Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

So thats, 10 months of cruising

Old 25-10-2011, 21:57   #2042
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I don't know about other countries but I believe it is against the law to leave this country with more then 5000 cash. But I will have to double check that.
Typical Gov Bull$%&*!
There is no limit to how much cash you choose to carry. However, if the amount exceeds $10,000 it must be declared with customs.

Old 25-10-2011, 22:02   #2043

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Do not have..
1/ Trailer.
2/ Car.
3/ Garden.
4/ Garage/worshop.
5/ home on land....
but do have a large variety of sofa's.....

Any of them 21ft...?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 26-10-2011, 10:51   #2044
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Just a reminder there is a limit of $500/month on this thread.
If we travel with extra "just in case" of unexpected problems that you can expect to happen....and problems don't arise and weare able to keep to $500/mo or better....then there will be extra funds, if that turns out to be more than you are allowed to carry with you.....
Never though having too much cash would be something I would have to worry about.
Old 26-10-2011, 11:13   #2045
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
The countries if been to generally require a visitor to declare currency if you're carrying more than USD $10,000 or the equivalent. You can have as much as you want, but you may have to explain where you got it and what you plan to do with it. After the drug search, that is.
I wonder how many drug smugglers declare the bundles of cash they have and/or what they plan to do with it.
A friend of mine riding through Turkey on a motorcycle in the 60's had a camera wrapped up in his bed roll....border guard noticed there was something hard in his bed roll and asked what it was. He responded "hashish" and was waved on.
Old 26-10-2011, 12:53   #2046
Armchair Bucketeer

My understanding (UK / EU) is that the 10k figure is not absolute - cash can still be seized (pending further investigation) if it is less. Basically you need a good reason for holding substantial cash (easy enough to come up with a few) - not simply "it's none of your business" (even if you think that ).

Years ago I was queried about 3k at an airport, "that's a lot of money"............my response was "not really" "Probably piss it up against the wall inside a month"
Old 29-10-2011, 15:11   #2047
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous7500 View Post
There is no limit to how much cash you choose to carry. However, if the amount exceeds $10,000 it must be declared with customs.
I personally, preferred to open a bank account in a tax haven like the Seychelles, Jersey, or Vanuatu. A VISA/ Mastercard debit card and several thousand in cash secreted aboard served me well.

On one occasion too well. After successfully refueling at a discount in Subic Bay the previous year, we returned to do it again. Only the US Navy had "Trained" the locals and we were boarded at machine gun point and informed that we had to pay a "fine" and a "fee" for refueling. We paid and left for Manila, refueling at the Yacht Club. Were I to cruise the Phillippines, the first stop I'd make is the Manila YC, where I'd Join the Coast Guard and I'd make myself a Captain, yep, a 4 striper. Then cruise knowing you have clout.

BTW, you do not have to clear customs to leave any US jurisdiction. You simply leave. This means that you will not have clearance docs to show at your next port, but the Bahamas, Mexico, Cuba, and others know the drill and don't expect them.

INDY
Old 29-10-2011, 19:11   #2048
cruiser

Funding Emergencies.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
If we travel with extra "just in case" of unexpected problems that you can expect to happen....and problems don't arise and weare able to keep to $500/mo or better....then there will be extra funds, if that turns out to be more than you are allowed to carry with you.....
Never though having too much cash would be something I would have to worry about.
Yes, the unknown is worrisome.

The best investments you can make for a trouble free cruise are the following:

1. Simplify the boat
Have only the equipment essential for the cruises you intend taking.
Minimize electronics, having preferably none whatever.
Be able to sail the boat on and off her mooring and to and from anchor.

2. Invest in spares
Have enough of the proper sizes and colors of line to replace your boat's running rigging.
Carry a spare shroud made up with a fitting on one end and the other ready to receive a fitting. This should be long enough to replace the longest stay aboard.
Carry a sail repair kit sufficient to resew sails, replace hanks, replace tack, clew, and head fittings, etc:
Carry an electrical repair box with a VOM, diagnonal cutting pliers, electricians pliers, connectors, switches, circuit breakers, wire of various kinds, solder, soldering iron, sufficient to repair any fault on the boat
Carry spare batteries in various sizes for flashlights, GPS, handheld VHF and other items

If you choose to have an engine:
Choose a medium speed model, not a high speed diesel, a Farryman is good.

Carry spare fuel pump, fresh and raw water pumps, injectors, oil pump, oil cooler, heat exchanger, hose, band clamps, pulleys, belts, alternator, starter, solenoids etc.

You will find the investment in spares pays far more dividends than your mutual funds, and you have them when you need them.

Finally:

Invest in skills, marketable skills.

Of far greater value than any fiat currency which suffers at the whim of politicians, are skills you can use to make money anywhere.

If a professional get your TEFL, so you can teach English... where?

France, Russia, China, Thailand... to name a few....

If a working man..

Can you repair diesels? Do GRP work? Wood work? Paint? Varnish?
Sew sails?

If very young..

Can you tend bar? Wait Tables? Sing? Play a musical instrument?

Skills like these are always in demand.... everywhere

Here in Cocoa, for the first time in years, most of the boats are in the size range I recommend ( 28-32 Ft LOA ).

One of my neighbors just bought a 32 ft sloop for $2100. The owner wanted to get rid of it, tried to donate it, but found that tiresome, so the boat went to my friend.

Bargains like this are hard to find, require networking, but exist.

IT is up to you..

INDY
Old 30-10-2011, 12:01   #2049
Eternal Member

Re: Funding Emergencies.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goprisko View Post
Yes, the unknown is worrisome.

The best investments you can make for a trouble free cruise are the following:

1. Simplify the boat
Have only the equipment essential for the cruises you intend taking.
Minimize electronics, having preferably none whatever.
Be able to sail the boat on and off her mooring and to and from anchor.

2. Invest in spares
Have enough of the proper sizes and colors of line to replace your boat's running rigging.
Carry a spare shroud made up with a fitting on one end and the other ready to receive a fitting. This should be long enough to replace the longest stay aboard.
Carry a sail repair kit sufficient to resew sails, replace hanks, replace tack, clew, and head fittings, etc:
Carry an electrical repair box with a VOM, diagnonal cutting pliers, electricians pliers, connectors, switches, circuit breakers, wire of various kinds, solder, soldering iron, sufficient to repair any fault on the boat
Carry spare batteries in various sizes for flashlights, GPS, handheld VHF and other items

If you choose to have an engine:
Choose a medium speed model, not a high speed diesel, a Farryman is good.

Carry spare fuel pump, fresh and raw water pumps, injectors, oil pump, oil cooler, heat exchanger, hose, band clamps, pulleys, belts, alternator, starter, solenoids etc.

You will find the investment in spares pays far more dividends than your mutual funds, and you have them when you need them.

Finally:

Invest in skills, marketable skills.

Of far greater value than any fiat currency which suffers at the whim of politicians, are skills you can use to make money anywhere.

If a professional get your TEFL, so you can teach English... where?

France, Russia, China, Thailand... to name a few....

If a working man..

Can you repair diesels? Do GRP work? Wood work? Paint? Varnish?
Sew sails?

If very young..

Can you tend bar? Wait Tables? Sing? Play a musical instrument?

Skills like these are always in demand.... everywhere

Here in Cocoa, for the first time in years, most of the boats are in the size range I recommend ( 28-32 Ft LOA ).

One of my neighbors just bought a 32 ft sloop for $2100. The owner wanted to get rid of it, tried to donate it, but found that tiresome, so the boat went to my friend.

Bargains like this are hard to find, require networking, but exist.

IT is up to you..

INDY
This seems to follow the crusing philospohy I was brought up with, the designer of my boat (William Atkin) had as well as all of the previous owners and most importantly the philosophy I have applied for myself and have tried to push on others when ever possible. I live quite comfortably on my boat, proud of the fact that most systems on my boat were in common use when it was designed 75 years ago, almost all were around when it was built 40 years ago and the new stuff (radar, GPS, electronic nav are all backed up with manual when possible)...engine is a very reliable 33hp VETUS M415 (Mitsubishi based)
A friend of mine is a bit on the extreme side, crusiing the pacific with jerry can water system, single burner camp stove, bucket head, no winches, (dysfunctional 2 cyl engine which didn't work for years and was just replace with a NEW yanmar) and hand held GPS.....glorified camping really
Old 30-10-2011, 12:31   #2050
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I don't know about other countries but I believe it is against the law to leave this country with more then 5000 cash. But I will have to double check that.
Typical Gov Bull$%&*!
Not against the law to take any amount..you just have to declare the amount if it is above 10,000..
Old 31-10-2011, 17:41   #2051
cruiser

Simplicity...

[QUOTE=wolfenzee;807112]This seems to follow the crusing philospohy I was brought up with, the designer of my boat (William Atkin) had as well as all of the previous owners and most importantly the philosophy I have applied for myself and have tried to push on others when ever possible. I live quite comfortably on my boat, proud of the fact that most systems on my boat were in common use when it was designed 75 years ago, almost all were around when it was built 40 years ago and the new stuff (radar, GPS, electronic nav are all backed up with manual when possible)...engine is a very reliable 33hp VETUS M415 (Mitsubishi based)
A friend of mine is a bit on the extreme side, crusiing the pacific with jerry can water system, single burner camp stove, bucket head, no winches, (dysfunctional 2 cyl engine which didn't work for years and was just replace with a NEW yanmar) and hand held GPS.....glorified camping really[/QUOTE]

You disparage him, yet HE IS THE ONE CRUISING THE SOUTH PACIFIC AND YOU AND MOST WHO READ THIS ARE ONLY DREAMING OF DOING SO!!

KISS("keep it simple, stupid") your boat and your cruising lifestyle and GO!!

INDY
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13   #2052
Eternal Member

Re: Simplicity...

[QUOTE=goprisko;808121]
Quote:
This seems to follow the crusing philospohy I was brought up with, the designer of my boat (William Atkin) had as well as all of the previous owners and most importantly the philosophy I have applied for myself and have tried to push on others when ever possible. I live quite comfortably on my boat, proud of the fact that most systems on my boat were in common use when it was designed 75 years ago, almost all were around when it was built 40 years ago and the new stuff (radar, GPS, electronic nav are all backed up with manual when possible)...engine is a very reliable 33hp VETUS M415 (Mitsubishi based)
A friend of mine is a bit on the extreme side, crusiing the pacific with jerry can water system, single burner camp stove, bucket head, no winches, (dysfunctional 2 cyl engine which didn't work for years and was just replace with a NEW yanmar) and hand held GPS.....glorified camping really[/QUOTE]

You disparage him, yet HE IS THE ONE CRUISING THE SOUTH PACIFIC AND YOU AND MOST WHO READ THIS ARE ONLY DREAMING OF DOING SO!!

KISS("keep it simple, stupid") your boat and your cruising lifestyle and GO!!

INDY
I do not disparage him...I think it is great, I am not dreaming, I am acticvely preparing....but other than myself I agree with you. Too many people spend all the time trying to get their boat "perfect" before they leave....and never get off.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47   #2053

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

[QUOTE=wolfenzee;808597]
Quote:
I do not disparage him...I think it is great, I am not dreaming, I am acticvely preparing....but other than myself I agree with you. Too many people spend all the time trying to get their boat "perfect" before they leave....and never get off.

I'm working on safe and seaworthy. Reading and getting experience sailing in all kinds of weather.
Old 02-11-2011, 19:48   #2054
cruiser

[QUOTE=wolfenzee;808597]
Quote:
You've been preparing too long... Go north this year...

INDY
Old 03-11-2011, 12:37   #2055
Eternal Member

[QUOTE=goprisko;809573]
Quote:

You've been preparing too long... Go north this year...

INDY
Any further north and I am in BC, am on phase 2 of replaceing the interior, replaceing my standing rigging, biulding new deck and midship hatches, installing two speed winches. Right now am hunkered down for the winter

Closed Thread

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: