Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 20:08   #2371

Boat: Wharram custom 44'
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Get some vitamin supplements. The old time foods for sailing were onions, potatoes, eggs (not refrigerated), and salt pork. Beef jerky, dried fish, and lots of spices go along with rice or the potatoes. The hangtown fry, salt port, eggs, oysters, and some of the forementioned veggies. Condensed canned milk. Canned tomatos. Rice. Oatmeal, dried fruit. Warm beer is kind of nasty to us Americans, but apparently English Ale is fine at cellar temperature. We have a great recipe, if I can ever find it, with evaporated milk, potatoes, onions, fresh fish (that you've just caught), start off with a little salt pork to season the pot. You can get clams almost anywhere, but save them for last, or they will be like rubber. The usual is a dinner of rice or potatoes with spicy something else. On a typical boat, flash the fish or other protein in the pan, then saute the veggies, add liquid, wine or stock, deglaze the pan, then serve over rice or with potatoes. Most of the world doesn't get that much animal protein every day. Rice and beans are awesome. Emeril's recipe is one of the best. Shrimp. Watch out for carniverous fish like barracuda, amberjack, they might have ciguatera, very bad. I forgot to add mushroom soup, easy to make and my favorite. But I just spent $85 and I was just getting onions and rice. Got distracted by the lamb.
Old 07-12-2011, 20:26   #2372
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651

Why is it everyone leaves out the most important cheapest thing to power consumption bliss? If you have the capacity to begin with you have already gotten ahead of the game.
The best way NOT to drain your batteries is have as many as you can carry.
Two house batteries is a joke. You need at least four very good (not the best) batteries for the house lights and electronics alone. Once you have these then you need to top them off regularly. Wind, Solar, and a portable generator come to mind. Also I have more then a few solar lights that last all night on my deck in strategic places so other boats can see me and I'm at a dock right now. Still solar lights are the bomb (just use good rechargeable batteries in them) and I'm thinking of getting green and red lenses for the obvious reasons.
Also if you need hot water then use the sun. Many have said on a sunny day you can heat water in a solar shower in 1/2 hour. use it to wash or shower on deck.
Why not buy a cooler that plugs into a lighter to keep things cool not frozen but cool? A lot less consumption there and the price is under 100 USD on line.
There are ways to do it but you have to think outside the box and have a plan and a method to get there before you are cruising.
I just went and spent 54 dollars for food this week. That's enough to make two weeks of meals on my boat. The most expensive thing was the meat in cans. But canned vegis are cheap, really cheap and can be added to food to help it out. But once it is opened then you need to put it away to keep it cool for the next meal in the morning. Go over seas and they don't get out the cereal and milk for Breakfast they eat things that you and I wouldn't even think of.
Ex-Calif you know because your in Asia. When I was in China breakfast was really no different then dinner. Maybe more rice or dumplings that's all. In the morning grab the open can of vegi's and a couple eggs with condensed milk and make a omelet if you want but it's all right there in your cooler. I've seen Chinese people order fish for breakfast.
P.S. They also go to the market every night for dinner so there vegi's are as fresh as they can get.

Here's a good example I hope the link works.

12 Volt Snackmaster Deluxe Family Size Cooler/Warmer RPSF5235 - $82.59 :
Regards Asian breakfast - nothing beats a good roti prata and cup of coffee or te ping to get the day started. Or a congee, or even some fried kway teow. Sticky, sugary breakfasts are western thing and pretty unhealthy.

I bought this exact model as part of my grand weekender plan.

http://www.12volt-travel.com/powerch...lf-p-1776.html

Lacking on your referenced model and mine is the power consumption. Its not just about volts.

The Coleman is advertised to pull 40degf out of the fridge. With ambients here usually in the 90s here this is not really gonna keep your beer icy but at least its cheap. I did some homework. It pulls 4 amps. I wanted to turn it on friday morning and turn it off Sunday night. About 60 hours of running and an optimistc 50% duty cycle for 120 amps over the weekend. Add lights and radio while "on the hook" and I decided to install about 140 amps usable storage in 2 house batteries with separate start battery. I have a 26 foot boat so more batteries ain't happening at present.

In any case it is still pulling out 48 amps per day if I wanted continuous duty. But all I wanted to do was charge the batteries during the remaining 108 hours I was not at the boat so that Friday I could repeat the cycle. I did not want to have to "rely" on motoring to charge the bank but knew that I could in a pinch. I'd prefer to sail rather than motor on my weekends. I needed to recover:

140 amps X 12 = 1,680 watts in 108 hours

I was gonna go solar. We are at the equator so harvesting time is pretty good. I guessed a panel will give full output from 9-4. 7 hours or a daily (24 hour) efficiency of 30%.

108 X .30 = 32

In other words I had to harvest 1680 watts in 32 hours of daylight not 108 hours!

1680 / 32 = 52 watts.

A 40w panel is about 2 feet X 2 feet and can be had for about $200. I have this room on each side of my bimini with the backstay in the middle. I would have to completely reinforce my bimini arch to make a sound mechanical install. I decided I wanted to put one on each side for 80 watts, in case I had a 4 day weekend - LOL and for 80 watts decided that at 7 amps I am in range of needing a controller. I also like guages so while overkill a battery monitor would give me something pretty to look at...

2X40w Panels = $400
12amp Controller = $100
Groovy Monitor with blinking lights and everything! = $150
Bimini mod & mounting = $150
Miscellaneous wiring and such = $50
Cooler/fridge = $100

Add in the governments share and $1,000 for sorta cool beer (40-50degf) is a lot of money. The improvement would be a much more efficient fridge but same power draw. 10 kilos of ice is $7 at the gas station here or about 140 weekends worth.

I did buy the fridge. We did run it a few times and it did keep the cheese, sandwich meat, apples and oranges cool over the weekends. we still kept the beer on ice. It did draw down the batteries in 2 days and we charged with 3 hours of motoring. It is in my den right now.

Not included in this cost is the cost to go from 1 house and 1 start battery. I added the second house and all three were new at this time.

I am fantasizing on my interior overhaul. I will install a small spillover box, well insulated, marine grade. Probably wont water cool it but definitely mount the condenser remotetly to get the heat as far away from the box as I can. I view this not as my ultimate liveaboard but a good way to learn about reefers and maybe have an attractive selling point for the next weekend warrior.

I also might take the coleman guts and install it in a small home made box to save money.

Bottom line is you gotta generate the power and you have to store enough to make it between charge cycles. To run this reefer 24 X 7 I would need 82 watts of panels before any other house loads which also go up when transitioning to full time on board living.
Old 07-12-2011, 20:39   #2373

The one thing I have built is a 80W portable solar power generator with a 120V AC inverter. It wasn't too bad.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:59   #2374

Boat: Tartan 30

For power, I currently have a single 40 watt solar panel. In the summer, it was giving me close to 15 amp hours a day (averaging a little better than 2A for 5-6 hours). That was more than enough to keep the batteries topped off all summer (living aboard fulltime)

Now, in the winter, I'm getting less than 2 amps for only 3 or 4 hours a day (and around .5 amps the rest of the day), accumulating to an average of 8A or less a day. I still only need to charge my batteries (2x 100amphour grp 27's) every 3 or 4 days. In the summer, I NEVER charged my batteries. I never plugged into the dock, never ran the motor (for charging), etc...

Keeping the energy budget as low as possible is the trick. You can use flashlights/headlamps for most things. I now have LED lighting (which I got cheap) which I use constantly without putting a dent in the batteries. The only real energy draw I have is my computer, which runs for up to 8 hours a day drawing around 2-4 amps... Back in the summer, I was only using the computer an hour or two a day, and running a .7A fan everyday, all day.

I'll be trading in my .7amp Fan for 2 or 3 Hella Jet fans, which only draw about .3 amps each. These can be spliced into the existing Lighting wires, since the lights also draw very little current.

I'll be upgrading my solar system to two 60W panels with a Morningstar MPPT controller, and mounting them on self-built Trackers. They should generate over 30A a day in summer/sunny climates. That should give me more power than necessary for extended periods of time, including running an Engel (3amp draw) for however long I need, which would realistically only be a few hours a day to keep things 'cool'. At worse, I'll have to run the motor once or twice a week if it's been a particularly cloudy few days or I happen to be using more electricity than normal.

Aside from lights and charging the computer/phone/cameras. I have an electric water pump. I put a switch right next to the galley sink so I switch it on/off per usage, I'll be replacing this with a foot pump in the future... i use the handheld VHF when I'm sailing, and a handheld GPS. Its not necessary to have that stuff wired in and running full time. Nav lights are also LED, Solar LED anchor light...

I'll also upgrade my batteries (soon) to 2x grp 31 plus another setup as an 'emergency' battery (Not really a starting battery) charged through a diode or echocharger tyupe of thing. Most smaller boats will be tough to find space for 4 house batteries. And using only 2x 6v batteries is not a good idea since the whole bank will be rendered useless if one cell fails. I could make 4 batteries fit if I really wanted to, but I obviously don't need them.

As for AC power. I use an extension cord and a 30-to-15amp adaptor. No AC installation on the boat.... works just fine. I've used my portable 400W inverter maybe 3 times in the last 6 months. Usually to run the clippers to cut my hair, or to charge my power-tool batteries (normally just find a spot on shore to plug them in at, no cost)

This is a low budget system I could get away with keepign things just as they are now without too much of an issue. But, I like nice things... I have no problem buying chinese made solar panels, led lights, fans, etc... Everything is cheaper these days than ever before and they work just fine, despite what the 'real cruisers' will tell you.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:20   #2375

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

The powerchiller is nice.

But I don't see an advantage to run the unit when the weather is hot.

Rather, I run the unit at night, in the morning before the real heat hits and in the evening when the real heat abates.

Given this regimen I reduce the total ampreage needed and I get the most cooling for the cooler.

Doing it this way, I've frozen milk in July . . . solid frozen, not just slushy.

I've never tested my theory, but I wonder if running the unit at night(70 -80 degrees for about 35+ degrees)), to get it cool, if then to run it during the day(80-90+), actually acts to warm the interior up(undo), the advantage of running it at night even more than the very few times I open it(during the day).

I think the answer to using the peltier units is super insulation, an oversized heat sink(maybe even a water-drip) and relatively short running times at the most efficient times of day.

Best thing about the peltier is that ALL the replacement parts can be stored on boat without taking much room.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:24   #2376

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

oops

forgot to add that I've realized, lately, that some ice(like a 1/2 gal milk jug), really gives the peltier unit a real jump start.

I like my milk super cold(cold enough that it almost hurts), and the peltier unit has been successful at doing this.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:02   #2377

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I got two gallon jugs of water frozen at my shop for my cooler and was thinking along the same lines. just keep switching the gallons out and reusing them to cool down the cooler.
It would save on ice and keep the vegi's and drinks cool. Not Cold but cool enough to drink on a warm day.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:13   #2378
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I got two gallon jugs of water frozen at my shop for my cooler and was thinking along the same lines. just keep switching the gallons out and reusing them to cool down the cooler.
It would save on ice and keep the vegi's and drinks cool. Not Cold but cool enough to drink on a warm day.
Best way to keep water cool is an earthenware pot/jar... moisture seeps through, breeze cools it as it evaporates..
Been doing that on the Indian sub-Continent for thousands of years...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 08-12-2011, 14:33   #2379

Boat: William Garden pilothouse ketch 60' LOA.

Ok enough of this..Try this on for size I'm getting ready to retire and I was lucky enough to get a 60' pilothouse ketch an old woody.But it's in great shape.But it will still need to come out in time .Now I'm going on SSI.I have med. Ins cost and boat insurrance.I've gone on Find a crew and found alot of poeple that want to set sail and just get out of here.they are ready to pay there part for food and such.I'm lucky enough to have a boat that is well equiped and I've gone on craigs list to finish it off .But here's the point.I have tools and I've taken the time to learn boat maintance and repair.There are enough poeple out there that are stranded on there boat for one reason or onther.Boat broke down don't speak the language.I've done this before and always had enough money for fun and maintance 50 % for the boat and 50 % for the crew you have to keep the crew happy to keep them.With just a little knowledge you can survive on a larger boat and be safe in all waters.I just can't think of being on a 20' to 30' boat for the rest of my life.Life is not easy out there in a small boat..Comfort is the word for the rest of your life think about it.I know poeple who got together and pulled there resorces and bought a bigger boat and had friends now to sail with. It can get quite loney out there I know I've been there.Same with a dink.Poeple I'm not being a smart a## just a smart sailor that likes the idea of sailing away from my livingroom and TV.And if I want to make noise I can without some one calling the cops.Happy sailing.Capt.Bill...Arrrrr.
Old 08-12-2011, 14:41   #2380

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbillca View Post
Ok enough of this..Try this on for size I'm getting ready to retire and I was lucky enough to get a 60' pilothouse ketch an old woody.But it's in great shape.But it will still need to come out in time .Now I'm going on SSI.I have med. Ins cost and boat insurrance.I've gone on Find a crew and found alot of poeple that want to set sail and just get out of here.they are ready to pay there part for food and such.I'm lucky enough to have a boat that is well equiped and I've gone on craigs list to finish it off .But here's the point.I have tools and I've taken the time to learn boat maintance and repair.There are enough poeple out there that are stranded on there boat for one reason or onther.Boat broke down don't speak the language.I've done this before and always had enough money for fun and maintance 50 % for the boat and 50 % for the crew you have to keep the crew happy to keep them.With just a little knowledge you can survive on a larger boat and be safe in all waters.I just can't think of being on a 20' to 30' boat for the rest of my life.Life is not easy out there in a small boat..Comfort is the word for the rest of your life think about it.I know poeple who got together and pulled there resorces and bought a bigger boat and had friends now to sail with. It can get quite loney out there I know I've been there.Same with a dink.Poeple I'm not being a smart a## just a smart sailor that likes the idea of sailing away from my livingroom and TV.And if I want to make noise I can without some one calling the cops.Happy sailing.Capt.Bill...Arrrrr.

Fair comment.

Even Goprisko thesedays has a bigger vessel thesedays.
Old 08-12-2011, 14:58   #2381

Boat: William Garden pilothouse ketch 60' LOA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Fair comment.

Even Goprisko thesedays has a bigger vessel thesedays.
You have to be prepaired to sail away in a land of water that throughs all it has at you be prepaired and be safe..I always say safety in numbers..A good rule of thum...
Old 08-12-2011, 14:59   #2382
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Way to go... Enjoy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:03   #2383
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I know there are probably other places this might show up, but it applies here: One of the major factors in keeping cruising down is the costs of where you go, you might have really high port fees, dock fees and everything else down the line here.....but alot lower just up the coast....safe here, not safe there.......I would really like to find out this information before I head south.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:18   #2384

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I know there are probably other places this might show up, but it applies here: One of the major factors in keeping cruising down is the costs of where you go, you might have really high port fees, dock fees and everything else down the line here.....but alot lower just up the coast....safe here, not safe there.......I would really like to find out this information before I head south.
Noonsite
CruisingWiki
WikiTravel

See Also: Cruising Guides, backpackers guides, travel guides. They all usually give pricing info on basics, currency information, entry/exit information, security information, etc...
Old 10-12-2011, 11:03   #2385

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Wow. That is cool in more ways then one.

14 lbs of ice a day! Scale it down, pretty it up and there is a huge market in RV and boating world. I am sure most boaters would be happy with a couple of pounds of ice a day. Especially if they don't have to haul it in a dink.

Quote:
The students' prototype isn't available yet, but maybe next summer….
Always the promises.

like maybe the kids will be independent and we can go away.

Tags
cruising