade hookahs and in the spirit of $500 a month cruising I would love someone to post details about a cheap homemade "snuba" type 12v rig. If I am only diving to 8 feet or so I gotta belive a fairly low powered pump will work.

I'm told that the tricky thing in making your own breathing gear is making sure that teh air is sufficently clean.
Old 15-12-2011, 18:31   #2438
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan

I'm told that the tricky thing in making your own breathing gear is making sure that teh air is sufficently clean.
Absolutely. That is the biggest concern.

Once on a dive trip we were about to go in and we all noted the air tasted like crap. The genset running the compressor was upwind during the last charge.

Oh, and for those wondering. You cannot use a garden hose. I mythbusted this one personally - LOL
Old 15-12-2011, 18:44   #2439

An entire rig with cold water suit, hood, boots, bc, dual reg, comp, bag, 5mm full suit, fins, tank needs cert. I just picked it up on cl. Was 850, but you can get the basics for150-250 all day long.
Old 15-12-2011, 18:45   #2440

Boat: Tartan 30

I really don't eat much food that needs to be refrigerated. The main reason I bought Ice all summer was to keep the beer cold.

But here's the funny thing. I spent several years living in NOLA with this girl who preferred warm beer (talk about a rarity!). For the first year, everytime I got a beer out of the fridge, she'd ask me to put one on the counter for her (to warm it up). By the second year, I was drinking them warm right along with her and enjoying them just the same as ever before.

Food is not much different. Aside from Dairy products and Meats, there is not a whole lot of stuff that really needs to be refrigerated. There are foods that don't last very long, like leafy greens, or banana's, but other than those few things you can get by for many days, or weeks, eating entirely fresh foods without refrigeration. (just try it)

I'd still like to have one, just the same as I'd like to have more money It's just nicer.... But, I know from experience (much more experience than just the beer thing) that once you get past the FEAR of doing without something, and start living it. Life becomes just as comfortable without it as it was with. They call this "adapting". Its human nature...This is true for most things in life, but particularly when it comes to 'luxuries' on a sailboat.

Fish should not be caught so large you can't eat them within a day or two. It's not that difficult, even on the open ocean. You just use smaller lures really... Wherever there are big fish, there are also smaller ones (either their babies, or their food). Subsequently, there's no need to spend $100's of dollars on Penn Senators, 100lbs test fishing line, and giant lures that have no place on a small sailboat to begin with...

Then there's other methods of preserving food, like that mystical 'canning' voodoo some people talk about. And fish are particularly well suited for drying.

Aside from the initial cost of the refrigeration system itself, you also have to generate the power to use the thing... So by going without, you not only save the money from the fridge, and the fishing lures, you also save money on tinned copper, large solar panels, wind generators, more batteries, more fuel for the motor or the generator, etc..

The smallest of the Engels is the lowest power consuming refrigerator ever made (as far as I know). But even after I upgrade my solar panels, I still doubt my two batteries will hold enough energy to keep an engel and everything else running on a full-time basis.

Be honest with yourself. How long are you going to spend on the boat without going to shore? Aside from the rare month-long passages, and the occasional 'deserted isle' getaways. You'll be within rowing/walking/biking/hitchhiking distance from a local market during 99% of your travels. If you can't keep food fresh for one week at a time, somethings wrong....You can remain on budget no matter how many times you go to the market. You can alway stock up on the non-parishables, and suppliment fresh greens with sprouts, meats with fish and seafood, and beer with rum.

If you can't live without cold beer and hamburgers, don't plan on cruising with only $500 a month.
Old 15-12-2011, 18:48   #2441

If you're sailing in the tropics, you can use a minimalist dive setup. Just a tank, back plate, and regulator. No wetsuit, weight belts, BCD, etc...

Plenty of people scrub their bottoms without dive gear at all. (i've watched a boat neighbor do it atleast 3 times). It just takes longer, and yet another reason to have a smaller boat
Old 15-12-2011, 18:51   #2442

Most people scrub their bottom in the shower...
Old 15-12-2011, 18:53   #2443
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
If you have a Dentist who is also your friend and is excited about your being able to set sail for places unknown - he will tell you how to deal with dental pain - Oil of Clove - it will deaden the pain until you can get to shore and a dentist.

- - For minor lacerations - cut fingers, etc. the modern miracle method - cyanoacrylate - otherwise known as "crazy glue." Close the wound and apply some over the cut to hold the skin together. Beats "duct tape."

Yeah -- "crazy glue" was actually developed to use instead of stitches for plastic surgery!
Old 15-12-2011, 18:55   #2444

Oh so far as refrigeration, go with a propane system. So long as your not laying it over constantly, they work great. Low energy consumption.
Old 15-12-2011, 18:56   #2445

I've used buckets on construction sites hundreds of times. No fancy seat-lids, and usually not even any toilet paper... Do you know what it's like to wipe with a piece of plywood?

HTFU!

Tags
cruising